PDA

View Full Version : Patella Issues

cavimom
19th January 2007, 04:49 PM
Lily has gone into the vet this morning for surgery on her luxating patella problem. I was hoping that when the vet initially mentioned it to me when she was a small pup it wouldn't get worse. Well, it has. I had made her appt. for her spaying and when we went in for a checkup beforehand he said it was pretty bad and needed done. So, poor little baby is going under the knife for that today. For those who hav ehad to go through it, how long is recovery? My vet said it just takes a few days for them to be up and moving. That seems so quick! Do I need to limit her movement? Will she want to be up?

Cathy T
19th January 2007, 07:15 PM
I'm surprised you weren't given more detailed instructions. Here's a link to a previous discussion on recovery. Let us know if you have further questions

http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6441&highlight=luxating+patellas

cavimom
19th January 2007, 07:23 PM
Well, I dropped her off this morning before the vet arrived and was told that I would have a lengthy discussion with him when I came back to get her. But, just in case, I wanted to ask some more people....whom I trust for that kind of info. Everyone on this site is GREAT!!!! Thanks for the discussion link.

cavimom
20th January 2007, 10:21 PM
Wow, 6 weeks of this is going to be hard work. I liked it when we first got home and she was so drugged she couldn't stay awake and try to walk anywhere! Now, she has this bandage/cast like thing from hip to toe and she is still trying to hop around likea three legged dog! I am SO afraid she s going to hurt herself. I can't get her to sit and stay with me and she cries when in her crate. I can't trust her in the pen as she will try to stand on the back leg I am sure. I hope I don't get tired of this and get lax. I don't think I will as it is in her best interest to stay strong, but 6 wks. is a long time for this! Wish me luck~!

cavimom
20th January 2007, 10:25 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/363792808_2af14a08b4.jpg

Kodee
20th January 2007, 10:33 PM
Oh my she looks so adorable but my heart goes out to her! I feel for you too, 6 wks is a long time to ensure she stay off her feet.

I think you should go search movies you have always wanted to see but didnt have time for and rent a whole bunch. It will help the time pass and give you the opportunity to cuddle her safely in your lap. Or if your not a movie sort of person perhaps some really good books. Good luck

cavimom
20th January 2007, 10:37 PM
A lot of really good movies sounds great! BUT, I happen to have a lot of really good, well, boring books to read for school. I am going to school for mu Master's degree, so sitting and reading is something I am doing plenty of! :?
She still wants to roam though. I just hate to put her in her crate. Alas, we must find a way to make it work. And we will!

Kodee
20th January 2007, 10:50 PM
A lot of really good movies sounds great! BUT, I happen to have a lot of really good, well, boring books to read for school. I am going to school for mu Master's degree, so sitting and reading is something I am doing plenty of! :?
She still wants to roam though. I just hate to put her in her crate. Alas, we must find a way to make it work. And we will!

Oh but wait! That is why my daughter got her rabbit! She said it was the most focused time she was in university when he was just a baby. She loved him sitting snuggled in her lap and did all her readings on time for the first time. That rabbit is also to blame for us going from a lab to a cavalier - the connection with loving a lap pet!

No excuses now, off you go to read - then you can treat yourself with a movie for a break!

Ummm oh I just realized, that pillow pattern your puppy is lying on, is/was my youngest daughters duvet set! The walls were a green shade. She loved the duvet hated the walls. But then she went and grew up on me and demaned bright neon orange walls :yikes

cavimom
20th January 2007, 10:52 PM
There you go!!!! Treats, just like we give our puppies!!! I am all for that. Read a page, movie, read a page, movie. :) Just kidding. I better finish my assignments, then watch a movie!!!!

Cathy Moon
21st January 2007, 04:06 PM
Wow, 6 weeks of this is going to be hard work. I liked it when we first got home and she was so drugged she couldn't stay awake and try to walk anywhere! Now, she has this bandage/cast like thing from hip to toe and she is still trying to hop around likea three legged dog! I am SO afraid she s going to hurt herself. I can't get her to sit and stay with me and she cries when in her crate. I can't trust her in the pen as she will try to stand on the back leg I am sure. I hope I don't get tired of this and get lax. I don't think I will as it is in her best interest to stay strong, but 6 wks. is a long time for this! Wish me luck~!
When India was in the x-pen after her knee op, she would sometimes stand on her hind legs and rattle the pen while whining to get out; that's what I call having a tantrum. I made myself turn my back on her when she did that, and only give her attention when she behaved. So eventually she quit having the tantrums. I was so scared she would harm her knee, but she healed up perfectly.

Also, prepare yourself for longer than 6 weeks confinement. Even after the 6 week check up, she will need restricted activities (like no jumping on furniture, no stairs, no running) while building up her leg muscles with regulated exercise such as walking. But luckily by the time you reach the 6 week check up this confinement will seem more 'normal' to both of you.

cavimom
21st January 2007, 10:26 PM
She is not crying as much as she is in her pen. That has een nice. I took what you said and put her pen next to me in the living room for while
I am studying. She seems to like that better. And she does like it a lot more than being in her crate.
It started raining here today and that makes going to the bathroom harder. Now I am having to rig up a bread bag around her leg when we got out. When she has to go, this is not the time to be doing it!!!
Any other great ideas would be welcomed. :)

Zippy
21st January 2007, 11:39 PM
Check with your vet but that looks like a water-proof cast.....at least the green parts.

If it's water-proof, all you have to do is blow it dry with a hair dryer. ;D

cooper&fergus
21st January 2007, 11:56 PM
Hi.

Cooper is 3 1/2 weeks from his patella revision op - The first one didn't take and needed redoing at about 3 weeks. I know how hard it is for you - especially when they whine and cry in their pen. Make sure she has toys to play with and treats that keep them busy for a long time - We found rawhide bones kept him occupied and happy in his pen for hours. When you can put her on your lap for a cuddle but I would keep her leash on in case she tries to jump off if she gets excited. We've found that if Cooper is on the couch with us he will lie down and be a good boy for ages.

You're lucky in a way that you have a cast and bandage - Cooper just had stitches that were uncovered and no cast. Made me even more paranoid.

I know it is hard at first but if you follow the instructions, both you and your pup will get used to the situation and pretty soon it seems like normal life even though it is pretty hard work. Keep the pen / crate close to you at all times if possible so that even when confined she feels like she is part of what is going on. Our pen lives in the lounge room during the day and is moved into the bedroom at night so Cooper feels close to us. Fergus sleeps on his bed next to Coopers pen.

Good luck - the first week or 2 is the hardest but it will get easier.

Cooper has his next check up tomorrow and should be able to start some leash walking - so excited!

Cathy Moon
22nd January 2007, 12:24 AM
If you can tape a plastic bag over her cast, then put a raincoat on her, it might keep her dry. An maybe follow her around with an umbrella?

India didn't have a cast or bandage, so I've never had to try to keep one dry... sorry I'm not much help!

cavimom
22nd January 2007, 01:16 AM
I don't think it is a cast or waterproof. Reason I say this is because I am allowed to cut it off on day 5. Yeah! They told me no need to come in, just cut it off layer by layer. She has staples, no stitiches, under all of that. I think it said 2 weeks to come back and get them removed. So, pretty soon we will be wide open to the elements. That makes me so nervous. Right now when she walks, she puts pressure, but very little, onto the leg. She is more three legging it. But, after it comes off, she will inevitably try to walk. Is this okay?
If they are in a crate, they can stand up, turn around, and move. So, weight is going on it. If in an x-pen, then the same thing. Butmore freedom. I don't see how to restrain that.
When i take her out for a potty I keep her on the leash and just follow her around. But, she isn't eating and drinking much, so potty breaks aren't too often. She is doing GREAT right now in her x-pen. In there she cries far less. She has a pillow that is huge to lay on, a large rawhide, and her food and water.
I am going to make a run to the store tomorrow and get her some more large bones. THat should help her out. She has never been a big one for toys. She has a toy box full and plays with them just a bit. Not much though.

Good luck with the appointment. I sure hope that the surgery takes this time!!! Keep me informed.

ppotterfield
22nd January 2007, 01:31 AM
I have never had to keep a dog quiet for that long but do not envy you. I suggest getting your butcher to cut you small marrow bone rings, about an inch and a half to two inches thick and giving those raw (I give mine right out of the freezer) as treats. They really keep them busy and happy for long periods of time and, at least at my butcher, are very inexpensive. After the first "chewing" you can boil them, to essentially sterilize, and then give them again. Since she will be inactive you may also need to cutback on food somewhat. Hadley and Buddy love green beans and carrots which you can substitute for part of her kibble. Best of luck and keep us posted.

cooper&fergus
22nd January 2007, 02:07 AM
As she starts to feel better and less sore she will want to walk more and more. You need to restrict this as much as possible - according to our vet. When outside for toliet breaks always keep her on her leash. You'll get to know very quickly how often she needs to go. Cooper only needs max of 4 toilet breaks a day. Anymore than that and he just walks around, sniffs all the good smells, lays on the grass and does nothing! Just trys to make the most of being outside. Sometimes he'll hold on even more. I give him about 10-15 mins at a time and if he does nothing I bring him back in. I don't want him walking anymore than he has to. We were told to carry him outside for each toilet break but every vet will have different instructions. By about 2-3 weeks she'll have pretty reasonable weight bearing.

In the pen he walks a little bit. Generally he just sits or lies down on his bed either sleeping or chewing a toy or a treat. He's been much better the second time around. I think its unavoidable but you just need to confine them as much as possible and to absolutely make sure they don't try to run or jump.

cavimom
22nd January 2007, 03:24 AM
When I take her out to potty I can tell she is enjoying the fresh air, so I let her linger a bit. Since she doesn't put much weight on it yet I walk her around just a bit. Then I do carry her in and out of the house. The vet didn't say anything about that one, but I did see it here on the forum, so I do it. I try to keep her lying next to me on the couch as much as possible. Problem is that I have 3 cats. :) 2 of them she could care less about, but the third is her best bud. The cat on the other hand detests her. :) Anytime he passes through the room, Lily gets a bit too excited.
Tomorrow when I go back to work and the kid is in school, I hope she stays lying down as much as possible. And I hope she doesn't get to be in too much pain. How long did you give Cooper pain meds? My vet said as needed. The antibiotic I will give her till gone though. I'm not sure how to tell if she is hurting or if she is just crying because she is in the pen. :?

Cathy Moon
22nd January 2007, 03:33 AM
I noticed that India was putting weight on her leg from the first evening we brought her home (the day of surgery); I could see her footprint in the snow. We were worried and called the vet at home - he said that was fine. Whew! She never had anything covering her incision, which was stapled too. I felt a little freaked out when I first saw it, but it didn't seem to bother her much - we just gave her the pain pills on the dot every time! And sprayed Bactine on it whenever we saw her start to lick it (per the vet's instructions.)

cavimom
22nd January 2007, 03:40 AM
Okay, that was another thing I was wondering about. If she licks it once the bandage is off, what could I put on it. She is trying to, sometimes, lick the bandage. I can get her to stop that, but the wound, that might be different. Bactine, I will go pick some up. Thanks!

Cathy T
22nd January 2007, 06:03 AM
I think it's interesting that there really is a big discrepancy on what is involved in recovery from one vet to another.

Shelby was putting weight on her leg within a few days of her surgery. I was told that was okay. I was told to carry her to her potty spot the first couple of days and then walk her there on her leash.

We had a solid 8 weeks of recovery. Shelby was kept in an x-pen in the family room and did really well in it. She never climbed up on her back legs or tried to get out. Every once in a while Jake would go in...just to get a feel for it and see if he was missing anything...then realize he wasn't and want right back out :roll:

It does get easier. We had 8 weeks for the first surgery, and then it didn't hold and we had to do it again for another 8 weeks. You really get into a routine...but that first day of freedom is definitely absolute heaven.

I wish I could remember exactly when we started her on short walks. I'm thinking it was at about 4 weeks .... but don't hold me to that. We were at one point encouraged to take short 5-10 minutes several times a day.

One thing we did for the first several days was ice packs several times a day.

I also didn't have any problem with her bothering her stitches.

cooper&fergus
22nd January 2007, 06:58 AM
Cooper was given pain meds for about 10 days. And he came home with a fentanyl patch on as well which had to be taken off in 3 days. We just gave the course the vet told us. He was also on antibiotics for a week. He had excellent pain relief. He was obviously uncomfortable the first night but was never in any pain that I was worried about. They didn't put a buster collar on him straight away but said if he started licking that he would need one. I was amazed how quickly the wound healed up.

By about 3 days he seemed quite comfortable on his leg - still limping but happy to wander around the backyard and sniff all the good smells. :D

We were fortunate to have my parents to look after Cooper during the day and now hubbys parents. They set up a pen at their place for him and also look after Fergus. I think he's been left alone for about a max of 2 hours. Do you have anyone who can watch her or check up on her regularly while you're at work?

Cathy Moon
22nd January 2007, 12:29 PM
Cathy, you brought up a good point about the differing recovery periods - we actually had India confined to an xpen for 8 weeks, only going out on a lead for potty.

Then after the 8 weeks, we were allowed to start walking her for specific lengths of time on a lead. The walking continued for 3-4 weeks or so, increasing daily. And during those 4 weeks we still kept her in the pen so she wouldn't go on stairs or jump on/off furniture.

cavimom
22nd January 2007, 03:21 PM
I guess I can watch her closely for signs of her overdoing it. I did catch her jumping up to the couch yesterday. I was sitting with her next to me on the floor. She stood and stretched. Next thing I knew she was climbing onto the couch, 3 legged. It was funny, but scared me! Right now having that bandage on is keeping her leg straight and putting weight onto it seems to be kind of difficult for her, so I feel lucky to have that. But, when it comes off I know I have to watch her more closely.

My vet just kind of blows the recovery off a bit. Not that he doesn't find it serious, but didn't really give a lot of advice. I guess that comes from doing so many of these that it is second nature to him. I was told he was excellent at these surgeries. The other vet in the office actually refused to do it since the other was free. He said he ws so much better and should be the one to do it. :)

Aside from the rain we are having and needing to bag her each time she goes out, she seems to be doing great. When we get the bandage off it will get nicer for taking her outside. No need to bag her up then!!!!

I am looking forward to the 6 weeks being past!

cavimom
2nd February 2007, 03:34 PM
We go this afternoon to get Lily's staples removed. Ugh, I don't think I want to see that. She is doing GREAT! I am so proud of her. I am letting her out of her pen more and more because I am seeing that she does not use her leg much. Except when she breaks into a run outside to chase a cat! But truly, she is doing very well. Even her housebreaking is getting better. We are on the road to recovery for sure!!!!

Becs
2nd February 2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Nicole

Hope all went well with Lily at the vets. When Odie was 4 mths he broke his little toe (a bigger dog stood on his leg!) and was in a splint for over 6 weeks. He didn't have any trouble making his way around the garden. It's amazing how they adapt so well. It was so hard trying to make him stay still and it was during the Summer so he just wanted to be outside all the time running around.

He has now made a full recovery. I've attached a picture of Odie when I brought him back from the vet, he looked so sorry for himself. Incidently, after taking this picture I noticed that the vet had put the splint on the wrong leg !! She was so embarrassed when I brought him back up !

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t239/Becs13_photo/DSCF0106-1-1.jpg

cavimom
2nd February 2007, 08:47 PM
How sad he looks! :( I would have been mortified if I was that vet! How funny! :lol: