• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

trainer...

kimberlya

So we just had a dog trainer come over to our house to start some basic commands with Ellie, and one of the first things she says is "Wow, she's pretty big for a King Charles! They won't get much bigger than that." I'm thinking... Ellie is 12 weeks and probably about 7 pounds. I didn't think she was THAT big for her age... Am I wrong? I think the trainer is confused between and Cavalier King Charles and the King Charles... It made me a little defensive! And then she said on her way out, "Yeah, I think my next dog will be a King Charles." I guess I just wanted to complain and ask if Ellie seems abnormally large... icon_blshing

Hmm, I would just tell her she must be mistaken, as the standard size for a cavalier king charles spaniel is 13 to 18 pounds. :flwr:

I know how you feel, but I don't think that she is too big. I think that is about what Lily was at that age. She is now 5 mos old an weighs almost 13 lbs. I am changing her to adult food though, because I do think she may be growing too fast. I think Ellie is lovely.

Ellie's mom is 13 pounds and her dad is 17, so I'm thinking she'll be somewhere in there. She is growing a lot so I figured she'd be on the bigger side of the standard. That trainer just must be confused. I guess it is up to me to give her an education! ;)

Ellie isn't that big. I'm sure the lady was confused. Ellie was a little chunkier than Wesley when they were together, but if she's now 12 weeks and around 7lbs, then she's where she should be. By no means is she too big though. Not to mention, just because she's chunky now, doesn't mean she won't thin out or be more petite later.

And I've seen a lot in the human race where "larger" people have babies that are just tiny as babies and become larger people. And the opposite the other way. I was a fat baby and now I'm pretty small.

Ellie is BEAUTIFUL and healthy as she is. :)

I was disappointed when over a year ago at my first visit to the vet I use now (3rd vet's office) the vet tech said, WOW he's overweight. At the time Tucker weighed @ 9.7 lbs at 7 months old. The vet tech also tried to convince me he was a king charles spaniel. I explained that he was a cavalier, that the breed standard was between 12 - 18 pounds and that based on what I had read it was reasonable for cavs to weigh more than the standard, depending on structure, height. Around here there are so few cavs, the tech had no knowledge of the breed and got confused. Tucker is around 13.5 pounds now and he'll be 2 in May. Luckily based on the tech's comment I did not put my dog on a diet. The description they used of Tucker for his record reads "black and white". I plan on asking them to correct this and list him as black and tan. I wouldn't want there to be any confusion if he got lost and his microchip led someone to their office.

She hasn't seen enough cavaliers OR King Charles (English Toy) spaniels, that's for sure. She is a perfectly normal and average size for a puppy her age! A Charlie wouldn't be all that different; they are only slightly smaller. If she thinks that is large then she is seeing adult dogs that are way, way, unhealthily WAY below breed standard! :shock:

PS I have both the UK and US breed standards in the Library section -- print it out for her next time she comes by and warn her never to buy from anyone selling undersized dogs... (y)

Just a comment on Tuckers' description, any vets' office should be referring to her as a Cavalier, Black and Tan.

Our vet records have Mary Alice as a Blenheim, no notation of colouring needed....and our Charley was listed as a Tricoloured.

Even if they don't see many, they should know the different breeds. IMO. :flwr: :flwr:

I do too Zippy......but unfortunately, Cavs are so rare in my neck of the woods, most people don't know what they are. My Vets office did know she was a Cav, but as far as colour, I had to spell Blenheim for them. My Vet also told me that the 4 other Cavs he treats are all extremely large, well, he actually said over weight, which he said caused them all sorts of problems. He was happy with Lily's weight. It's funny I think she may be on the large side, and I've told Joanne that I love Tucker's size. I always thought that the parents determine how big a puppy would be, Lily's Mom was 13 lbs, and her Dad was 16. I thought she would be in that area somewhere. I have since read that the parents size really does not determine the size of the offspring. He said she should reach her adult size at about 10 mos. I'm not sure where she will end up, but no matter, it's all good. :D

When our Charley was just a puppy, our neighbours (who were "into" purebred doggies) asked me if he was "some sort of strange Cocker"!!!!

There is more awareness due to Sex and The Citys' Elizabeth Taylor. :lol:

I think quite a few grow outside of the breed standard....without being fat.

Look at the beautiful black cavvie that was in rescue, certainly different but beautiful non-the-less!! :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks for all your support and advice! I'll continue to educate her. ;)
Also, I didn't know that the parents' weight didn't really affect the puppy's weight! Good to know :D
Just exactly why I love this board!!!!

Back