PDA

View Full Version : Yelping at hind quarters.

Lindsay
25th January 2007, 03:54 PM
:( :( :( Well Miss Tilly is giving us some worries. She is almost 14 weeks and we have noticed a very troublesome behaviour she does. She screams in pain for a second or two and acts like something is wrong with her back legs or tail. She gropes at them when she makes this noise. We were hoping it a was a fluke (we first noticed this happening about a week to a week and a half ago) but she does it probably once or twice a day that we see. I have felt her all over and put pressure every where and she does not react like that hurts her. It seems to be a shooting pain. I am completely clueless to what this could be.

Josh has an appointment to take her in on Saturday for our vet to check her out. Anyone with experience with this? I would like a little knowledge before he takes her in. :(

Natalie
25th January 2007, 03:55 PM
sorry can't be of any help hope the others have more advice

Zippy
25th January 2007, 04:28 PM
I can't help either but I hope it goes away soon!

Poor baby! :flwr: :flwr:

Moviedust
25th January 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm glad you're getting her in to the vet! It could be any number of things, and the vet will know what it looks like. I've seen similar signs with dogs who need their anal glands expressed, so hopefully it's just a quick fix. :xfngr:

estertje
25th January 2007, 08:00 PM
:shock:
I have no idea! hope it's nothing bad!! Keep us posted!!

My Wesley
25th January 2007, 08:01 PM
Wesley did the exact same thing and it was his anal glands. They were very full and had to be expressed. I would get that done and try adding more fiber to her diet.

At least that worked for us. But he would literally scream in pain, but that's what it was. Poor babies are so sensitive about everything.

Shay
25th January 2007, 09:19 PM
Wesley did the exact same thing and it was his anal glands. They were very full and had to be expressed. I would get that done and try adding more fiber to her diet.

At least that worked for us. But he would literally scream in pain, but that's what it was. Poor babies are so sensitive about everything.

Lily did that last week too and was scooting a lot. Took her to the Vet Tuesday and her glands needed expressing again. This is the second time since we got her in October. Seems like a lot to me , but the Vet said some dogs just have the problem. Lily's poops are always really firm and I thought that's what keeps them clear. What do you give Wesley for fiber? I need to do this too.

Moviedust
25th January 2007, 09:23 PM
Try canned pumpkin, Shay. (Get the kind without added spices) A spoonful mixed in with kibble is a great way to make mealtimes special.

My Wesley
25th January 2007, 09:24 PM
My vet suggested Wheaties I think. We didn't try that yet.

I just read somewhere else that you should use plain shredded wheat cereal.

Karlin
25th January 2007, 09:46 PM
Anal glands are one thing to have checked. Also be sure you have printed out the information on SM for your vet. At this ge, it is far more likely to be something else but your vet needs to know about this condition in cavaliers and if the behaviour continues s/he should start eliminating other possibilities but also consider SM. This is just being cautious but vets are very unfamiliar with this condition and need the information you can print out from this page:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/symptoms.html

Yelping for no reason and snapping at hindquarrters is a possible symptom but *eliminate all other options first* from anal glands to back problems to pests like fleas or rabbit mites.

Lindsay
25th January 2007, 09:48 PM
Here's hoping its the anal glands. What a nightmare to have a 14 week old with SM (that I gave as a gift, no less). :( :( :(

Shay
25th January 2007, 09:54 PM
Try canned pumpkin, Shay. (Get the kind without added spices) A spoonful mixed in with kibble is a great way to make mealtimes special.

Thanks Cindy and Wesley!

Cindy....Does the pumpkin make their poop firmer?

Barbara Nixon
25th January 2007, 10:44 PM
Another option for feeding fibre is a spoonful of bran, sprinkled on food. It needs to be rough bran, used for horses or from a health store, rather than the processed cereal type. This also has the advantage of helping with weight control, as it makes the dog feel full, so he/she doesn't want so much food.

Laura&Lia
25th January 2007, 11:47 PM
Sorry to hear that!

I hope little Tilly feel well soon!! :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Hugs to all you!

Cathy T
26th January 2007, 12:24 AM
My guys get a spoonful of pumpkin with dinner and...knock on wood...we haven't had any anal gland or poop problems in at least a year.

My Wesley
26th January 2007, 12:45 AM
Ok, so where in the world do I buy pumpkin? Is it canned in a food aisle or something? I think I'd rather try that.

Moviedust
26th January 2007, 12:47 AM
Oh yeah. Canned pumpkin is generally in the baking isle in our store, near the pie fillings. Just be sure to get the pure pumpkin without the added spices.

cavalicious
26th January 2007, 07:33 AM
Ollie is doing the same thing right now! I'm taking to my vet about it tomorrow and I too, am hoping its the glands! :xfngr:

Cathy Moon
26th January 2007, 05:27 PM
Lindsay,
I have seen India do that when she was younger. Things she has yelped and looked toward her hindquarters about are: anal glands, bladder infection, knee injury

I hope it is something easily fixed for you and Josh! :flwr:

KimNIndy
26th January 2007, 10:51 PM
Sorry to hear about Tilly! Indy went through something that sounds like this and I know it's frightening.

Indy never screamed or yelped loudly, but when he was a younger pup (can't remember when but it seems like it was close to Tilly's age) he would often quickly sort of snap back at his hips and give little short yelps. He did it when he was walking, but I noticed it most often when he stood on his back legs. For example if he was on the floor with his front legs on the bed, he might suddenly whip around and do the little yelp and snap at the hips.

We mentioned this on a couple of visits to the vet. They examined him and found nothing wrong and did not seem too concerned by it. Our vets love Indy to bits and have been very good so I trusted them. He's a year old this week and I only see him do it on rare occasions.

I haven't read others responses yet so I'm hoping they don't have terrible news to the contrary, but in our experience things were ok..... please do get tilly checked out though to be on the safe side.

KimNIndy
26th January 2007, 10:54 PM
Aha! yes, actually he has had to get his anal glands expressed and it was around that time as well (sorry for the vagueness, hubby usually has vet duty as he works nights and has some days free).

we put him onto a good dry food from the vets and he has firm poohs and no further issues so sounds like anal glands are a popular reason for this.

good luck and we're hoping for the best!

k

Lindsay
27th January 2007, 05:00 PM
All is well. :) The vet checked her glands and they were fine. She had a few flea bites and she was put on some anitbiotics to help the little sores on her skin. Josh said that she got her next round of shots today and she cried like a little baby until they gave her back to him. Men and their little girls :roll: Thank you all for all your comments :)

KimNIndy
27th January 2007, 10:13 PM
glad to hear that everything is okay!!! :D

poor little thing----they break your heart with their crying when they get injections. she'll be feeling better before you know it!

k

Crittercall
28th January 2007, 06:18 AM
The vet nurse in me said fleas first of all - not glad to know that you have a flea but glad to know my mind was sharp for a change! I can remember Wallis doing that - screaming bloody murder because of a flea bite. Fortunately she doesn't have the allergy problems with the fleas that Tibby does. Fleas like lighter colored dogs best, so she usually gets more on her, Sasha next and Tibby last.

We have an appt on Wednesday to have the growth in Wallis's anal gland checked - this is with a different vet. I wish I'd known of the pumpkin years ago because she has always had issues back there. I just got a "recipe" for treats that are dehydrated sweet potato that I may try. Better than rawhide!!

In case the vet didn't tell Josh, a flea spends 98% of its time in the environment and not on the dog. So you may need to consider treating other dogs and the house. It's cold there so they've all found rides into the warm house!

Lindsay
28th January 2007, 02:42 PM
I have had a dog in my house 75% of my life I would say, and I have NEVER had to treat for fleas after November. This has been the weirdest winter. I am enjoying the mild weather, but it is costing me in flea meds! :lol: :roll: Oh well! Is it summer yet? ;)

Shay
29th January 2007, 03:11 PM
Lindsay....I am so glad it was nothing serious. I certainly know how we can stress over these little babies.

Lindsay
29th January 2007, 05:48 PM
I know. Its been a big relief. She hasn't made a peep in 2 days now, so hopefully we have it under control. It gets scary when they are babies, and its not much better when they are full grown! :lol: :sl*p:

Crittercall
29th January 2007, 06:35 PM
Do you have a flea comb? That's a nice, inexpensive investment. Then you can just comb through the hair (especially on the rear and arm pits) and catch the fleas in the comb. It's best to have a bowl of water with some dishwashing detergent (like Dawn) to clean the comb off in to. The soap holds the fleas down and drowns the little suckers! And you aren't putting chemicals on your dog if that's something that bothers you.

Lindsay
30th January 2007, 12:02 AM
I had one but Spencer chewed it up :roll: A trip to WalMart is in order.

judy
2nd February 2007, 07:16 AM
Someone on this board, can't remember who, said the more you have the anal glands expressed, the more often the dog needs it done. I've had it done only once on Zack, he was about 9 months old. Up to that point, he had occasional scooting. After he had the anal glands expressed, he had way more scooting than before, and it went on for maybe three or four weeks, then it returned to normal, just occasional scooting. My other dogs (non cavaliers) also scooted now and then and i never heard of anal gland expression back in those days. I'm sure it needs to be done in many dogs, but i don't think it needed to be done in Zack, the vet said following the procedure that there wasn't a lot in there. I was sorry i did it, it was the vet's idea, not mine. She asked if he was scooting and i hesitantly said yes, not sure that it was a problem. I always regretted that i didn't say no that time. i do often say no to things vets want to do.

when zack was about 4 months old, he was in the backyard and he suddenly sat down and started scratching his neck and shrieking continuously in pain. He continued to shriek and got up and ran inside, and then sat down and scratched some more, still shrieking, really loud, it was the most awful thing. It's never happened again, thank goodness, but i really feel for anyone who hears and sees their dog do this.