PDA

View Full Version : Time to Neuter

CosmoKC
23rd January 2007, 06:22 PM
I've decided to finally have Cosmo neutered this Friday. He is 8 1/2 months old.

I do have a question though. He is already lifting his leg to pee. Does this mean that I'm having this done too late?

*Pauline*
23rd January 2007, 06:28 PM
I would say yes but I don't know for sure. I do hope you are ok on Friday, I know it's stressful. :hug:

pippa
23rd January 2007, 07:17 PM
Gus lifts his leg to wee but pippin doesn't . They were neutered at 3yrs (GUS) and 1 yr (PIPPIN).

I had a jack russel that was neutered at 6 months but only stared lifting his leg at 1 yr. :? So to answer your question . Not sure sorry? But think that once they lift they keep on lifting!

I do think it's a good idea to neuter though. Good luck for fri don't worry too much,he'll be fine. :flwr:

Lindsay
23rd January 2007, 07:21 PM
I have never heard of leg lifting being a factor on why or why not to neuter. Spencer was lifting his leg long before he was done. No problems thus far. Good luck! :flwr:

arasara
23rd January 2007, 07:35 PM
Nope ~ it doesn't mean you waited too long. In fact, Kosmo is lifting his leg and he was neutered BEFORE he started doing that. It just seems to come with instinct. :) Way to go for being able to wait 8 1/2 months! :flwr:

WoodHaven
23rd January 2007, 07:37 PM
I've decided to finally have Cosmo neutered this Friday. He is 8 1/2 months old.

I do have a question though. He is already lifting his leg to pee. Does this mean that I'm having this done too late?

I love the fact that my boys lift their legs--- get a scented post - put it outside and they will almost always go to the post. My girls squat and walk and their feathering gets mucked up with ewwwh.

quinnk
24th January 2007, 11:35 AM
Hi everyone

I think this is a great website!!!

I have a male Cav 7 months but im not sure wether I want him neutered. Can anyone give me some information on why I should get him neutered.

WoodHaven
24th January 2007, 04:30 PM
Usually the best reason is so your dog doesn't smell a female in season and make a break for her. The need to mark things in the house tends to go way down once the testes are gone. jmo, sandy

BarbMazz
24th January 2007, 04:37 PM
Bentley was neutered at 11mos. He starting lifting his leg before that time. He's three now, and he sometimes lifts his left and sometimes not. I think when he *really has to wee he just squats. He will then go around and lift his leg on a few spots for recreation's sake. :roll:

You didn't wait too long to neuter; some boys lift their legs and some don't, and some are like Bentley where it depends what mood they're in!

My breeder asked me to wait until at least a year before neutering. I don't remember anymore what the reason was! icon_whistling

GusWilson
26th January 2007, 07:55 AM
I had Gus neutered at 8 and half months... he still lifts his leg sometimes but not all the time. The only thing I had to watch for was marking... for about a month after he was neutered when we went into a business or someone else's house I would watch him to make sure he didn't try to mark, if he did, I would say "No!". He finally broke the habit.

selina
26th January 2007, 09:30 AM
Jeremy started lifting his leg at 5 months :yikes . But only to pee. He has just been desexed at around the 8 month mark I think he is, and 5 days ago he lifted his leg inside and marked my daughters couch :yikes :yikes . He has never done this before. Needless to say its back to square one on the toilet training :? .I swear this age is harder than when they are younger. :lol: Boys!!! you have to every thing twice with them :lol: .

Nisha
26th January 2007, 09:35 AM
my two were neutured at 6 months and only started lifting their leg after that but i think it was just them...lots of my friends dogs lift their legs before they neutured..i dont think its nethin 2 worry about.