• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Clumsiness in Cavaliers

arasara

Just wondering if your cavaliers are umm "not the brightest crayon in the box" when it comes to grace??

Kosmo is AWFUL with his clumsiness. He just seems to get going too fast for himself and will fall, lol. He often will make it all the way down the stairs and fall down the very last one.. :sl*p: He even falls up them.. :roll: He cracks me up.. thank God our stairs are carpeted and there are landings so the most he can fall down at a time is 5. He's never fallen down them all, just 1. I think he forgets there's another stair there? He's a year old now and he's still clumsy as ever. It's not only the stiars either.. if you throw a toy on the wood floor he will be sooo focused on the toy that he will run, slide across the floor, and forget that he's going to run into the wall or whatever.. I always thought he would grow out of it but it doesn't seem like it yet..

It's the funniest thing I've ever seen.. I avoid calling him up more than a few stairs and I don't throw his toys on them because I know it's dangerous if they fall down them, but it cracks me up how quickly his little legs can get out from under him. If he's just fallen he gives me that "Mom, don't say a word" look, :lol: :lol:

Cody is like a baby horse learning how to walk....its halarious but you pity him at the same time. He will run and run in the back yard, get surprised at how fast he is going by looking down, then fall on his face. Getting on and off the couch is a funny task as well. Party because he is so lazy that he crawls half way up then deceides it's really not worth the effort and fall asleep half on and half off the couch :lol: :sl*p:

Wesley grew out of his clumsiness, so I am sure Cody will too. I almost am sad to think about it because it is so darn amusing!! icon_whistling

If you get Kosmo involved in pre-agility or agility fundamentals, you'll have him doing activities to increase his awareness of his hind legs and feet. It is interesting how many dogs do not have hind leg awareness. After both India and Geordie were in agility, there is quite a difference in what they can now do!

I think any puppy is like a baby learning to walk, a toddler learning to run at the park and a child learning to ride a bike - four legs and six arm syndrome! He'll get the hang of it!

arasara when u were describing kosmo flying across the floor, it was like u were describing freddie. It was so funny last night he was playing with my sleeper and it covered his whole face and he could not see, if u had to have seen it he was trying to get up on the sofa as it is very low but he kept falling back i tried to get a pic but everytime i tried he would turn a different way!!

Monty who is a very big boy, reminds me of a rocking horse , when he bounces across the room in excitement.

Izzy has always been elegant, making me nickname him 'linty' because he can jump onto your lap and only a while later do you realise he's there. he's a 22 pounder so not light; just dainty in movement.

Joly is not at all elegant, yet surprisedme, when I watched him doing heelwork with someone else. Lovely rhythm and a tail in sync.

Teddy is fast and accurate. He never aims for your lap and misses. His gallop from a standing start amuses me, because he throws back his head and pushes out his chest.

Amber was like this. All uh, legs and legs. She's a bit more co-ordinated now, but like you say, they're in such a rush to do whatever they don't take the time to think of little details like grace.

It was such a shock because Holly was the most collected, composed little thing you've ever seen. No undignified sprawls for her, thanks very much. :lol: :lol:

In Tucker I don't think it's clumsiness so much as an inability to stop his pursuit of an object. We play catch/fetch in the house. I have to be very careful which path I choose to throw otherwise, Tucker will not stop before he gets to the wall, the duct work for the heat, etc.. For awhile, I'd moved my coffee table away from in front of the couch, because I feared he would injure himself on the sharp edges (next coffee table will have rounded curves instead). My guess it's in their breeding not to give up the pursuit, because at one time they were trained to hunt. He often slides on the hardwood floors, intentionally. My siblings and I loved to run, and slide on the hardwood floor in the hallway. So does Tucker! He's after an object, running at top speed, and then he comes to a sliding stop, after the ball, slows down or stops. I live in a ranch, and I keep a baby gate up for the cellar stairs, so indoors he does not use stairs. But outdoors. I open the porch door, onto the deck, he flies, across the deck. He is moving so fast, his feet do not even seem to hit the wood. There are 5 stairs leading off the deck, I often worry he'll slip on them, because he does not slow down to take the stairs. Thankfully he hasn't fallen.

Back