• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

FLEA INFESTATION!!!

moniechris

Ugh...So in Florida this year it has been a very dry and warm winter which means the fleas are out and about. We had a really bad flea infestation about a month ago and I think I finally kicked it...treated the yard, vaccuumed like a mad woman and treated the dogs with an extra dose of Frontline Plus (as recomended by my vet).

My poor Wesley chomped his poor butt bald. He has these horid hairless patches on his bum due to chewing the flea bites and I feel soooo bad for him. :( Does any one have any suggestions as to how to help the hair grow back? I currently put Olive Oil in his food to help with his coat and I just purchased a skin spray called "Richard's Organics Incredible Skin Spray"
and it has Oatmeal, tea tree oil, witch hazel, chammomile, and a lot of other natural remedies in it. He seemed to just melt when I rubbed in on his bum, it must have been really soothing.

What else can I do for him?

You might want to give him fish oil rather than olive oil, since the omega-3 fatty acids are so good for the skin and coat.

Hope Wesley feels better soon! :hug:

What kind (brand) of fish oil do you use? It would probably be less fatty then the olive oil, I had to cut back because it turned him into a fatty :oops: It has made a difference in his coat though, but I just have to be careful about how much he gets. When I cut back he lost all the added weight.

I use Grizzly Salmon Oil--both my dogs seem to love it and it's really helped my Golden's skin and coat. Here's a link:

http://tinyurl.com/yf5yvv

It seems to cheaper on this site than others I've visited.

Hope it helps. It's so hard to see them suffer with skin problems.

Back