• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Neuturing?

It really depends on your personal preference and vet recommendation. I know a shelter here that does pediatric spay/neuter. All the puppies that go out (of the shelter) at 12 weeks are spay/neutered at The Ohio State College of Vet Medicine before they go home.

Our vet is fine with pediatric spay/neuter and says that it helps reduce the probability of some cancers found in those general areas.

On a whole people say 6 months for neuter because it is usually around then when the testicles descend and it is quite a simple "surgery."

The general consenses seems to be around 6 months, but I went through some really obnoxious male behaviors (marking in the house, on trees, on people's legs they happen to like :? :yikes ) with my other two so I had Cody done earlier (16 weeks) It was really simple, he had all of his last shots, microchip and nuetering done at the same time.

If your pup has some baby teeth left in that are not budging, then I would wait until 6 months because those will need to be pulled and it is easier just to get it all done at once. :D

My vets generally recommend 6-8 months or so for males. I waited til about 8 and 10 months. In future, I woud perhaps wait til they have reached their adult growth at about one year, but this is personal preference with the luxury of waiting and also being able to manage a marking male.

Most people like to neuter males around 6-8 months. I'd only neuter earlier than that in an animal shelter situation where I wanted to be very sure a dog or cat would never be bred from. There are studies indicating very early neuter is fine but unless absolutely necessary I feel it is a bit premature. Consider all the fuss when the Oregon disabled girl was given a hysterectomy recently to stop her growth and sexual development. Neutering at under 6 months is like neutering a small child and makes me a bit uncomfortable unless there are compelling reasons for doing it that young. Just my personal POV.

yeah i can wait til 6-8 months just don't want him ever having the chance of getting away from me and getting some girl into trouble!

Generally you will know when he starts to have any interest in that direction -- around 6 months on, he will begin humping things, lifting his leg, urine will get stronger smelling. All signs he's becoming a sexually mature boy. Around that time is when people neuter. Rarely, they can mature enough to reproduce at around 4 months even. :yikes I've seen that more commonly with cats though.

Back