• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Best place to find a cav in Perth WA

kiwiandpinay

We're about to move from NZ to Perth WA. Unfortunately due to his age and some concerns as to how he'd handle a long flight and major climate change, I made the choice to find Rory a new home and did rather well at it too... He chose it.

To give a little background, I was never a "Cav" person. About 6 years ago I purchased a boat and decided to live on it. Then found that some company was duely needed. Having grown up with Terriers I decided that one of those was for me but a dog of around 2 to 3 years of age would be best, thus avoiding the puppy "I'm going to eat everything" stage (not good on a boat, might chew something vital). So I proceeded to phone all of the local vets and animal shelters to see if a suitable dog needed a home. Eventually one phoned back and said we have a Cav (a certain then ignorant person asked "how big is he?"). So off I went for a look... I went back to my boat with a very large Blenheim (16kg) and a quite lazy dog to boot.

Yet we shared many adventures together and he went everywhere with me. Some of the funniest are..

The "Rum incident"

The "Crayfish incident"

The "Resort incident" (involves kids wanting to take him for a walk, parents buying me a drink as a "thankyou" how dog and I got back to the boat let alone on it to this day remains a mystery)

The customer at work who says "I can't pay my bill but I'll give you $300 for your dog" (the bill was $250.. Guess who wasn't allowed back in the workshop again)

The best was while watching a big fireworks display on the deck of a friends boat, me and Rory sitting there watching it and Police boat saw us... Cop:"You can't do that" Me:"Yes I can" Cop "but the noise scares them" Me "Not him" Cop "Why not?" Me"Coz he's deaf!!".. Rory may have been deaf but he certainly could hear when I got the food box out.

Which brings me to the point of this post..

Where can I find another like him?I know that isn't really possible yet another cav is needed

Any help would be good

cheers

Simon

I am in the USA, not Australia, and so can not help you, but do wish you luck. I know it must have been a hard decision to leave him behind. Do not try to "replace" him but to find yourself a new companion who will be him or herself.

I moved this out of the photo gallery where I think you posted it by mistake!

You have two options: a rescue dog or working with a breeder. For rescues, contact the regional breed clubs or Lucky Star in the US (rescue contacts are all stickied at the top of the breed rescue forum here). :)

For working with a breeder, who often may have older dogs to place as well as puppies:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2757

This requires a LOT of research as there are many unscrupulous breeders. US dogs should be either AKC or CKCSC registered as a bare minimum (don't even consider anyone registering anywhere else), then put in your legwork to find someone who breeds for health and conformation and temperament -- not to fill a slightly cheaper market with dogs that will likely cost far more in health issues and further spread the existing health issues in the breed.

If anyone here (we have some Washington members) wish to make recommendations please PM Simon directly as I don't allow public discussion of specific breeders, for legal reasons. (y)

I am assuming Perth, WA in the US? I know there is a Perth ~ I am actually from around there.

Where is perth?! :flwr:

Do you want a puppy now or again an older dog ?

Best place to start for a responsible breeder for a puppy is the canine association of wa: www.cawa.asn.au
They list registered breeders but be warned just because they are registered does not really mean they are doing everything they can with regards to the health testing required and breeding for all the right reasons. I fell for this when I got my boys and thought that if they are registered they must be good but have learned the hard way this is not the case.
I know of three on the list that I would consider to be good but you may have to wait a long time for a puppy. A lot of the testing that is spoken about on this forum does not happen here yet, really the best you can probably hope for is heart testing and question the breeder on the parents history of the other health issues like patella, eyes and hips. They really should be able to provide sensible answers for these questions and if they can't I'd ask why.

If you are looking for a mature dog you may be able to seek help from these breeders also as they sometimes rehome their older dogs that they no longer breed from although this is rare (I think). Although there is no specific cavalier rescue place here I was told by one of these breeders that there is kind of an unwritten rule amongst them that any cavalier that needs rescue can be sent to them ??

Other than that you'd have to try all the usual rescue places but I doubt your chances of finding a cavalier, you may find a mix though ????

Other alternative if you have the time is to attend some cavalier shows here and meet the people in the business who may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck with search, if you need any more info or want me to pm you with my opinion on the better breeders on the list let me know. I am no expert but have done a bit of research recently as my mum has just got a cavalier puppy.

I live in Perth, I'll warn you now the waiting lists are long! We've been trying for 8months now, you can get pups from the paper but if you want a good breeder there is a wait :(
Go to canine council website http://www.cawa.asn.au/ , there are breeders listed, just make sure you check they test their adults for heart murmers and such!

I am assuming Perth, WA in the US? I know there is a Perth ~ I am actually from around there.

Where is perth?!

lol...WA stands for Western Australia and perth is a state in australia.

Rory sounded like a brilliant dog and companion, sorry you had 2 give him up...but i suppose it was for the best! :p sorry dont know any good breeders or anythign in WA but everyone else seems to be giving good advice..im sure you'll find something!......Good luck! and keep us updated!

Thanks guys

I know I'll never replace him. Rory was a rescue dog and a total mess when he came here. He chose his new home and went by his own choice and as you can imagine I'm deeply gutted, yet this was the best choice for him (so says my wife and family, I beleive it to be a total lie as he went everywhere with me and was happy so long as we were together)

Arrgh I'm sorry. I had to give my best mate up and am grieving big time

Back