• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

disappointing stance by UK CKCS Club

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
The Club had been considering requiring forms of more accurate cardiac testing for cavaliers.

They have now posted this on the UK CKCS Club site:

CKCSC HEART TESTING SCHEME

Proposed changes to our Heart Testing Scheme have been circulated to members and published on our website for consultation.

The Committee has now carefully considered the comments received and has agreed the following:
That owners should be encouraged to continue to have their dogs tested annually and certificated, either by a GP vet or Cardiologist.

Owners and breeders should be encouraged to have their dogs thoroughly examined by a Cardiologist at five years of age. This can be either by auscultation or echocardiography.

As from April 2007, the Over Fives heart list will include only dogs that have been tested clear by a Cardiologist. This will give time to obtain certificates for those breeders who wish to include their dogs.
The Committee acknowledges that the cost of an echocardiogram would be prohibitive for most people. In the south of England it is likely to cost £200 plus a referral fee. For this reason the Committee decided that an echocardiogram will not be mandatory. The important point is that a Cardiologist should carry out this examination at the age of five years.

CKCSC Committee

http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/health/hearts/scheme2006.html

Unforutunately the club has pulled the page in which Simon Swift, cardiologist, urged the club to take a much stronger stance on testing and certifying dogs. He said they need to come up to the standard of the US and Canada on testing. This they have not decided to do if they are allowing GP certs (see below) and only *suggesting* dogs be cardiologist tested *once* at age 5!!! By that time, the dog will be at the end of its breeding life -- what is the point?

I had not realised either that the UK clear hearts scheme allows dogs cleared by a *GP* rather than only a cardiologist! I was gobsmacked by this -- I had always thought this HAD to be done by a cardiologist. The difficulty GPs have in hearing low grade murmurs in younger (eg breeding age) cavaliers is clearly documented. In the US, cavaliers HAVE to be cleared by a cardiologist for breeding dogs to be considered certified clear of a murmur.

If I were looking for puppies in the UK, I sure would want to make sure the breeder CARDIAC clears breeding animals and that the certificate didn't just come from a GP. :?

This is so disappointing! I just cannot understand why improving the health of the breed is such a low priority to the UK CKCS Club.

Back