• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Foster Faith was Fixed and I got to watch!

M

Mic

I had quite an adventure today. First I got up at the crack of dawn, 7:00. AM Well, since I'm not a morning person, I'm not sure exactly when dawn cracks, but I don't feel the need to arise each morn to make sure that it happens. Anyway, I got up an hour earlier than usual, fed all the beasts and loaded Faith (who I'm fostering for Sara), Abby and Cappy and drove 2 hours to the middle of nowhere to meet with the vet who technically rescued Faith (along with Denni's Haylie & Spencer, Robyn's Logan, Carol's Penelope, and a few others). Now, I consider Little Rock, Arkansas to be the middle of nowhere, so two hours away is even "more nowhere," if you get my drift.

I was warned that the vet is kinda like the grandma on "The Beverly Hillbillies," and boy is she ever! She was born, raised and educated in California, and how she wound up in Arkansas completely baffles me. I was also warned that she doesn't have the greatest bedside manner and has made more than one person cry, so I was nervous. But she must have a heart of gold because she figured out a way to convince the millers to donate these "rejects" rather put them to sleep, AND she provides all of their care, medicines, shots and surgeries completely for FREE! So she can't be that bad, right?

Fortunately, I found out that like me, this vet is a choco-holic, so I came bearing gifts. Hey, I didn't want to wind up crying, so desperate situations call for desperate measures...and I'm not above bribery...or sucking up.

I arrived 15 minutes early to the "clinic" which is really a semi-converted little house. The "staff" includes the vet, her sec/receptionist/assistant, her corgi, and her grandson....who is 4...maybe 5 years old. Anyway, I introduced myself and no one said anything...not even the kid, and I usually have a "way" with kids. Not a good sign. Then I proceeded to remove Faith from the swanky camo Celltei carrier that probably costs more than all of the "furnishing" in the waiting room...er...niche. Of course, I had to dig though all of the chewy toys and the beating-heart-mutt-dog-plush-toy-thingy to even find Faith, while everyone watched in amazement at how much stuff was in that bag. I could tell they thought I was a lunatic; and a rich lunatic to boot! I told them that I didn't buy all of the stuff, but Sara, the adopting mom, did. Hey, I'm not gonna take a hit for Sara! Sorry, girlfriend.

Things weren't going as well as I had hoped. I was feeling a bit uneasy, almost ready to cry. When I FINALLY pulled Faith out of the bag, both the vet and her assistant looked shocked and asked if this was the same puppy they sent me 2-3 weeks ago. "She's HUGE!" the exclaimed. Normally I wouldn't take that as a compliment (what girl would?), but I could tell by their faces that I'd 'done good.'

Dr. P inspected Faith and was grinning from ear to ear. She weighed her and was thrilled at all 4.5# of her. I, however, was surprised since I thought she'd gained more weight. That's when I found out the truth...Faith only weighed 1.8# when I got her. Good grief! If I'd known that I would have been scared to death and there's no way I would have fostered her. I'd be afraid I'd break her! Apparently, the girls knew this and kind of glossed over her tininess when they told me about her. Now it kind of makes sense that she was rejected, in part, due to a hernia, but she didn't have a hernia when I got her...and amazingly the hernia reappeared after a week with me. Faith must have lost weight from the time she left the pet store, was transported back to the puppy broker, back to the puppy mill, to the vet and then to me. The hernia wasn't visible when she lost weight, but it reappeared after she gained some. Anyway, since Faith more than doubled her weight at my house (it must be contagious 'cause I seem to have that same condition. Unfortunately no one is thrilled about it!), I seem to have gotten on Dr. P's good side. Thank God!

The exam went well and Faith passed with flying colors. Mid-way through it, I mentioned that Faith's new owner was getting pet insurance for her just in case she ever developed anything which required surgery or expensive meds. We locked eyes for a moment and the doc knew that I was referring to the possibility of patella issues and did NOT want anything included in Faith's records which would indicate a pre-existing condition....so she moved right along with the exam. During her initial exam 3 weeks ago, Dr. P could not find anything wrong or feel any "looseness" with Faith's knees, but said she Faith and small so young that it would be hard to make a diagnosis at that time.

About midway through her surgery, Dr. P asked if I wanted to watch. It was pretty cool, in a gross sort of way. I got to see all of her little girl organs (teeny tiny) and watched the doc repair Faith's hernia and then sew 'n glue her up. When she was done, Dr. P laid Faith on some sterile sheets and pads on the floor and called her corgi. The corgi apparently is a post-op nurse because she sat directly in front of Faith and guarded her so that no one (or animal?) could touch her. They removed the tube in her throat and she started to stir. The doc scooped her up and put her on my chest so that Faith would be in a familiar environment as she woke up.

Then they filled out all of the necessary paperwork for Faith to fly to Canada, and even consulted their sources to make sure everything was done according to the regulations. Sara had all the right information...which also pleased the doc and made me look good. Snaps for Sara!

The whole experience was pretty amazing...for me anyway. I don't think Faith is quite as thrilled as I am, although she is moving about and doing very well. I finally got to meet the vet who is responsible for creating a life-line for these puppy mill rejects...AND she didn't make me cry! Of course, the chocolate may have helped...a little!

Oh wow Mickey...what a story! I can't believe that little girl was so tiny. I too would have been scared to death to take care of her. You've done such amazing work with her!! Good for you girlfriend. And your description of the whole procedure was so visual. I could just see it all. How cool for you to experience all of that. Chocolate....always a good thing to break the ice ;)

Wow! I wish I was there like that for my boys when they came out from surgery. That would have been really neat to watch!! You crack me up Mic!!

Sara!! Your little girl is a fatty (totally kidding!!) :lol: :lol: You may actually be able to have a purse dog!! My wooly mammoths unfortunately must keep their feet on the ground.

Ohh Mickey I loved reading your story!!!! It was GREAT!

I was sitting on pins and needles all day long thinking about you guys..

Oh thanks make me look like the lunatic!! :lol:

LOL your so funny that stuff wasn't that expensive!! I got it on sale. :D Glad that Faith seems to be adapting to the carrier and the snuggle puppy. I was actually going to ask you to take that stuff along but it looks like you're one step ahead of the game!

Glad she's doing well and her weight is up. Thanks SO much for the knee thing ~ I was a bit worried about that! It sounds like you've just knocked the socks off of everybody with your care of her - Mickey you really are amazing!! I can't believe she was only 1.8 when you got her!! You done good!! :lol:

I keep holding off on the insurance because I am not sure of a name yet and that's the first thing they ask! :yikes I'll do it tomorrow - if I change her name I'll just make them change it. That's just the way it's gonna have to be. :p

You're so funny with your chocolate - bribery huh?! I can't say I've not tried the same thing before. . . icon_whistling Just ask my teachers.. :lol: :lol:

Glad you got along well with the dr!. I was sending positive thoughts your way all day today. It sounds like she is very thorough and I am so glad thay you've ben reassured that everything will be fine for travel into Canada. I've gone through all measures that I can ~ I won't be leaving that airport without her!! :)

Faith got a new "bed' (pink crate mat) that can be washed 1000 times since I hear she's a "peemore" and a new little pink harness since I don't think she'll fit in the green small just yet.

What a great experience to get to watch the spay!!! I would have loved that!

Oh jeez, 5 more days - I am estatic!!

THANKS MICKEY! *HUGZ*!!!!!

Mic, what a nicely written account of your adventure. A bit sad, a bit funny, and a big bit of wonderful that you, the "Mother Teresea of Vets", and the recovery dog/Corgi pulled together for the wee Faith. Faith, at 1.8pounds to start, is certainly living up to her name. I am very moved by this little girl and her rescue/recovery.

Thank you.
Dorothy

No joke, every time I think about little Faith, I start singing George Michael in my head!!! Ok, I'll admit it...I sing it out loud and really poorly!!! :lol: I am watching the video on youtube and dancing in my seat!

Mic, you must have done a fabulous job with Faith!

Congrats to all concerned!! :flwr: :flwr:

Great job and great story! Somebody is even more "wordy" than I am!!

I loved helping out in surgery; the worst part of it for me was always that first cut. I'm glad you got to watch - education is always a good thing.

The bit with the Corgi is too funny. I've seen vets use heating pads, 2 liter Coke bottles filled with hot water, towels hot from the dryer, but NEVER have I seen them put a dog with an animal just out of surgery to keep it warm. That's one well-trained Corgi.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing that great story!!! Another step along the way of Faith's journey. I think we all feel that we know her so well. I think that someone must have had "Faith" in you Mic :D Good job well done!!!! :flwr:

i loved that story i can't wait to see faith in her new pink harness. (yep can't tget the george micheal song out of my head now)

Thank you for your wonderful post. That old granny vet sounds like a saint to me. You are so wise to have brought chocolate, not only did it appeal to her sweet tooth, but showed your appreciation without having to use words she'd probably think were too mushy. That's a beautiful story. Is it normal that more often than not I cry reading posts like this? lol Tucker had an umbilical hernia, and before it was operated on it regularly popped out and back in again. You can rub them to make them pop back in.

Thank you again for that account of your day. You're very special Mickey.
Sara good luck with Faith. I can't wait to see pictures.

Maybe the tears are hormones, Joanne! :D

Just teasing; it's a very sweet story and I haven't followed Faith the way the rest of you have.

I'm thinking hormones too. You cannot believe how much I tear up, usually over things I find, tragic, touching, or of course sad. Less so in real life. I cry over things in the news, the war in Iraq, although that is sure real life enough. I cry when I catch a story on the news about an injured football player who's team kept up his spirits or Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet. Last week I cried my head off watching a profile of Maya Angelou. Little Elizabeth was here and I had to explain they were good tears, that Maya was an angel or something along those lines.

Back