PDA

View Full Version : Spaying at 6 months - what age did your pup go into heat?

PamH
24th January 2007, 03:30 AM
My vet told me to bring Maddy in at 6 months for her spay.
I noticed on the internet that some pups can go into heat at 6 months.
What are the chances she will have her "season" before she is 6 months old?
Pam

WoodHaven
24th January 2007, 03:48 AM
I've had two come in at 6 months-- most are 7-9 months.

Bruce H
24th January 2007, 01:10 PM
We had one come it once at just over 5 months, but like Sandy said most are in that 7 to 9 month range.

Lisa_T
24th January 2007, 06:02 PM
Amber was done a week ago Monday past and she only turned six months Saturday past. They'll check with you and also check her themselves to make sure she isn't going into heat before they go ahead though. If your vet agrees I'd get it done the early side of six months. I went through heat with Holly and if you're not going to breed, it's a lot more hassle than simply keeping the pup under control for a week or so post spay.

moniechris
24th January 2007, 06:37 PM
This may seem like a silly question...but then again I have only had boys so forgive my niavity...

What can't you spay when the girls are in heat? :?

Lisa_T
25th January 2007, 01:52 AM
Dunno. I've always thought maybe increased risk of haemorrhage? Maybe it puts the system under too much of a strain hormonally? I'd like to know too, actually.

WoodHaven
25th January 2007, 02:00 AM
During a season a bitches uterus swells with blood-- when you spay -- it is an Ovario-hysterectomy- removal of uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes. You don't want that much blood loss unnecessarily.

moniechris
25th January 2007, 02:39 AM
Ohhhh. I get it ;) Makes perfect sense now. Call me stupid but I always just assumed it would be more messy. :lol: It's a good thing that I've only had boys up until now!!