• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What kind of vegetables or fruits can I feed Lia as a treat?

Laura&Lia

I wanted to know if any of you give vegetables or fruits as a treat to your dogs.
Which ones do you feed them?

Many thanks! :flwr:

I mix peas, green beans and/or carrots in with Chester's dry food every morning along with a spoonful of plain yogurt. He really loves those veggies but if you buy canned ones make sure they are the no-salt kind. He also likes broccoli but only if it's lightly steamed like we eat it for dinner. For some reason he doesn't like it raw, but I know alot of dogs do like it raw.

He also really loves oranges, bananas, apples, pineapple, mango, peaches and figs (dried and fresh).

Both of my guys get Veggies/Fruit everyday.

Veggies

Broccoli, Carrots, Green Beans, Califlower, Snow Peas, Green Peas

Fruits

Banana, Cantaloupe, Honey Dew Melon, Strawberries, Apples, Tangerines

Whatever else we have in the house, it is good for them and also helps to fill them up. :D :D :D :D :D

I also give Coco strawberries, blueberries, bananas, apples, pears and other fruit. She loves them.
She also gets baby carrots, broccoli, and other vegetables.

Just make sure you don't give Lia grapes, raisins, or onions since they are toxic to dogs.

:flwr:

Linda I like your new avatar! I didn't realise it was you for a moment! :lol:

My guys like broccoli stems, bell (sweet) peppers, carrots, peas, green beans, frozen mixed veg, just about any kind of fruit. I give them both cooked and raw veg. If I am chopping vegetables while making a meal I give them some to snack on.

Is there any type of fruit or vegetable that dogs absolutely should NOT have? I know grapes and raisins are a no-no. Anything else???

my two eat carrots, peas, pumpkin, potato, banana's, small pieces of appple and peach, broccoli...well they usually get any type of fruit and vegetables except the ones that are dangerous.

i looked up vegies and fruits toxic to dogs and got this:

Known Food Toxins To Dogs
Fruits, Vegetables, Food

Apple, Almond, Apricot, Peach, Wild Cherries, Plum, Balsam Pear, Prunes and similar fruit: Diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, (Stem, Seeds and Leaves) The seeds of most fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans.

Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart

Broccoli: reported to be pretty potent gastrointestinal irritant

Cherry: rapid breathing, shock, mouth inflammation, heart rate increase

Chocolate: seizures, coma, hyperactivity, rapid heart beat, tremors, death. Bakers chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated but is still very dangerous.
• 1 oz per lb of body weight for (2 oz per kg) of body weight for bakers chocolate
• 1 oz per 3 lbs of body weight (1 oz per 1.5 kg body weight) for semi-sweet chocolate
• 1 oz per 9lbs of body weight (1 oz per 4 kg) for bakers chocolate
• Please keep in mind that these are only guidelines, and if you suspect your pet had ingested chocolate, please keep an eye out for ANY signs of poisoning! Every dog reacts differently to quantity.
Coffee/Tea: Drinks/Foods: containing caffeine or sugar may cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes

Cooked Bones: uncooked bones should be safe but if they are cooked you should refrain because they deteriorate and easily splinter. Can cause extensive damage to internal organs and passage ways, may times resulting in death.

Mushrooms: acute gastric effects, liver and kidney damage, abdominal pain, nausea, salivation, vomiting

Nutmeg: tremors, seizures and death

Tobacco: nausea, salivation, vomiting, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat)

Onion: (cats are more sensitive), gastrointestinal upset, hemolytic anemia, heinz body anemia, hemogloinria, destroys red blood cells

Grapes, Raisins, Prunes: kidney failure, as little as a single serving of grapes or raisins can kill a dog. It takes anywhere from 9 oz to 2 lbs of grapes and raisins (between .041 and 1.1 oz/kg of body weight), to cause severe vomiting and diarrhea, and possible kidney failure

Salt: excessive intake can cause kidney problems

Raw Eggs- many people feed raw eggs to their dogs but keep in mind that they can contain salmonella. Dogs do have a higher immunity against salmonella poisoning but are not immune and have been reported to get it from uncooked eggs.

not sure if thats entirely right...its just what i found

that says apples? i have gave freddie apples and he loves them so i take it i stop giving him apples then?

Another question:

I only feed Lia kibble in her big meals. Is that so boring for her?
My vet says that is the best for her, but I think is a little boring for her... I give her different treats or biscuits but in her meals, should I try to vary the menu?

Thank you for all the :flwr: answers

About the fruits and vegetables - my girls are still babies, about 5 months old. Is it OK to give them these foods, or should I wait until they are older? Should I worry about them choking on any of it, or do I chop all of it up into a kind of paste? How often should I treat them with it, or do I add it to their dry kibble?

King loves just about any and every fruit/veggie..
bananas, apples, cranberries, strawberries, blueberries, oranges, clementines, and more to name..
for veggies he likes carrots, broccoli (raw or steamed), peas, green beans, sweet peppers (all 3 colors), corn, lettuces, so many to name!!!

Feed all vegies and fruits except the ones your not allowed! :lol:

About the fruits and vegetables - my girls are still babies, about 5 months old. Is it OK to give them these foods, or should I wait until they are older? Should I worry about them choking on any of it, or do I chop all of it up into a kind of paste? How often should I treat them with it, or do I add it to their dry kibble?

Well I'm no expert but from many breeders I've heard it's fine. Ollie is only 3 months old and I've been feeding him lots of veggies and fruits. He loves the fruit but at the moment I'm havig to disguise his vegetables in the kibble! :roll: ;) I put them in the blender (raw or steamed) but it didn't really turn out like a 'paste' as I had hoped, more like tiny chopped up pieces. I also added a little bit of yogurt to the mix. I froze this is an ice cube tray and with his dinner he'll get one thawed out cube :)

I'm confused. If the seeds (or pit) of a fruit are considered harmful to dogs, then should dogs not be fed that fruit at all? Does the toxin in the seeds affect the rest of the fruit? If so, this would mean dogs should never have apples, peaches, plums, etc. Just wondering.....

Nicki said:
no it's just the stem, seeds and leaves of apples that are toxic...
I posted in the apple seed post that my lab often got at my parents 4 apple tree fallen apples. that a few didnt bother her but if we goofed and she really got into it, she would vomit a few times. I never knew about the seeds. But she was an 80lb dog - this is what scares me with the smaller breed - my ignorance could be so much more damaging. A 15 lb dog would not have faired as well. Which is why I love this site - i'm slowly getting not as ignorant!

cavalicious said:
I froze this is an ice cube tray and with his dinner he'll get one thawed out cube :)
Oh I like your veggie blender with yogurt and then ice cube tray plan! It sound great and I am going to follow your lead. Thanks

KingstonsMom said:
I'm confused. If the seeds (or pit) of a fruit are considered harmful to dogs, then should dogs not be fed that fruit at all? Does the toxin in the seeds affect the rest of the fruit? If so, this would mean dogs should never have apples, peaches, plums, etc. Just wondering.....

No they can eat i.e. apples (minus seeds, stem). If you look at many of the good dog foods apples are quite often used. Now individual dogs may not digest certain foods well so test out any new food slowly.

Back