View Full Version : Apple seeds
17th January 2007, 12:47 AM
I read that apple seeds are poisonous to dogs. Is this true? My daughter left an apple on the floor and our Charley found it. It seems he may have eaten 1 or maybe 2 of the seeds. Is this something that I should be alarmed about?
17th January 2007, 01:40 AM
I dont know from reading anything, just that my lab ate about 10 a day at my parents farm. They had 4 apple trees and it was impossible to keep all four totally picked up. She had many a night of a bad tummy ache and vomited if she over did it. But only a couple never bothered her - I wouldnt worry about one - just dont leave the apple basket out!
17th January 2007, 01:43 AM
I take that back, I looked it up and it does infact say the seeds are. How my dog lived 15 yrs is beyond me :yikes
17th January 2007, 01:53 AM
They are poisonous but I don't think a couple of seeds is anything to worry about. If you are ever concerned about something known to be poisonous or that you think might be, just call your vet. The vet techs will likely know and answer your question and let you know if you need to act urgently. It can be the difference between life and death, especially for something like chocolate eaten by a dog as small as a cavalier, so it is always worth making a call. You often have very little time in which you can do something if a dog does eat something dangerous. :thmbsup:
17th January 2007, 02:06 AM
Thank you both for the advice. Karlin, I think that I will take what you said to heart and call the vet. I don't want to take ANY chances.
17th January 2007, 02:18 AM
I called my vet, then the emergency number of the hospital that was left on their answering machine. The woman at the desk said that I should look out for Charley having stomach upset but that we needn't worry.
Of course she told me to caution my daughter about leaving apples around. Oddly enough we always keep the door to my daughter's room closed because we teasingly call it a "danger zone" because it usually is very messy. But my daughter walked into my room to go over some mid-term questions and it happened that quickly. You really have to be on your toes! Also, I've read all the lists of poisonous foods and for some reason my eyes must have glazed over the seeds.
Thanks for your help.
17th January 2007, 04:32 AM
Whew! Thank goodness someone posted this! I had no idea. We actually have an apple tree in our front yard. Guess I will have to keep those fallen apples picked up. Thankfully Wesley's always on a leash with me when we're outside though because we don't have a fenced yard.
17th January 2007, 01:39 PM
So are the entire apples bad for dogs or just the seeds? My boys love apples, but I have always cut the stem and seeds out... :oops:
I thought I read that people on this site put them in kongs??!!
17th January 2007, 04:01 PM
I hope it isn't just apples ..I have been taking the seeds out and giving my guys the middle pieces.
They love apples
18th January 2007, 01:49 PM
it's just the seeds, stem and the leaves of the tree that can cause a problem if ingested.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.