• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how often do you wash your dog?

:grnyuk: Six months :yikes Thing is, most people don't understand that Cavaliers are NOT dogs. They are small, four legged, furry humans & imagine the riots if we only bathed every six months :yikes :lol:

Charlie gets bathed every other week as he scratches so much that he makes himself stink - to the point that it makes us heave :grnyuk:

Maxx gets bathed as and when I feel like it or when he looks a bit grubby. Maxx doesn't smell so we just go by the way he looks. I suppose it's about once every 4-6 weeks. More often in Winter when it's muddy, for obvious reasons :lol:

Tucker is bathed every 4 to 6 weeks. I make a real effort to keep him out of smelly stuff, mud, etc .... His skin seems to get dry, too much bathing bothers him. Sometimes I think he smells, but it's this business of him peeing on himself, so I use baby wipes for that problem. With black fur he does not get stains. I wash his ears at least once a week with a fast drying otic solution, I wash his face everyday with a warm wet facecloth.

I work with a family whose child is allergic to dogs, and when they had thier dog, thier vet told them that as long as they use a mild shampoo such as an oatmeal shampoo that once a week was fine, but every other week is definitely recommended as good grooming practice.

Both Dudley & Darby usually get bathed every 2 weeks.

Occasionally once a week depending on the weather outside, I use Petsilk shampoo and the oil to put back into their coats.

I cannot stand a stinky/smelly fur baby, they both sleep in my bed so they have to be clean. :D :D

We bathe all the dogs every two to four weeks. Cavaliers stay nicer smelling longer than any other breed I've ever had. What you feed your dog can influence the condition of the skin and coat more than how often you bathe them. fwiw sandy

I bathe Mia every 2-3 weeks depending on the weather--and how much food gets on her ears...

By the way--where can I find a snood? Isn't that what the thingie is that you use to hold their ears away from their face while eating/drinking? I've tried to improvise with no success...

I bathe Darby before each dog show we attend. Sometimes it results in her being bathed 2-4 times a month! As long as you use a gentle dog (not human!) shampoo, it should not affect their skin/coat condition. When we aren't showing, I don't bother bathing her - sometimes she goes 3-4 months (or more) without a bath... and she always smells wonderful to me (never "doggie" or stinky). :p

By the way--where can I find a snood? Isn't that what the thingie is that you use to hold their ears away from their face while eating/drinking? I've tried to improvise with no success...

If you do a search for "dog snood" on www.ebay.com, you get all sorts of them! I usually pick them up at dog shows. If you can attend a show in your area, there are always vendors selling snoods, and they are usually cheaper. Hope that helps! :flwr:

I shower Murphy every 4 weeks, normally before his flea treatment. However lately he's been in every muddy puddle he can find, so he's been getting his legs and belly washed a couple of times a week :D

My 2 get a bath once a week. I use an oatmeal & baking soda shampoo and a skin conditioner and they do just fine. I also add skin and coat suppliments to their food, so that may be a big reason why they don't have dry skin.

They sleep with us (on top of us more like it), and it's much nicer to have a clean pup than a stinky one!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i do a mini wash on lady's feet and belly as needed usually a couple of times a week and full bath every 6 weeks.

I was having to wash Toby 4 times a week :yikes on the vets instructions as he had a bad skin condition and a special shampoo for it. Now its cleared up I have to bath him about every two weeks to keep it under control, again as directed from the vets.

He does go to be clipped every 12 weeks, although at the moment we are hanging it on a bit longer due to the weather being quite cold.

I normally have to do a wash under the tummy and legs every two days as Toby has a low under carriage and gets very mucky in this weather.

Dogs natural oil will keep their coats clean with a good regular brushing. It is usually suggested they shouldnt have the natural oil upset by bathing more than a couple of times a yr. However, today there are good gentle shampoos that dont cause irratation and help put the oils back in if you prefer to bath more regularily. I think any long breed dog has the potential to retain bad smells more if not brushed often and the pee getting stuck on fur is a good breeding ground for nasty smells! If you brush regularily and you can always spot wash the legs and belly from mud and bathroom sprinkles. But sometimes its just easier to wash the whole dog. Breeds that have coats that require professional grooming are often bathed too often as its done with the cut/shave etc.. And then its those other lil doggy breeds with short coats that go to a groomer regularily only for the bow... :roll:

Back