• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is hoovering up EVERYTHING a puppy trait?

Katie

I just wondered whether my 19 week old puppy's habit of hoovering up everything in sight, (including trying to chew up tarmac and our terracotta tiles!) is a puppy characteristic which she will grow out of or will I have to have eyes in the back of my head for the next 15 years?! If so, when roughly might I look forward to relaxing a bit?

I think that this is normal puppy behavior that's probably part of teething. Plus, just like human babies they're very "mouthy" and it's how they explore. My experience is that they grow out of it, especially if you provide them with safe things to chew.

It's possible that the tiles feel nice and cool, and maybe that's what's attracting her to try to chew on them. She might like some crushed ice!

Tiles might not be just a teething thing- my cav is 10 months and just loves tiles and grout! I just read the post and grabbed an ice cube to put in his Kong - it's a brilliant idea, I thank you 8) By this age he is pretty good about not chewing other non desibables though :)

I'm wondering if this is perhaps a CAVALIER trait, not just a puppy trait. :( Kingston puts everything in his mouth and it worries me to death!!!

Yes, I believe eating everything is a puppy/adolescent trait. It's starting to get better with my Riley and he is now 1 year old. But he still likes to eat whatever he can reach if allowed.
Basically I think they enjoy exploring with their mouths and until maybe they get past that enjoyment you pretty much have to watch them. I still cannot let mine wander around out of my sight if there is anything lying around on the floor or outside. I really do look forward to the day when I don't have to watch him so much concerning this habit, but I think it may be a long way off. :roll:
It may help if you can teach a command like "leave it" to stop them from eating something or "drop it" to get them to spit out whatever is in their mouths. Some people have had great success with using commands to help control this behavior a bit. Hang in there, it gets better. ;)

Yes, all dogs eat "stuff".

Mary Alice picks up all kinds of things, have to watch her like a hawk and she's 2 1/2.

Charley was always on the look-out for "treats" of all sorts, right up til his last day, at 14+.

Part of the cavvie appeal is that they are little rascals! :lol: :lol:

Rory is almost 3 and still will eat absolutely anything that he sees. Mostly food things, but not always. It's kinda a problem. Like the chocolate he ate last night... Or the zinc lozenges he ate over Christmas... :roll: Or the sticks, leaves, grass outside. I have to keep all foodstuff high high high. On the table is not high enough - he thinks chairs are merely step stools for him to get onto the table when I'm gone. Naughty naughty!!!

some dogs do definitely grow out of it, I th ink. But you might try training him "drop" or "leave it" so he doesn't think it's ok to eat anything... Good luck... ;)

Zippy said:
Part of the cavvie appeal is that they are little rascals! :lol: :lol:

LOL! It's totally true!!! But it's made it hard for me to find sitters for him because everyone think's he's always trying to off himself! I've just kind of gotten used to it... lol.

He's even started responding to the name "Trouble"!!!N :yikes

Cody does this and it is DRIVING ME NUTS. I don't think he has ever had a normal colored poo before. It is always rainbow colored. Half of the time I can't even identify what is in it... :yuk:

I have taken every cloth toy away so he resorted to eat the corners off of the towels in his crate. I took those up, got a solid crate pad and now he is pulling in the sheet that I use to cover the crate inside and is eating the corners off of that!!! I just don't get it. It's like he is on a suicide mission! I can't put bitter apple on my entire house!!

I agree about the suicide mission. How do cavaliers reach adulthood? It's the myriad of berries, seed cases, nuts, bits of bark, stones etc which worry me - don't they have any sense of self preservation? Is this a feature of the breed or most dogs I wonder?

Back