• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

chilly walk today!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Finally it feels like winter, rather than just like horribly windy weather.

We had sun this morning and early afternoon and I took the dogs to the Phoenix Park for a long walk (90 minutes). I've started my NEW approach -- they are each clipped to a seatbelt harness so not all grouped in a crate. Then they each get to come out, one by one, *when they stop whining and barking*. Lily has really set them all off in a whine and barkfest whenever we go somewhere and the car stops (yet another discovery for me about how three = a pack and introduces new pack behaviour in previously polite cavaliers...) -- so after a talk about this with Lisa and Tara this is my new approach, to reward them with coming out only when they are quiet. But it only works if I can manage it one by one.

Needless to say, Lily was the last one out. The boys were so much better without her outside and barking her head off -- she always barks when excited so this little show lasts about the first 5 minutes.... :roll: . Eventually I was just walking the boys back and forth and leaving her to bark and bark... some people walked by and I am sure thought I was cruelly neglecting that poor little dog barking and barking at us in the window. icon_blshing

But actually it didn;t take that long. I would start walking towards the car whenever she stopped, then stop and turn my back on her as soon as she started up again, repeat, repeat, repeat til I go to the car and opened the door. To my surprise she stayed quiet while I got her out; I thought we'd do a couple of opening and closing doors as well. :lol:

Now that she was mostly barked out they all three were much more manageable and more interested in getting moving than having a little repertoire of annoying behaviours before we even started.

Anyway after that we had a nice long brisk walk after all that; it got cloudy and very windy and cold but felt nice and fresh! Leo dove into the creek and swam despite the chilliness. :shock: But was dried out pretty quick again in that wind and from running around.

Does anyone else like those cold walks better than warm days? I like crisp winter walks.

PS they are all on the couch and dog beds now with pizzle sticks but only Lily, who will always do anything for food, has enough energy to gnaw away.
:roll:

that is a great idea!! it is very cold out today!! i would say u felt it after 90 mins!!!

Hi Karlin

Yes I know what you mean I love brisk winter walks, where I live we get rain most of the winter season, and on Friday we had a large snowfall. :D Rio's first time in the snow, it was fun!

At least it cleared for yesterday but rained yet again! :roll:

Today wasnt too bad hasnt rained yet but still very mucky from the melting snow. Rio went on a very long walk and ended up covered in it we always stop for rests I think he enjoys the attention when outside. The amount of people that stop him is amazing :lol:

The great thing about having a dog is being able to go outside and exercise I think especially in chilly weather, parents are thinking about looking into adopting an older cavalier once Rio has grown a little more, he is nearly 6 months so we would be looking for one not too old and not too young as we would love to give them a home and Rio would love the companionship.

Melissa :flwr:

90 minutes, wow! I wish I could last that long on a winter walk - our "long walks" tend to top out at about an hour... icon_whistling I confess my favourite time of year is the autumn, not too hot, not too cold :) But Teiglin doesn't mind the cold and snow as long as he's wearing his booties, so out we go... though I draw the line at minus 20 - if it's that cold we go for very short walks... icon_whistling
good luck with your new approach, it sounds like they're catching on already!

If I were in Canada I think 20 minutes in winter would probably do it for me, too! :lol:

Ireland is a lot warmer -- we are on the gulf stream. :) So today is was cold -- but not bitterly cold!

I prefer the colder weather too but not bitterly cold.

Our long walkies are about an hour in length...usually twice a day.

Daughter takes her out for an hour or so at night, unless it's really cold.

I felt really bad when Charley was so ill that he had to give up his long walks, he loved an afternoon at the beach. Towards the end, he couldn't even go around the block, poor guy.

Mary Alice thinks she's in heaven at the beach, don't think she's ever seen a park that big...wait til we take her to the Toronto Islands!! ;D

I was just thinking earlier how fed up i am with the weather, today was definitely cold - but took the dogs out for an early evening walk and enjoyed the cold crisp air - definitely cleared away the brain cobwebs. It was getting kind of dark and I'm not sure the boys enjoyed it as much as I did - they stuck real close to me. Max is a whiner too, and on our street his barks and whines are echoed very loudly. You'd think these guys never get out for walks, they get so excited - putting on a harness and lead is such hard work.

I have noticed a slight stretch in the evenings though, so bring on the longer days and hopefully warmer weather.

That sounds like a nice way to spend the early afternoon on a sunny winter's day.

I can just picture Lily barking away in the car and you walking back and forth with the other two. :) She will learn, though!

Yeah her little face looking out was rather startled; she was having conniptions in there. :roll:

I don't think Lily will take very long to catch on, when Leo and Jaspar get out and she doesn't....these are Cavvies!! :lol: :lol:

Bet she "gets it" on the third go round....must have been very cold to hang around the car, though! :)

Wow, you sure are patient! I'm glad it finally paid off and Lily was able to join the others before you were frozen! ;)

Yes, I do prefer to walk when it's brisk outside. Not windy, but cold and clear. I live in a rural area and like to walk when the moon is out and the stars are shining. It's peaceful and gorgeous.

Back