PDA

View Full Version : Constipated after surgery :(

Chelle
12th January 2007, 02:51 AM
My poor girl, her plumbing appears to be all bit backed up :(

When I picked her up from the vet last night (post-spay), she had the runs... to the point she soiled her whole rear end (tail, backs of legs, ick), so she got a bum bath. Now today, she's having the hardest time getting anything out, and she's trying sooo hard. All it's resulted in is one rock-hard pea-sized turd along with some whining and yelping.

They sent me home with 3 vials of pain meds (each morning for 3 days), as well as some antibiotics (twice a day)

She's going back to the vet tomorrow to have her stitches checked, but is there anything I can give her tonight to maybe help her along? I did give her a bit of honeydew melon and some whole wheat toast. She's hungry, but I'm hesitant to give her too much in case she can't get anything out...

On the up side, she seems to be bouncing back quite well!

Cathy T
12th January 2007, 02:54 AM
Poor little thing. I have no idea what to do. I would hesitate to give her anything (my first thought would be some pumpkin) but wouldn't want to upset her tummy.

Hopefully someone will pop in here with some advice. Hang in there.

Lisa_T
12th January 2007, 03:50 AM
Can she wee? If she's had the runs as well I'd fast her for 24 hours. You could always give her a thin soup or stock if you don't want to overload her tummy and make any constipation worse. Presumably they fed her at the vets after the op, and they do say it doesn't hurt them to fast, even for a couple of days, so long as there's plenty to drink. FWIW..

Cathy Moon
12th January 2007, 04:14 AM
I would make sure she's getting enough to drink, that will help soften her stools.

I have mixed some baby food - plain strained beef, chicken or lamb - into water to make a broth. They lap it right up, just mix a small amount and offer it every few hours.

Thankfully she'll see the vet tomorrow, so you can get advice. :hug:

Chelle
12th January 2007, 05:28 AM
Thanks, ladies.

We have poo! :lol: I never thought I'd see the day I'd be happy to see dog poo on my carpet, but under the circumstances, I'm just glad she got it out. She was sooo uncomfortable.

I'm thinking it wasn't so much that she was constipated, but any amount of abdominal straining is causing discomfort. She's trying her utmost to be normal, but she doesn't understand she's had abdominal surgery and has stitches in her belly, lol.

I'm sure we'll all sleep better tonight 8)

/edit - just took this picture now, sucking up with dh, lol

http://www.fwchelle.com/bella/images/bellaresting.jpg

*Pauline*
12th January 2007, 11:07 AM
Oh she is sweet. Just looking at your web site. You should use the first graduation picture for your avatar, it's funny! :flwr:

Cathy Moon
12th January 2007, 12:21 PM
What a sweetie girl! Hope she feels much better soon! :flwr:

coconut
12th January 2007, 12:28 PM
she looks so sweet! hope that she is feeling alot better soon!

Karlin
12th January 2007, 01:01 PM
Yes, it is embarrassing how quickly a dog owner gets interested in poo (same with babies, I suppose...:) ).

Anaesthetic causes constipation, so I'd guess that was the problem; once it exits the bloodstream over a couple of days and everything starts back to working normally, the system tends to clear itself fast.

Chelle
12th January 2007, 03:38 PM
You should use the first graduation picture for your avatar, it's funny! :flwr:
Done! :D