• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Enzymes, anyone?

M

Mic

So, what's the scoop on Enzymes?
  • What are they?
    Why do our dogs need them?
    Who here gives them?
    What brand do you use and why?
    Where do you get them?
    Have you noticed any differences/improvements/changes in your pet since giving enzymes?
    If so, what are they?
    What do you think about this comparison chart? http://www.petenzymes.com/htmls/compare.html
Okay, I guess that's enough questions...for now.:sl*p:
:flwr: Thanks! :flwr:

These are the enzymes I give Jake and Shelby (same company) I also give them the probiotic from this company. The owner was a speaker at one of our club meetings.

The enzymes help prevent
digestive disorders
immune disorders
slow healing
exessive shedding (not so sure about that one! :D )
Skin problems
joint difficulties
allergies
poor coat
lethargy
bloating
excess gas
stool eating
hairballs

Neither of mine have much in the way of tummy problems anymore. Their coats are shiny and soft. Neither was gas. But...Shelby will still eat her poop given the opportunity :shock:

I also give them the total-biotics to boost immune system, calm upset stomach and reduce digestive disorders.

I give them each on scoop with their dinner of each. The jar lasts one year per dog.

i have a friend who takes them and thinks they help with digestion, i think the idea is that the modern diet doesn't have enough enzymes, or the body doesn't make enough?

when i started feeding zack EVO, he got smelly gas. I went to the pet supply store, Centinela Feed and Pet Supply, and i asked whether it would help to switch to the red meat EVO, and right away, the guy said to use NaturVet enzymes which they sell, he said customers report good results with it. I sprinkled it on the EVO and the smelly gas stopped. I gave him the enzymes for months, until a vet recommended i mix the EVO with a regular kibble. When i started doing that, i stopped the enzymes because he doesn't have any smelly gas on that diet.

FYI, one day i opened my enzyme jar and there were little bugs in the enzymes. the guy at the pet store said not to worry about it but to keep them in the freezer to prevent that.

:?

Ditto on what Judy and Cathy said. I started feeding my dogs probiotics because I thought Sasha had stomach problems. Turned out she actually had mouth/throat lesions (causing her vomiting) but I still sprinkle some on both my girls food daily. Kinda like taking an ant-acid I think!!

Sheri

I have been giving "pet-dopholous" to my boys, and they seem to be doing really well. My shih tzu has been my main concern because of ear infections and allergies, but he looks great right now and hasn't been chewing himself to pieces.

On the comparison chart you gave, it looks like these products are alot better than what I use so I may have to switch. I was wondering why my product didn't have acidopholous, which controls yeast (his main problem). hmmmm...

I use Suprazyme-- prebiotics, probiotics and enzymes. The dogs seem to digest their food better when I use these. I don't use it all the time. I use it when the dogs aren't feeling well, or if they are under stress. Sandy

that suprazyme sounds...super.

as i understand it, enzymes are something the body makes, a substance that breaks down food in the process of digestion. under some conditions, a body doesn't make enough enzymes so supplemental enzymes can be taken to improve digestion. It's known that the body's production of enzymes declines with age, so giving supplements to an older animal could be helpful.

probiotics are little organisms that coexist in the digestive tract with other organisms, and under good conditions, the orgainisms are in balance and keep each other in check. Probiotics are bacteria, "good bacteria", good because they feed on yeast (among other things?), and they help prevent an overgrowth of yeast. If yeast isn't held in check, it causes symptoms in different parts of the body. If the supply of probiotics isn't enough, then yeast can multiply too much.

Probiotics can get depleted when someone takes antibiotics because antibiotics kill off bacteria, including the good bacteria. Then there is a risk of yeat overgrowth. Supplementing with probiotics may be helpful if antibiotics are taken. If there is diarrhea for any reason, the good bacteria can be washed out of the intestine and be depleted. So supplements of probiotics can be taken to build them back up.

i sometimes use some water with probiotic powder mixed in, to wash the area around zack's eyes if he ever has reddish stains because reddish stains might be a sign of yeast. It happens once in a while.

Back