• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Her breath smell really bad...

Laura&Lia

Since Lia is teething i've noticed that her breath smells really bad...is that normal during the teething stage? :grnyuk:

:flwr:

it is but you should also brush her teeth gently to get bacteria gone! :flwr: It helps with awful breath! ;)

If it were a perfect world, we would all brush our furbabies' teeth every other day, but a couple times a week would be great. I try to do Chester's every other day and so far I've stuck to the schedule pretty good.

I use a child-sized very soft toothbrush and chicken-flavored dog toothpaste. He doesn't like the brushing very much he does tolerates it in order to get his treat at the end! Another option is to wrap a piece of gauze or even a piece of an old t-shirt or face cloth around your finger and rub/brush the teeth that way. It may take time to get her used to it, but keep trying a little bit each day and she'll get used to it after a week or so.

Good luck!

maybe it's something in her food? Did you change it lately? Or can she go in the backyard to play alone? Sam sometimes does and eats crap from the neighbours cats :yuk: then his breath smeel awful too

zack's breath got bad during teething, only i didn't know what was what it was at the time. I learned that later on cavaliertalk. it was quite unpleasant.

other than that time, he has had no real odor to his breath, either before or after the teething era, so it must've been from the teething.

the only other time he's had bad breath was once when i have reason to believe (though no proof) that he ate his poop, and one other time when he got into the catbox (that was unmistakeable. since then, i keep the babygate to the catbox area closed diligently--that odor lasted for two days and was the worst.)

Thanks Judy and all the answers.

I only wantd to be sure that this breath is going to disappear when the teething stage is over.

Just a little warning! when Pippin was teething we noticed his breath smelling really bad even though I was brushing his teeth it was getting worse . After 2 weeks it was so bad I was going to make an appoiontment for the vet although I checked and no teeth were bad.
Decided to do another check just before I rang the vet. So held him upside down mouth open wide and a light shining on his back teeth! He had torn up a stuffed toy he'd got hold of a couple of weeks before and a piece of it was caught in between his two back teeth. After much struggling and gentle teasing I got it out with a tweesers ,the smell from it was disgusting it would have knocked out a horse. I bathed his mouth with a weak solution of salt water for a day or two and he was fine,but I felt so guilty for not noticing it for 2 weeks!

Back