• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello and glad to be here! I've got a sick doggy (MVD)

Terri Voltz

My little Rudy is a ruby (of course!) 6 1/2 year old monster of a fella. Only too late did I realize that buying a dog from European breeders could cause such heartache. He is a GEM of a companion dog...loves everyone-neighbors, grandkids, mail lady... We wondered about his pedigree when he grew to 35 lbs....but in all respects we were still happy with him, in spite of his large size, because he's such a lover. We were also ignorant of the problems of early onset of MVD, as was our vet, who diagnosed him with everything under the sun (allergies, bronchial infection, kennel cough) until 2 months ago when he finally took ex-rays and found his heart enlarged to 3 times it's normal size, and the coughing and belly bloating was so prominent. I'm going to now move my posts to the MVD category, because I need ADVISE. (about suffering, expected lifespan etc) Thanks guys! Terri

Welcome to the forum, you'll find lots of information here.

Sorry to hear that Rudy is not well, maybe with some medication he can regain some quality of life and have more time with you and your family.

We lost our beloved Charley to MVD last summer but he'd had it for many years, was on meds. and did fairly well til towards the end.

MVD is throughout the breed, not just the European cavvies.

We'd had our Charley since puppyhood and he was born in Ontario, Canada.

Neither of his parents had MVD til after they stopped breeding them, so it wasn't known to be in his bloodline either. :flwr: :flwr:

Hello and welcome Terri and Rudy. Though I have no experience or information to offer, I know you will find others here that do. They are a particularly warm and giving group of people. Karlin has extensive libraries for your reference. I wish you the best of luck with Rudy. I look forward to seeing his picture.

Terri - so sorry you are having to deal with this at this time. Hope you find lots of advice, comfort and guidance from the people on this site.

Welcome Terri and Rudy. Rudy is such a beautiful boy. So sorry he has MVD. Hope you will find lots of info here to keep him comfortable.

Back