PDA

View Full Version : Multiple pees in one walk?

Lani
21st January 2007, 03:31 PM
HI everyone. I just moved to a new apartment and lately, for the last 3 days or so, I've noticed that when Lucky and I go on a walk he pee's multiple times. Usually 3-4 and sometimes hardly does anything.

A little background - Lucky is 7 months old, but neutered very young, so I was assuming this was not normal marking behaviour, but I don't know for sure if neutering stops that or not? He still squats when he goes, but yesterday lifted his leg just a little on a tree.

Is this marking behavior or something to be concerned about?

He doesn't have accidents overnight or while he's sleeping, but he wants to go out a lot, but I work from home so am here a lot to take him out and he rings the bell to let me know.

Any advice is appreciated. I just wondered if I should be concerned or if a vet visit is in order. :thnx:

Cathy Moon
21st January 2007, 03:41 PM
I have only had one male dog in my life, Geordie, and he was neutered at 5-6 months. He only squats to urinate, and only does one long pee at the beginning of a walk. So that is normal for him (he is now 3.5 yrs)

That doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with Lucky. It's good to hear several others' experience.

If he had a bladder infection, I think he'd be having accidents inside the house.

merlinsmum
21st January 2007, 03:45 PM
Lani,

Lucky sounds fine to me, my boys will have several wees while we are out. The first one is a proper wee and the rest tend to me just marking ones where not so much comes out.

If he's not having accidents or behaving differently I wouldn't worry but ring the vets if you want to put your mind at rest from someone professional :thmbsup:

judy
21st January 2007, 06:28 PM
sounds like normal male behavior of a dog on a walk leaving its autograph for other dogs. i've never counted the times with zack but it's several.

Karlin
21st January 2007, 06:37 PM
At seven months he's hitting puberty anyway (they do go thru all this even if neutered early -- he will still be a boy... :).

There's a point where they go from one big wee, squatting, to lots of wees. Leo always lifts his leg, Jaspar tends to do one long wee first in a squat or maybe a leglift, then both lift their leg many, many times even when the wee is all gone. :lol: I'd guess about a dozen or more times during a 20 minute walk. They have a lot of annointing to do as we have lots of dogs in the area that have left 'pee-mail'.

Zippy
21st January 2007, 08:21 PM
Yep, our Charley spent his life leaving "calling cards"! :lol: :lol:

Just a sign to other doggies that he was "King" of the 'hood! ;D

Lani
22nd January 2007, 01:06 AM
Thanks everyone!! This behavior is totally new for him, but based on your responses, I'm inclined to think it is just puberty and he's saying "hi" ...