• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What age for a new addition to the family?

pamela

Hi All,

I was just wondering what would be the ideal age to add another pup to our family? Coco is 7 months old now and I would love her to have a little friend!! She has great fun with the puppy next door and is always sad when roxy goes home!

Also, would you think a boy or a girl would be best? I would love either equally but I Just want what would be best for Coco!

I think the general consensus of the board is to wait until your Coco is a year to 18 months old.....but of course, it is your decision.

Duncan was 16 months when Arthur (at 4 months) came to us...it was nice becasue Duncan was very relaible at this point and only slightly regressed with the new pup

thanks Ashley,

i did think at least a year old would be suitable...only 5 months to go!! I'll just have to enjoy her all to myself for now!!

Hello

Lucas was 15 months when Kasper joined us..its quite a nice age as he was trained and it made everybodys life a little easier..

Mind you now its as if they were never apart, i just love watching them together and i am soo pleased we have both of them

Take Care
effie
xx

sorry for this *useless* contribution but effie i just wanted to say i love your avatar---your little cav is so cute and i love the clear doggy bed!

Dudley was 2 1/2 when Darby joined our family.
So he was totally reliable, we would of most likely brought Darby home when Dudley was about 18 months but I was on a waiting list for a Ruby.

In the beginning I had my doubts about them accepting each other, but they are best chums now.
It took Dudley a good 6 weeks for what I would call accepting Darby.

Cherrise was 8 months when Hope came along .. but i chose to look for an older pup.. Hope was 7 months already and was already house trained by her breeder too..

in my opinion adding an older pup is sooo much easier.. (but very depending on the pup itself i guess.. :roll: ) and lots of breeder lets go older pups that they kept in the 1st place because they thought that the pups had show potential but end up having underbites etc etc.. nothing wrong with them otherwise! :D

gd luck!

Oh we are already talking about our next one, too. We were hoping to add the next baby this summer because I'll be home all day and could really watch both of them together. Ellie will only be 8 months at that point, though. We'll just have to see how long we can wait.... icon_whistling

We also would be very open to a rescue or adult dog at that point, so maybe that would make a difference.

Back