PDA

View Full Version : Owning a Cav causes mental stress?

KingstonsMom
22nd January 2007, 07:21 AM
I know this is off-the-wall, but does anyone else feel mentally stressed from owning their Cav? I love Kingston so much that I am constantly worrying about him. When he scratches, I wonder if he has SM; when we go for walks I'm terrified he'll pick something up and swallow it; when he jumps off the bed (despite having doggy steps) I flinch thinking he might hurt himself. It's especially stressful during the day when I can't be with him. It's hard and I get so sad being away from him for any length of time. I guess I'm trying to see if other people deal with these emotions or if I'm just being crazy. I honestly have never experienced these feelings in my entire life. If something ever happened to this dog I would go off the deep end. It's scary how much I love him.

alibunnylady
22nd January 2007, 07:41 AM
I'm not quite so bad as you but I do worry about the slightest thing out of the ordinary with Bertie and I hate to ba away from him.

I've always had mongrels in the past and don't ever remember being such a worrier with them.

If Bertie sneezes, I worry, if he sleeps a little more than normal, I worry, anything, I worry! lol!

I'm learning to be a bit more relaxed as he's growing, he's six months old now but I still worry a hundred times more than I have with my previous dogs.

Alison

cavalicious
22nd January 2007, 07:56 AM
I definately worry about Ollie scratching! :shock:

And when he goes up and down stairs and slips around on the wooden floor :?

Oh no! :sl*p: lol

Nisha
22nd January 2007, 10:58 AM
wow that tennis ball looks huge in ollies mouth!!!!!! how does it fit!....yea i know the worry....i am 4ever worried about them!!!!!! it is quite stressing actually....but its died down loads now...it was mainly when they were younger and now only when there is sumthing 2 b worried about ill worry. ;) :p

Edited to say: but they give me much more joy than stress...and as i said now since theyre older id rather enjoy what i have with them rather than worry all the time which is becoming easier every day.

Natalie
22nd January 2007, 11:00 AM
i thought that i was the only one who worried like that i feel better knowing that i am not alone.

Cathy Moon
22nd January 2007, 11:54 AM
I used to worry a lot when they were young. Having raised 2 other puppies in the past helped a lot, and reading dog magazines and books helped too, especially books written by vets and cavalier books.

I try not to worry too much about SM and MVD. Geordie and Chocolate both have slight heart murmurs, so we're planning to schedule a cardio appointment soon. I have two 3 year olds and a 4 year old - I'm thinking about starting a journal for each of them to keep track of scratching and scooting behaviors, just so I won't accidentally overlook something.

Basically I'm trying to enjoy as many moments with them as I possibly can, and providing them with a safe, healthy, loving environment. What's really nice about this board is that we all have this in common! :flwr:

Zippy
22nd January 2007, 01:42 PM
Nope, I enjoy having my Cavvie......all the time.

We know that she was abused, has some problems that are concerning but it's much better for everyone if we just enjoy the time we have together.

Having lost our beloved Charley last summer, I know how terrible that is and that Mary Alice has helped us all regain some sort of equalibrium.

Mary Alice is a total delight, can't imagine life without a Cavvie! :flwr: :flwr:

It's been proven that having a pet is good for your mental and physical health....no negatives for us. :)

Cicero's Mummy
22nd January 2007, 01:44 PM
Quite the opposite... it is clinically proven that dogs reduce stress and depression in owners!

moniechris
22nd January 2007, 02:21 PM
I worry a ridiculous amount as well. It's because they are just sooooo special to me that I tear up the second I think of something bad happening to them. These guys are like my children, and my bond is so close to them that I couldn't imagine life without them. Really, I don't want any biological children because if I worry this much about dogs, I am going to be the most overbearing parent on the planet!!!! icon_whistling

*Pauline*
22nd January 2007, 02:29 PM
Yes, total worrier. I especially can't stand it when anyone picks Dylan up in case they drop him. And eveyone wants to pick him up. Even if they are on the sofa, my rule is, he is only alowd on up if he is sleepy and more likely to lie still!

I'm just the same with my kids who are all grown up now. I still tell my 19 year old to be careful crossing the road and she can't go up the shop in the dark!!!!

I'm a total nervous wreck!!! :?

Joanne M
22nd January 2007, 03:49 PM
I can ABSOLUTELY understand your stress. I can relate to it because I've experienced some of it myself. I never imagined I could become as I am with regard to a pet. It's difficult for me to even use the word pet when I think of my relationship with Tucker. One thing that I've tried to tell myself is that although I want to be informed about cavaliers, and diseases they are prone to, I do not want to spend too much time dwelling on it. I can look at Tucker as my much loved companion or I can look at him as a potential patient. I prefer a companion. I bring him for regular checkups at the vet, and if he's sick he goes in to be seen. I rely upon experts to tell me if my dog is healthy or unhealthy. Since I've put him on a diet that works for him, I feel much more relieved. The old worries creep in from time to time, is this an itch or is this a symptom of SM and then I tell myself to stop. Jeez, it's winter, my skin is dry and itches, dry flaky skin on my body is just that, I moisturize for it, I don't run to a website on dermatologic disorders.

For me the depth of the love I feel for Tucker was unexpected. I have no children. Perhaps if I were a mother I would not worry as I have. But I'm relieved to say, I've turned a corner, not completely worry free, but I no longer look at him for symptoms. I look at him with love and pleasure. Enjoy Kingston.

edited to include: Chris I've had the same thoughts myself with regard to what I'd be like as a parent. Based on my reaction to Tucker, I suspect I'd be one of those incredibly nervous mothers. Although at least with human babies I have experience, being one of 7 children, and having 12 nieces and nephews. I had lots of experience mothering, just not to a furbaby.

Cathy T
22nd January 2007, 04:08 PM
I can totally relate! I used to be a terrible worrier. Now that mine are 3 and 4 years old I really don't worry as bad as I used to. Both of mine have been through surgeries and illnesses and I think having been through this has eased me a bit. I was so stressed about the surgeries but we survived and are better for it, I think. Once they get a little older I really found I didn't worry as much.

Funny you should say this though. I was laying in bed last night and thinking "I want cuddles from my puppies" (they sleep in crates, not with us). And I wondered how parents feel. Do they miss their children when they put them to bed and want to cuddle with them. It's kind of ridiculous. I work at home so I spend all day with them. It's almost scary how much I love them. I've had cats and was very attached to my cats. But this is over the top. Wouldn't trade them for the world but had no idea how smitten I would be.

Zippy
22nd January 2007, 04:36 PM
Okay, feel I must reply......

Children are wonderful too, you love them like mad too, and they are very expensive just like our Cavvies.

Children, however, grow and change.....you're Cavvie won't!!

What you see in a Cavvie, is what you get....for their whole life!! :lol: :lol:

WoodHaven
22nd January 2007, 04:40 PM
Cathy-- you said that so eloquently.
I've had pets all my life-- but cavaliers changed me. I worry more about them -- but, when I go to sleep and they are curled around me (better than any electric blanket) there is a sense of PEACE I get that is unlike any other.
My older daughter calls my Katrina her "other" sister. She assisted at the c/section spay of Katrina and kept saying to the doctors-- you are working on my moms "other" baby.

Charleen
22nd January 2007, 04:43 PM
I don't worry, but it was a conscious decision. I know the risks and I do everything possible to alleviate what I can through training. I work with the vet on what can be fixed with their health. I know that Pippin and Merry got the raw end of the DNA pool and they have & will have lots of problems, but I have decided to enjoy every moment that I have them. To appreciate the good times and do the best I can for them in the bad times.

Kodee
22nd January 2007, 04:48 PM
I can relate to this but not with any pets I have had. While reading your story it sounded so familar - it was me, but with the 2.5 yrs of my daughters life. When the second was born at that time, she was so relaxed and an easy baby, I realized I fussed too much over the first. First babies can be that way cause mom is a little wound up! My thinking here, is its the same. Try to relax and not worry over every little thing - SM or other illnesses if present will be noticable with consistent signs over a period of time. I swore my first born had every illness under Dr Spocks index (ha did I show my age!)

Kodee
22nd January 2007, 04:58 PM
Quite the opposite... it is clinically proven that dogs reduce stress and depression in owners!

Heee that was my calling card to get a cav! After our lab I wanted a dog pretty quick - I have never in my life since 5 not had clicking of doggie toe nails on my floor! Having a slight balance disorder (Getting Older Is Inevitable. Growing Up Is Optional) I remember training a lab enough to know I'd be on my face in 30 sec!. So to push for the Cavalier which I set my mind on was definately going to be my first breed other than a lab - I pulled stats showing a study that a cavalier because of their nature to be lap dogs reduced high blood pressure (oh yet another recent ailment). OK my husband is not so stupid he fell for it, but weakened none the less realizing when I start using arguements like that, I wont stop till I get my way. See husbands are easier to train than the family pet!

Katie
22nd January 2007, 05:20 PM
I'm with Kody about this. Having had children, I really don't think I feel the same about our puppy (but it's early days yet at 20 weeks!). If one's flesh and blood are ill, it is a complete nightmare and I worry about my three all the time, and no doubt will continue to do so for a long time to come. My anxieties connected to the dog are mainly that if I let anything happen to her it would devastate the children. I know I would get over it, in spite of being besotted with her myself - but I hate seeing my children upset (although it's a necessary part of life).

I suppose if one doesn't have kids these dogs really can wind themselves round your heart in a similar way! Even so, one does have to get a sense of perspective and relax a bit and leave it to fate to a degree.

JADE AND LADY
22nd January 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm exactly the same ever since i got lady i'm so over protective, when my little sister try's to play with her i'm always shouting at her it's horrible :x :x
But u have to get them used to being on there on as you would never get to go anywhere.
I went to my little sisters christmas play which i brought lady and the principal stood on the stage and told me to leave the building or put the mut in a cage :x :x :x :x :x :x well what i didn't say ,i'll put u in a cage lady is no mut.She let me stay anyway but the cheek :D :D

Joanne M
22nd January 2007, 05:51 PM
hahaha Jade you are a character!!! Even I haven't gone that far with Tucker. Although, I would like to bring him with me everywhere too.

JADE AND LADY
22nd January 2007, 06:41 PM
I no i just expect every where to allow dogs because i see her as my baby and if they tell she's not aload in somewhere i go mad ,it's sad but true.
Sure one day my mum asked me to go for lunch with her so i took lady along as i only had her 3 weeks but we went to a pub for carvery and i put her in my handbag as she fit queit comfortable :D and my coat over my arm and sat down the back it was so funny she kept sticking her head out to see what was happening :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If the staff had seen her they would've trough me out

moniechris
22nd January 2007, 07:28 PM
When Stewie was a pup, he fit perfectly in my purse (he literally fit in the palm of my hand at 12 weeks :D ) I snuck that little puppy with me EVERYWHERE!! He went to the aquarium, the movies, restaraunts, museums etc). It was great because his poofy little face would stick out the side of the bag and usually I only got spotted by children because they were eye level with him under my arm :lol: I miss those days!!

Cicero's Mummy
22nd January 2007, 07:48 PM
I suppose if one doesn't have kids these dogs really can wind themselves round your heart in a similar way! Even so, one does have to get a sense of perspective and relax a bit and leave it to fate to a degree.

No kids here... but I agree with the "perspective and relax a bit"!!

While I treat my puppy like my kiddo (in the essence that it has everything for a pup known to man), I still realize it is a doggie! Totally different!

Anywho... about the going everywhere!! I am all for sneaking my dog in everywhere! Fortunately places in Ohio are getting better about allowing dogs! When going to a restaurant I try to choose one that has a patio (weather permitting) so that I can take my poochie with me. I hate the winter!

A lot of our malls are doggie friendly! We even have one that encourages you to bring your pup shopping with you!

JADE AND LADY
22nd January 2007, 07:52 PM
I'd love to live in america :drivecar: :w*w: :w*w: :w*w: :drivecar:

Cicero's Mummy
22nd January 2007, 07:56 PM
I'd love to live in america

I always find it funny when people say this!! I would love to live in Austria, Ireland, Scotland or England! (maybe not forever but for a few years)

America is very, well, boring when you are not in "tourist" areas. Just about the same as everywhere else. And mid-west weather is horrible.

Although, the West is amazing!! That is where dh and I would love to end up. We are putting in match cities and our tops ones so far are:

1. Denver, Colorado
2. Arizona
3. Utah

JADE AND LADY
22nd January 2007, 08:12 PM
Ijust think dog's have a little more leeway in america there not seen as just pets but part of the family,i know lots of people all over the world are the same but i can't even explain it maybe its the magazines i read :D :D :D
with all the celebs (i no i'm so sad) and there dogs.

Cicero's Mummy
22nd January 2007, 08:15 PM
I know what you mean about celebs and thier dogs. I get The New York Dog and The LA Dog Magazines and man... celebs and thier doggies is what the maggies are all about!

-:) Cicero is gonna be jealous!!

Joanne M
22nd January 2007, 08:49 PM
Mathis, how long is that you have to wait before you actually get Cicero?

Chris I wanted to sneak Tucker lots of places but I worried my furtive looks and guilty face would give me away for sure.

judy
22nd January 2007, 09:49 PM
i had mongrel dogs as a kid, especially my first cocker mix teddy and then in my 20s i had Frank, best friend forever (a girl). i have thought about this since getting zack.

From the time when Frank died and when i got Zack, it was about 27 years without a dog, and during that time, i had a daughter who is now 23. before my daughter, i never felt maternal before, and to me, my dogs were my friends, pals, they were like my human friends, someone to hang out with and enjoy, but not someone who's health you worry about, like if your friend as the flu, you are sorry but you are not axiety stricken. but with my daughter, suddenly i was so maternal, all those instincts, protective, nurturing, and easily becoming anxious if she was sick, and i was also worried about people who snatch kids and kill them so i kept my eye on her.

It was wonderful, for my heart to grow and deepen like that, it was the most wonderful thing that ever happened to me, to be responsible for a vulnerable dependent little being. i had never thought of my dogs that way, they were healthy and low maintenance, until teddy got hit by a car at age 5, i was 14, and Frank died fast of cancer at 13 when i was around 30.

but when i got zack, it's been just like how i felt about my daughter, and i feel that way about my daughter's cavalier belle too, i feel responsible and very nurturing and protective, they don't seem like buddies and pals to me very much, more like little kids.

The day i got zack, he moaned and cried pitifully in the car driving home and i didn't know what was wrong, i felt so helpless. so i kept him in my lap. Then he immediately was sick with bloody diarrhea. You bet i worried, blood coming out of his butt the day i brought him home! it took 5 weeks and seeing vets several times a week, and changing vets several times, until i found one who cured him of his diarrhea and vomiting. Until he was helped, i couldn't relax or rest, i had to figure out how to help him. when we were in the emergency room waiting to see a doctor and he vomited in his crate, and i cleaned it up, i was telling him we are in it for the long haul, and I will take care of him and do all i can for him. i had had him 3 weeks then.

Since zack has been well and healthy, i have, gratefully, been free of worrying about his health. But one thing you mentioned that i do feel bad a lot about is leaving him alone when i go to work. I never gave any thought to leaving Frank alone. Frank came with me almost everywhere, and i never owned a leash, we were buds, we hung out, but i did leave her sometimes of course, for some hours, and i went to Europe once and left her with friends, and i just never worried about her at all. But Zack is another matter.

i don't really see a whole lot of difference between how it was with my daughter and how it is with zack, in my heart. A child is way harder, way more needs, more complex, dogs, even young ones, are more independent than young children. But in my heart, it still feels pretty much the same, and it's good, i like it, i like having a little being to care for and to sacrifice for (like coming home from work at lunch, even though it is not convenient, and is sometimes a hardship).

I have enjoyed my daughter at all her developmental stages, and would not want to go backward, yet i still have felt wistful and sad at the thought of never again getting to have those feelings that i had when she was very small, and then i got Zack, and it was so unexpected to feel as i had about my child. i'm very happy to have this experience.

i haven't thought of my part of the US as that dog friendly. I live near the beach and it's huge, it goes for a thousand miles, but there's no dog beach near me. There are some nice dog parks. But what was really dog friendly was when i went to France way back in 1969 and there were dogs and cats in the restaurants, i thought it was cool, a cat walked behind me and rubbed against my back while i ate. Does anyone know, is it still like that in France? It was in Paris, but also i think it was in other cities too, Bayonne or Biarritz.

KingstonsMom
22nd January 2007, 09:55 PM
Wow! I didn't expect so many responses so fast. I'm glad I'm not alone in this... To clarify, I know it's scientifically proven that dogs are stress relievers. I just wondered if others worry about their Cavs as much as I do. Kingston has definitely brought more joy to my life than I ever imagined. However, I don't know if I could handle having human children. I'd probably smother them with overprotectiveness!

Ijust think dog's have a little more leeway in america there not seen as just pets but part of the family

That's interesting. Is America really more dog-oriented than other places???

KingstonsMom
22nd January 2007, 10:16 PM
Judy, I love your post. You couldn't have said it better. I feel miserable when I leave Kingston home alone. He adds so much to my life...I want him to know he's loved every second of the day. I'm young (only in my 20s) and Kingston has helped me grow enormously. He's taught me complete selflessness. When friends ask me to go to bars or out dancing, I suddenly find myself declining their invitations so that I can go home to my little dog who needs me. When Kingston gets sick or has diarrhea, I clean up after him without disgust or resentment. And when he needed eye surgery, I gladly forked over more money than I could afford. This might not sound like much, but for a 20-something like me it represents an entirely new way of life.

JADE AND LADY
22nd January 2007, 10:41 PM
Well maybe it's just the mags i read or the television i watch,but it seems the aload everywhere.
I'd love to bring lady over to my uncle in america, he lives in Boston ,massehcussats(don't think i spelt that right) she'd love it,but can you bring them with you for a visit. :drivecar:
i'm only in my 20's aswell but im the exact same ,i rang in the new year with lady.
new year new life(lady)

Gingers Mommy
22nd January 2007, 10:45 PM
I feel the same way, well I did when I first brought Ginger home.
The first 3 months was so hard for me, I would practically cry leaving her and I was ALWAYS stressed out.
I think it takes time, now I still think about her and worry but I find that Wow 2 hours have gone by and I havent thought about Ginger (then of course I feel bad for not having thought about her!).
Im with her every chance I get, dont mind picking up the poos, cleaning up the pees and vomits and have become totally selfless. (even see other dogs pooing on the street and find myself saying "oh how cute")
Its a great feeling and I only hope she knows How much I really love her. I often wake in the middle of the night and touch her to make sure shes breathing!
My sister thought I was nuts, (coming from a No Dog Family) but she told me she used to sit by her daughters door and listen to make sure she was still breathing.
I KNOW im going to overprotect and smother my children with love, but I think its a good thing. I think for me it comes from being in a sorta cold (not saying anything bad about my family!) household.
Just wanted to let you know i'm the same way!

Lisa_T
22nd January 2007, 10:50 PM
I'm not certain that America is any more dog orientated than anywhere else. France, however, is excellent. In some parts of the Riviera you're the odd one out if you don't have a pup tucked under your arm. Preferably supplied with sunglasses that match yours. OK, that's an exageration, but not much of one.

Sorry for spelling. I'm having one of those nights where I can't remember how to spell anything!

I've said this before, but I take the attitude that since their lives are short anyway, there's no point in spoiling the pleasure they bring by agonising over anything and everything. True, they could (and probably will) develop MVD/SM- but they could also (God forbid) get killed on the road tomorrow. I think having lost two dogs as child to the road has made me perhaps more likely to focus on the now, and let the future take care of itself. But I do make sure I'm aware of the various conditions and I try to read whatever Karlin posts on new SM/MVD treatment protocols.

Then again, while I adore my dogs I never forget they *are* dogs. They don't sleep with me, for instance. I would never refer to them as furkids/furbabies, and I told my parents to stop calling them 'grand dogs' because I didn't like it. They're still spoilt rotten though. :D

Remali
22nd January 2007, 11:18 PM
It's so nice to know I'm not the only one who worries about being away from her dogs! I love my boys so much that I hate being away from them, and I worry about them when I'm not home. I also find myself turning down invitations to go places with friends because most of the time I would rather stay home with my dogs (that being the case I usually have my friends come over here to visit me)! I'm single and I never had any kids, I am 50 years old, and have had a rough last few years due to the death of both of my parents, and just recently I lost a very good job that I enjoyed very much. My dogs are helping me get thru the rough spots though, and I'll get thru it with their help.

Nisha
22nd January 2007, 11:25 PM
in america there not seen as just pets but part of the family,i know lots of people all over the world are the same but i can't even explain it maybe its the magazines i read
with all the celebs (i no i'm so sad) and there dogs.

yea i agree with the people part...but honestly with the celebrities it looks like they use their dogs as accessories rather than companions :roll:

Cicero's Mummy
22nd January 2007, 11:57 PM
Mathis, how long is that you have to wait before you actually get Cicero?

Chris I wanted to sneak Tucker lots of places but I worried my furtive looks and guilty face would give me away for sure.

He comes home in Feb. It just seems like forever because I jumped onto the site when we found out the Momma was pregnant with Cicero. So, it has been quite some time... and I have been lurking around for about 4 months before that!!

We have had other dogs before, growing up, before we met and such. This is our first Cavalier together.

nlg679
23rd January 2007, 12:33 AM
I, too, have had dogs in the past-great dogs! And many lovely cats.
Maybe it is because I have no children or significant other but my dogs have me completely neurotic! BUt, they also, have amazed me with their devotion! I will never, ever forget the joy they brought to my dad. Or the loyalty Teddy paid to his pop-pop at the end.
I worry about them and I know they are dogs but they are the most loyal companions and sometimes, the best listeners in the world. No judgement -just complete attentiveness.
It is different with these cavaliers...a totally different dog relationship than I have ever had with other pets. :flwr:

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

quinnk
23rd January 2007, 03:30 PM
Hi all
Im new to this site. I have a cavalier 7 months old I called him Raffa. Im the same all my family think im crazy, as I am constantly worrying about him. He was a sick puppy with Kennel cough and then he ate a bone and got internal bleeding.

Zippy
23rd January 2007, 03:47 PM
I think Cavaliers are a bit different from other doggies too.

Whenever our vet sees a "new" Cavvie, he kisses it on the head and says "this will be a marriage made in Heaven"! :lol: :lol:

I think that's lovely...... :flwr: :flwr:

quinnk
23rd January 2007, 03:53 PM
I think thats sweet, they are so easy to fall in love with. I have never had a pet before.......but my 17yr old daughter begged me to get a Cav. We are so obsessed with him.

angie
23rd January 2007, 10:41 PM
first i have got to say omg!!! how cute!!!! your picture of katrina and the pup is the most adorable ever. :wggle: if you have read any of my posts you will know that most of them are to do with some worry or another. :? but unlike any of my children aged 16 15 and 10. jadan doesnt answer back, isnt late in, is always happy to see me and greet me with a big waggy tail and will listen endlessly to anything i have to say!!! with out a sarky comment, is the first at the dinner table. goes to bed on time, isnt badgered into more excersice as is happy to oblige, loves his bath, helps with the dishes ;) checks whos at the door, lets me know when the cat wants to come in, is always ready for a cuddle and the list goes on and on. i love him to bits cos he loves me to bits back unconditionally and not just because i have treated him to the latest must haves! icon_whistling i had always been a cat person but since having my j, must admit i am totally converted. :flwr:

Remali
24th January 2007, 12:41 AM
I have to agree too.....Cavaliers are really different than other breeds. I've had Poodles and Shelties, and I loved them all, and they were all loving and wonderful companions. But, well, Cavaliers are just so in tune with you emotionally, more so than other breeds. I still do have a toy Poodle, he is Bentley's (my Cavalier) best buddy, and I love Bailey my Poodle so much, but he is more aloof than Bentley is. I'd be so lost without them, they're both my family.

Gracie's Mommy
24th January 2007, 01:26 AM
I too can totally relate to this post! We've had Gracie month now and I am getting better, but I still worry about her so much! In the beginning, I had diagnosed her with about every serious ailment I read about online. :sl*p: While I'm sure that some of that has to do with the fact that she's our first puppy...much of it has got to do with the fact that I was immediately so emotionally attached to her.

I know that eventually something will happen to her...it's inevitable that she will eventual get sick or hurt and I dread that. I knew about MVD...that seemed manageable. SM, on the other hand, is just flat out scary. I obsessed about every scratch and weird movement for the first week or so. But, now I've started to get better with that and enjoy now rather than worry about what might be.

What I do still have a lot of trouble with is leaving her at home. I worry so much when I'm not there to watch out for her. As awful as it will be when she's sick for the first time, I can only imagine how horrible I would feel if something happen to her while we weren't home. That said, she has a very safe crate and a very safe room fo when we're gone for longer periods.

Anyway, I've found this experience has brought out very maternal instincts in me! We're looking to start our family in a couple of years, until then we have our first (fur)baby!

Shay
24th January 2007, 02:00 AM
Well, I have to say I'm a worrier by nature. It drives my hubby crazy. He is just the opposite. I can't say that I worry about Lily more than I worried about my Lhasa, except for the fear of SM. My Old English Sheepdog I got when I was 17, and I had her until I was 31. She was a great dog and she got me through a bad divorce and the death of my Dad when I was 24. I loved her dearly, but never really had to worry about her because she was hardly ever sick. My Lhasa I got 13 years ago, and I worried about her constantly from about 6 mos old when she had her first major illness and almost died. She was my constant companion up until 4 years ago when I had to move and couldn't take her, which broke my heart. My Mom kept her, and then she and my Mom bonded so much that I couldn't take her away from my Mom when I moved back. As much as I loved her, she was a difficult doggy and only wanted to be loved on her terms. When I got Lily, I was looking for an affectionate and sweet natured dog. She is all that and more. I have said this before, she is unlike any dog I have ever known. She has turned my hubby, who was not even a dog lover into mush. He said that these dogs are really more like human babies and I agree. Sorry, I have gotten off topic here. So my bottom line answer is except for fear of SM. I don't think in my case, she has been more stressful than my Lhasa. Hopefully, that won't change.

Gracie's Mommy
24th January 2007, 02:23 AM
Shay, excellent point! The extra worry is so worth it for every Cavalier kiss...and repaid many times over with all of that selfless Cavalier love! :flwr:

Crittercall
24th January 2007, 03:43 AM
You guys are absolutely nuts - NOT

I had written a long, eloquent email but my computer decided that it couldn't get to the website. Lucky for you guys, huh?

My one and only daughter was born when I was 23, and would not let me hold her. Talk about frustrating! She's always been an independent spirit and has always said that I'm an over-protective Mom.

I fall in love deep and hard for my pets - probably more so now that I don't live near my daughter. I weep and grieve for days. I think that's one reason I've taken so many classes on how to deal with the death of a pet and have read lots of books on the subject. So many people are ashamed to admit that they do feel genuine loss and grief when they loose a pet. Fear of ridicule from the general public that isn't pet loving.

My biggest worry these days is Wallis. She's getting on in years, her hearing is not what it used to be, she has only the one eye. We came in the other day and she was lying in the living room on her bed. I called to her more than once and she didn't move. I started crying right them, as Bubba walked over to her and touched her and she moved. She needs to have surgery and I (a)don't trust my vet and (b)don't want to leave her overnight when I can watch her better at home. I have been referred to another vet who is very familiar with Cavaliers so I'm going to be taking her there soon.

We almost lost Tibby last year to HGE. Bubba was in denial that all the blood that was coming from both ends was really serious and wanted to wait until the next morning to have her seen. I had already hit my books and knew that she might not last the night at the rate she was going. I had told him that one more bloody incident of any kind and we were going to the emergency clinic. He quietly admitted that she had vomited blood again so I made a phone call and we were gone. (The vet was pretty impressed that I had already made the diagnosis and just about everybody there was asking me to fill out an application. I wasn't in shape to do it then, but am thinking about it now.)

I worry about the girls because when I went out of town to get away from hurricanes a couple of years ago, SOMEONE decided that they shouldn't be kept in crates any more when they were left here. I still fuss about that, to no avail. I am of the belief that a dog is happier and more secure when it knows that it has a place it can go that is its own where no one will bother it. So much for me and what I think!

I've had many pets and have lost many pets, but the hardest one will be Wallis, no doubt. I cry just thinking about it. I don't know what Bubba will do with me.

And you guys!! You're killing me with all these puppies! I keep making him come in here and look at the pictures so his biological doggie clock will start ticking!

Some of us will worry about any and everything (that's my hand you see raised for that one); some of us will pick and choose what we worry about; but I think that most of us would be hard pressed not to worry about the pets that give us such joy.

Barbara Nixon
24th January 2007, 09:23 PM
Owning Izzy is very stressful as he has had last stage MVD for over two years. Any day could be his last, but i'm so grateful for the bonus 2 years, so far. I worry that Joly will get MVD , as his grandfather has it, but then at 10 plus, his murmur is still mild, as is Monty's and he's 11.

Remali
27th January 2007, 02:44 AM
This is a great thread, I'm enjoying reading everyone's posts.

:)

Crittercall
27th January 2007, 07:55 AM
I have an appt for the girls with the new vet on Wednesday and will probably be a basket until then. We went to Jacksonville tonight and didn't get home until a bit after 2 a.m. The cat was on Wallis's bed so she was on the floor, halfway on a pillow and halfway under the bed and she couldn't get out by herself. I've cried and cried................