• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

HBO Documentary - "Dealing Dogs"

Joanne M

Has anyone seen this? I didn't see it in it's entirety. I came upon it after it had begun. It was an undercover expose on the world of dog dealers. It was incredibly upsetting to watch. One scene was at a "Dog Flea Market" an open parking lot type place where people were selling dogs from 15 to 20 dollars. These dogs eventually end up in cages, where they are held for weeks before being sold for medical research. There were other videos of the treatment the dogs were receiving, they were repeatedly choked and punched in the head. I had to keep changing the channel because the violence was too horrible to watch.

There were several different people who worked undercover getting footage with hidden cameras. One young man, in his 20s had infiltrated a group that had dogs by the hundreds in cages. He got pretty friendly with the ring-leader who turned out to be a minister and invited him to his church.

It was horrible how these dogs were being treated. One woman admitted that many of the dogs are stolen from peoples yards. She said "we like to go to the good neighborhoods." Other dogs were strays, and some presumably came from puppy mills.

:( :( :( :( Thats horrid. Why are people like that? Wheres their compassion and sense of morals? Arent these people taught that animals are living beings that deserve as much respect as us humans. Strike that, they probably dont have any respect for anyone or anything if they treat dogs in that way.

Oh that is awful!!! I don't know that I could watch it. We can't watch cops on Animal Planet....just so distressing.

Actually, Im glad I didn't see that because I'd get too wound up.

Unfortunately, there are people in this world who will do anything in their quest for the almighty dollar. All we can do is keep those type of people in the spotlight. And when you meet someone who wants to deal with the mills/BYB's, educate, educate, educate.

I should not of even read this thread as it is so upsetting. I could never watch a program like this.
What I do not understand is how someone can make a program like this stand there with a camera and not kill these people at the time they are doing these terrible acts. I could not stand watching someone be physical with an animal and not step in let alone keep running film.?

Do they make these shows to catch these people ? Do they eventually get arrested or something or is it just something else to put on TV ???

:swear: :x :( :cry*ing:

When was this on? I'd like to see it, but the HBO website lists it as 'not currently showing'. ??

KC

The movie was not made to be entertainment. It was made with great risk by individuals undercover to expose, the thriving business of dealing in dogs. They are sold to research laboratories. I agree, I do not know how they were able to hold still while animals were being, punched, choked and abused but if you saw the unsavory characters, it was like the cast of deliverance with guns, and knives. In that particular scene they were in a holding place where there were row upon row of dogs in cages. There was no film crew, there was one young man, of about 22 I'd guess with a hidden camera on his clothing.

Even more disturbing is the animal testing industry that funds this abuse.

I'm like Bruce, I just get angry :x I really do not know why, in this day and age they need to test on animals. There are always human beings who will volunteer - they could start off by using rapists, murderers & paedophiles for a start.....

Jean, I saw it early Friday morning. I just happened upon it when I was flipping through channels. I have the "On Demand" feature with HBO and I looked under Documentaries and was unable to find it listed there. Possibly it will be available "on demand" next week under documentaries.

Back