• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How often to walk puppy?

kiwi

Hello,

Just wondering could anyone advise me on how often i should walk my 13 week old puppy?

I usually try to bring him for a 5-10 min walk most days, is that too much/too little?

I took her for a walk on the beach yesterday which was 15 mins, she seemed to enjoy it!

Also, just wondering at what age do they need to get 2nd shots?

Thanks for any info!

10 minutes or so is fine. A puppy can get the exercise it needs simply from playing. Walking distances, especially on pavements, can damage growing joints and bones. It is generally suggested not to walk a dog any long distance til bones are mature at age one. Especially, don;t walk any great distance til at least about 6 months as younger than that, they are growing fast and all those bones/joints are quickly changing.

When Lia was 13 weeks or so, we took her outside every time she asks to go potty (and that means 10 times at the beggining, 4 or 5 now).
But we only walked distances 3 or 4 times (15 min more or less). We avoid pavements. She likes to play in a garden near home and she plays there with other dogs at the evening!

As I put in another thread, don't givve too much exercise until the bones on the front legs, have lost the ridge, which is just above the foot in puppies. This advice was recently given by a top breeder/ show person.

Back