• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Honeymoon period?

Dottie

My little girl Dottie is only 10 weeks old and has only been with us for 4 days now. It's been a long time since we've had a tiny pup, but I can't remember one being so GOOD! She never cries for attention or anything. We are keeping her in a gated area in our kitchen with a couple of bath mats and a comfy little doggie bed and toys. When we leave the room or go to bed at night, she never makes a peep! :shock:
I was prepared for the screaming, crying, and upset pup that I know we have experienced in the past. Can I expect for her to stay this way, or is she just still on her best behavior? Are we still in the honeymoon period? ;)

*note* Not that it matters either way, but so far I feel very fortunate! Should I run and knock on some wood somewhere FAST? LOL!

You are very lucky, but I was lucky with my little Chester too! He was an awesome pup and never cried or made a fuss at night. He slept in a crate right next to my bed and when he had to go out for his 3am potty break all he did was scratch the crate door with his wee little paw...never a yelp or cry of any kind.

I guess it's like human babies...some are very settled from day 1 and some are a bit more trouble. But they're all worth it and luckly the puppy phase is over quickly!

Unforunately, I think it is a pup to pup basis. Spencer was a crier. Izzy and Tilly were/are not. Tilly is 12 weeks old and doesn't ever make a peep in her pin until morning around 8 if I don't get up earlier. :flwr:

Yes, I think it depends on the dog. Sofee Marie was great at 10 weeks and right until 4.5 months. The past 3 weeks she is becoming more manipulative AND has much more energy, sleeping less. She seems to want to be with us every minute and is constantly pushing the envelope with whining and sometime howling when she doesn't get her way (attention from us). :cry*ing:
We have had to implement a more stringent free time and crating schedule, especially with her at night, as she gets really wound up late and just doesn't know when to stop.
She doesn't like it, but it will be better for her and us in the long run. Early bedtime to the crate and no getting up with Momma at 4:00am, she stays in the crate until at least 5:30am. It's hard because she is our 'baby' but boundaries are good!
It was easy when she was younger, she did what we wanted her to, but now she is getting a mind of her own!
She does settle down pretty quickly when she is in a 'state', but I really think it will get better as we keep a more disciplined schedule.
With the past few weeks, I am hoping the puppy phase is over quickly, but it didn't enter my mind prior to that!
Have fun and enjoy her, they are really a wonderful blessing!
:flwr:

Momay - Yes, I am prepared for this period to wear off! ;) I know that like kids, especially toddlers, they learn to push it to the limit and test you!!! I have a 2 year old grandbaby girl who is in that stage right now! :shock: I just expected that since she is so very young and hasn't been away from her mom-dog very long, that she would be so lonesome at night that she would cry. I even expected to have to let her sleep with us some, but that hasn't happened! I know I will probably be eating my words in a few weeks! :D

Back