• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pattella problems

Hollyett

Hello everyone

I took Holly to the vet today Ive noticed lately that when she has been sitting for awhile or asleep, when she first moves she seems to limp from the back legs and they seem stiff, this doesnt last long then she moves around and runs ok. Holly is only a year old. The vet said she didnt seem comfortable when she moved her back left leg and on Thursday She is going in for the day, they are going to x-ray her and put her to sleep so they can do a more thorough examination. The vet suspects she may have a luxating pattella, Im really upset for Holly and would really appreciate some words od advice on this condition. I have to wait till Thursday for a firm answer. The thought of an operation scares me, but I have to do whats best for Holly. Thanks for listening. :(

Hi there. It does sound a bit like luxating patellas. Cooper, our little ruby, was diagnosed with bilateral luxating patellas about 2 months ago now. He would also be running around and then his back legs would go stiff and he'd start to limp. He would limp a few steps, kick his leg out straight to pop it back in and keep going. I understand that the grade of the problem determines the treatment. Dogs with low grade problems can often be managed with medication. Cooper's were so bad that he had to go for surgery straight away. We're in the process of recovery from the first knee and he will then need the second one done.. The condition isn't life threatening, but it can severaly imjpact on their mobility - they will often get arthritis down the track if not fixed. The hardest part about the op is the recovery period. You have to keep them confined in a crate or pen for about 4-8 weeks so as not to damage the op. It's hard at first but pretty soon Cooper and us got used to the situation. We know it will all be worth it down the track when he's able to run, jump and play like he's supposed to.

I'm just at the beginning of this journey, but there are a number of people here on the forums who are years down the track from the ops and have happy, healthy mobile dogs which has been a great comfort for me to hear about. They will tell you that having the surgery was the best decision for their dogs long term.

Good luck - I hope it's something more straight forward than patellas, but if it is patellas - the results of treatment are excellent - so I'm told.

Thanks for the reply, I know I just have to wait till Thursday to see what Im dealing with, I have read quite alot on the forum and it is encouraging, Im sending cooper lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery.

Back