PDA

View Full Version : Louie is ill

Vanessa
22nd January 2007, 02:46 PM
Our bleinheim cavalier Louie (3) has just had a really bad weekend. He was diagnosed with Pancreatitis on Saturday and spent Saturday night in hospital in UCD in Dublin. We are really worried about him and so is his big half brother Sam. Has anybody else had an experience of this? :(

moniechris
22nd January 2007, 02:58 PM
I'm so sorry!! Poor little Louie! :( I hope he feels better soon. I don't know much about Panreatitis, but I have heard of small dogs getting it because they ate something that contained too much fat or grease and couldn't digest it.

The wonderful guy that cuts my hair said that his shih tzu got it because he got into the garbage and ate a large portion of skin from fried chicken. :? I've read that giving digestive enzymes on a regular basis can help avoid Pancreatitis, but I would check with your vet to be sure. I hope he gets better soon.

*Pauline*
22nd January 2007, 03:47 PM
Sorry Louie isn't well, please keep us posted on his progress. :hug:

-leah-
22nd January 2007, 03:50 PM
sorry to hear about louie, hes in good hands in UCD :)

Claire
22nd January 2007, 04:13 PM
Get well soon Louie - hugs coming over for Mummy and Sam also. :(

Joanne M
22nd January 2007, 04:40 PM
Vanessa, please keep us posted on Louie's progress. I only recently read about pancreatitis and fatty foods. I'm so sorry Louie is sick. Can you let us know what kind of treatment he gets, and also what to be on the look out for. What were his symptoms and what test had to be performed to diagnose the condition?

My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Karlin
22nd January 2007, 04:42 PM
Turkey skin.fatty foods can cause this, as can being overweight or underexercised but sometimes it seems to happen for no apparent reason, too. Do they think it is a chronic state for him or came from something he might have eaten? Hope all will be well for him.

Info:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/depancrea.html

Zippy
22nd January 2007, 05:38 PM
Poor Louie, hope he's feeling better soon and that it's a one off! :flwr: :flwr:

matties mum
22nd January 2007, 05:51 PM
Get well soon Louie :xfngr: that you and Sam have Louie home soon-----Aileen and the gang(Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

Dottie
23rd January 2007, 07:06 AM
I hope your Louie is doing better!

pippa
23rd January 2007, 12:32 PM
Hope Louie is on the mend soon :flwr:

Vanessa
24th January 2007, 03:14 PM
Hi all and thank you all so much for your kind thoughts and words. Louie is now home from hospital and hopefully on the mend. Louie is now on special food and will be for the rest of his life and also on a course of antibiotics. Our vet seems to think it just came on for no apparent reason as he is not overweight and very rarely gets extra food treats. He is due back to the vet for a check-up next Monday. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

PS How do I post photos

Vanessa
24th January 2007, 03:20 PM
Hi Joanna
Louie 's symptoms started very quickly. When we got up on Saturday morning he had been sick during the night all over the kitchen. He wouldn't eat anything and continued to be sick. When we took him to the vet he had swollen glands, a sore tummy and she performed a blood test.

Remali
24th January 2007, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear that Louis is doing better! It's so scary and stressful when your little buddy is ill.

Joanne M
24th January 2007, 05:59 PM
Thank you Vanessa, I appreciate your information. I sure hope Louie will be okay and the medication will manage this. Does this mean he's got chronic pancreatitis or is it not being able to tolerate things in his diet that most other dogs could? Carrots is a vegetable loaded with minerals and viitamins and something fun to chew on at the same time, but I was surprised when in a recent conversation with Tucker's breeder she cautioned me on giving him too many carrots, saying something to do with their high sugar content having potential effect on his gall bladder. Sometimes it seems the more you know the less you know!

I wish you and Louie all the best. Someone other than myself will be able to help with posting a picture of your angel. I had a helper to post mine.

(((((hugs))))))) from me and *slurps* from Tucker
Joanne

Linda'nQuincy
25th January 2007, 07:13 PM
So glad to hear that Louis is better, and can only imagine how stressful the illness must have been for you.

pippa
25th January 2007, 08:17 PM
So glad to hear Louie is feeling better :)

Vanessa
1st February 2007, 01:30 PM
:updte: Hi all just have a quick update on Louie. We visited our vet on Monday and Louie is on the mend, he is much happier and loves his new food, but misses his treats (he can't have any at the moment). He is backing playing with his big brother Sam and up to mischief. He is going back in 3 weeks time to have another blood test and hopefully he will be clear of Pancreatitis. I will keep you all posted and thanks againg for all your kind words from us all especially Louie & Sam :lotsaluv: :D

pippa
1st February 2007, 08:45 PM
Great news!

Claire L
1st February 2007, 09:15 PM
So glad to hear that Louie is on the mend :lotsaluv: It's no fun for a little guy to be throwing up like that - their tummy gets all tender and sore :hug: I hope it wont be too long before he can have treats again.

:flwr: :hug: