• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grooming Question....Eyes

Zippy

I'm wondering what to use to clean off some reddish staining on Mary Alices' face.

Where she'd get "sleep" in her eye, there is staining which is overlapping onto the white fur a bit.

I have read about the genetian violet mixture, using a face cloth on doggies etc but need to know what takes the red stain out without any chance of harming her eyes.

We've used a face cloth with warm water but it doesnt' work.

All suggestions are very much appreciated, this must be a Blenheim thingy!! Thanks. :flwr: :flwr:

I think it's a Cavalier thingie :)

I asked our vet about this, and she said it's a trait of all breeds with big eyes (pugs, etc).. something about short tear ducts (I think?)

The best you can do is stay on top of it. I wipe Bella's eyes with a damp cloth every couple days, and of course her face gets a good washing with baths, but, the staining is pretty much a permanent fixture on her face.

I'll have to look for those two products!

I've been told nothing will help, so I haven't bothered.

Plain old Witch Hazel work wonderfully on the red stain (you have to keep up with it) and also helps eliminate the chance of a yeast infection. With the eye area exposed to constant "dampness" the yeast can thrive and cause stinky face and hair loss. Even if you don't use any of the "treatments" my vet tells us it is very important to keep the area cleaned daily.

JaneB

I bought some witch hazel....good old fashioned cure for all sorts of things.

Mary Alice didn't like me messing around her face but I'll persevere for a few days and hope the stain goes away.

After phoning around, there is a pet shop that sells Diamond Eyes but they're out til late next week.

FYI, the witch hazel with cotton swabs was about 1/2 the price of the Diamond Eyes.

Thankyou very much for the tips....shall post later in the week, as to which product we'll be using.

I just love this website and the lovely people who are willing to share all sorts of information...wish I'd known about it when our Charley was alive.

Everyone is just fabulous!!! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :paw: :paw:

I also gently wipe under the eye SEVERAL times a day with a clean wet cloth to stay on top of the eye discharge and prevent staining.

Even with all the careful cleaning, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed a tiny bit of red staining under her eyes for the first time. I used a tiny bit of Diamond Eyes and it worked like magic!

I bought Diamond eyes before bringing Coco from the breeders'. I was pleasantly surprised that wiping with a wet cloth can keep the stains away. I've only needed to use Diamond eyes that one time! :flwr:

Apple Cider Vinegar works just as well, and is probably as cheap as witch hazel. Once a day on a cotton pad for about a week. Then 2-3 times a week. Works for us. Good luck.

doesnt witch hazel sting? :? i mean obviously you wouldnt be using it if it did.....but i thought it would.....maybe i am confusing it with something else.derrrr!!! ;)

I use diamond eye and other similar brand in my grooming room at work, another groomer told me that if you put 'dog rocks' in their water (its used to stop their wee from burning the lawn) that, that too helps reduce/stop staining...I haven't tested it but its worth a go!
Dogrocks (not sure what their called outside australia) is a big mineral rock thing...?!

Izzy is my only stainer (do get the tear ducts checked) and I've never foundthe commercial 'cleaners ' to work. Water on kitchen roll (not cotton wool as fibres can get into the eye) works just as well.

Yesterday, we visited the rescue lady, who matched Mary Alice and our family.

She has a number of Cavvies, all free of this reddish stain, so I asked her too.

She uses boracic acid mixed with pre-boiled water..... 1tbsp to 1 c water.

When I read about boracic acid, it's an antiseptic....as is witch hazel.

Each day, she just wipes their eyes with paper towel dabbed into this mixture....warm water only.

Apparently, it doesnt' come off right away unless it's part of their daily grooming.....once it's gone, must keep it up.

Thankyou very much for all of the suggestions....everyone is so kind on this board. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

In Barbara Garnett-Wilson's brand new Cavalier book, she lists a recipe for clearing tear stains. I've been using it for about a week, and by golly it works!

Before bed, apply a mixture of 1/2 waterless shampoo & 1/2 Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) to tear stains (clears the staining)

First thing in the morning, apply Vaseline to the stains and pack w/ cornstarch (prevents staining from returning)

Looks messy for a while in the mornings with the cornstarch, but it goes away quickly. I really think it's working (& I've tried everything - apple cidar vinegar, eye envy, diamond eyes, etc.)! Hope this helps! :flwr:

Wouldn't you have to be very careful with Hydrogen Peroxide? I don't think Dylan would stay still enough. I got some Johnsond Diamond Eyes. Only tried it once this evening, no change, I guess it will take a while.

Looking at everyones pictures, my puppy has the worst stains. I heard it can depend on what they eat but he is on Jameswelbeloved and a teaspoon of Nature Diet (or he won't eat it).

As mentioned, you can put something in the water, do you think it might be because my water is very hard, I live in Essex, 50miles form London, an area known for it's hard water.

Mary Alices' is pretty bad...the red is starting to weep onto the white part of her muzzle.

Never had this problem with our Charley, a tri.

I didn't realize that it's a daily grooming thingy....now, I'll keep it up once I get rid of the stain.

Someone said the Diamond Eye worked right away but maybe they didn't have much stain.

Mary Alice isn't too fond of being handled for grooming, she only likes a bath!! She's got a mat behind one ear and won't stay still for me...I don't want to hurt her but it's getting bigger each day!!

Little Dylan looks like a wiggly little guy too!! lol :flwr: :flwr:

Wouldn't you have to be very careful with Hydrogen Peroxide? I don't think Dylan would stay still enough.

Yes. Simply be careful to only put it on the tear stains. I make it up in a small syringe, and direct it exactly where I want to go - under her eyes. It's easier than I expected! You can also use a cotton ball or Q-tip, I would imagine.

Back