• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Destroying toys

crimperess

Hi everyone.
Fern is destroying her toys in double quick time. Rope toys, she undoes the knots, pulls off the ball, sausage or whatever else is on it, then tries to eat the loose string. She will play with balls, and so far she hasn't destroyed one, but her enjoyment is short lived. Basically if she can't destroy it, she loses interest. Squeakers have thier extremeties bitten off too! :yikes

She has a ball which I put a few treats in, but there is a limit to how many treats she can have.

Fern was a year old on the 19th January.

Any ideas?

I have cavaliers that will gently carry toys around like they are babies-- never harming them at all-- I have one called Dominique-- aka Dominator-- she will take a toy meant for a lab and destroy it within hours. Domi is 14 pounds of pure ripping terror for toys.

Cody is the same way and I have completely given up on giving him stuffed toys. He has shredding down to an art and can rp the head of one of those things in 3 minutes flat. I had to take EVERYTHING away from him because he began to eat the string, stuffing and fabric :yikes

www.helpingudders.com has some of the only toys that keep him occupied and also safe. the tug-a jug, the Bouncy bone and treat stick are fabulous.
Nylabones have some great products out right now that keep him busy too. This one is shaped line Corn on the Cob and my boys LOVE them.
http://www.amazon.com/Nylabone-Barb..._57/103-6635392-1967801?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden

My parent's have this problem with Nacho - he will de-fluff a toy in record time and attempt to swallow the fluff even faster. So, he has been limited to Nylabones in various shape, sizes, flavors and flexibility. :)

I don't give Tucker those rope toys anymore for the same reason. He unknots them, shreds them and chews on the strands. I've had greater success cutting up an old cotton t-shirt into strips, placing several knots along the strip, another favorite tug of war toy is a cotton bathrobe belt I never used, knotted it up and he's been playing with it for months.

I was going to suggest helping udders too. You can designate a portion of your purchase to Lucky Star as well. The firehose toys amongst others are really tough.

We have just one toy our dogs have not been able to de-stuff or completely destroy. Its a section of firehose about 6" or 8" long filled with something and sewn shut at the ends. We have had it for at least a couple years and it's just very slightly frazzled at one end. The thing is, though, the dogs don't really play with it that much. I guess if they can't destroy it, it's no fun.

crimperess....I would suggest you throw away all rope toys. String can be seriously harmful if ingested. Try giving your pup nylabones and latex or vinyl toys. I buy the .99 cent latex toys at Walmart, and Kingston has yet to destroy one. However, he chewed through the firehose toy in one day.

Tucker hasn't chewed through the dollar toys from walmart either. Do you have the dinosaurs? (kingstonsmom)

I have started looking on the web for stuff in the UK. The cut up knotted t-shirt sounds like a winner, and the dressing gown belt.

Soft toys have been a no no, from almost day one.

She does play and sound aggresive, but loves to cuddle (on her own terms). Sometimes even a cuddle can provoke a play growl, which ends up like a cry, as if she is sorry but can't help herself! :?

Thanks for everyones advice.

Back