PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: Gorgeous 1 yr old Tricolor, Pearce

My Wesley
26th January 2007, 03:38 PM
I found this on Petfinder.

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7747598

Notes: Pearce was turned in by a local breeder because he is too big for the breed standards. He is just over 1 yr old and weighs about 25 pounds. He is current on dhlpp and rabies vaccinations until April of this yr.

This shelter puts certain dogs to sleep if their capacity is too full.

"We are located on rt 33 near the junction of rt 1 which is close to the IN border. We are an hour from Effingham, IL; two hours from Champaign, IL; about five hours from Chicago, IL; an hour from Terre Haute, IN and about two and a half hours from Indianapolis, IN."

I hope someone can help him out! :(

moniechris
26th January 2007, 07:43 PM
Can you send that to a local rescue? I would look up either Lucky Star or CKCS. Someone needs to get him out!!

Cathy T
26th January 2007, 09:13 PM
From another source:

Cavalier rescue did call them and they were told that the person who has him would not have any problem placing him. They also said they would not release him without the proper paperwork and were waiting on that.

Unfortunately.....it is rare that someone on petfinder will release a Cavalier to rescue. Don't know all of the reasons...but think a big part of it is the money. The adoption fees on Cavaliers are pretty significant. Just my personal opinion. I'm often rebuffed and told to basically mind my own business when I call and ask another group or individual if they will consider releasing to rescue. That's why I was so amazed and incredibly grateful to the woman that allowed me to place Jitterbug for her. One of her comments to me was that she knew I know Cavaliers and would be able to properly screen for an appropriate home. I knew what they needed. I was so thankful she was so open.

misty
26th January 2007, 09:42 PM
We have the same problems over here. Many shelters/pounds won't release dogs to rescues. :(

Lisa_T
26th January 2007, 10:08 PM
Why?! At least rescues will vet properly, and in the case of breed rescues, make sure the new owners know what they're taking on in terms of temperament, health issues etc. I'd have thought pounds would jump at it!!

Nancy
26th January 2007, 11:22 PM
If he were a lab/shepherd mix, they would jump at the offer to get them into a rescue. They will place that boy in hours if not days. The last time we had one in a shelter here, he was gone before I got there. It's not necessarily the money, they usually charge something nominal, I think they want to be able to offer desirable breeds in addition to the hard to place, to get people in there.

Cathy T
26th January 2007, 11:34 PM
Beg to differ Nancy on the money part ;) . It's not unsual to ask $600 in adoption fees for a Cavalier whereas a mixed breed will bring in $50 max. A Cavalier is easy to adopt out...there are over 15,000 lab mixes on petfinder right now compared to 66 Cavaliers.

But I do agree with you about wanting to get people in with this breed.

I get a lot of flack from general rescues because of my "elitist" attitude in taking in Cavaliers. I've heard "if you care so much about Cavaliers why don't you care so much for all of the other dogs out there?" Well....Cavaliers are where my heart it.

Nancy
26th January 2007, 11:40 PM
Cathy, this is a humane society, that is what I was referring to, not the private rescues.

Cathy T
27th January 2007, 12:57 AM
Cathy, this is a humane society, that is what I was referring to, not the private rescues.

Gotcha. Yes, that makes sense.

My Wesley
27th January 2007, 04:02 AM
There is the $20 microchipping fee for all animals. The adoption fee for unaltered dogs is the cost of the spay or neuter which runs between $65 to $140 depending on the weight of the dog at the time of surgery. There is also the $20 adoption fee to the shelter. All animals will be spayed or neutered prior to adoption.

I'd be willing to pitch in costs to get him out of there and get him to a rescue. Is that what it would take?? He's so precious I want him to go to someone good! I'd take him but Wesley is just 16 weeks and DH would kill me. He wants to wait a little longer for another doggy.

arasara
27th January 2007, 01:17 PM
My Wesley:

Could you take him for a minute just to "get him out of there" until you can hand him over to a reputable rescue? :flwr: :flwr:

Karlin
27th January 2007, 03:09 PM
There are a lot of reasons pounds and shelters do not like to work with rescue. Amongst them is they feel the breed rescues cherry pick their easiest to place dogs and don;t help on the breeds they are overstocked with. Also that a breed rescue will then get a large fee for placing the dog while the shelter will just charge the routine charge -- so they are concerend some breed rescues or smaller rescues only want the dogs they can make money off. Also -- by handing over the dog with no fee to a rescue, they do not recuperate the costs they have put into boarding the dog etc or (on the grimmer side) that they get for every dog pts (many pounds get a payment towards each dog they pts as there are obviously costs involved in that).

In my experience what is really needed is for local breed or general rescues to build relationships with the local shelters and pounds. In some cases this means months or even years of work. Here in Ireland, Tara was the very first person to work, along with Lisa, in opening up access to the main Dublin pound at Ashton. This took a LONG LONG time of getting the staff there to understand she wanted to help. Initially they charged rescue for taking out dogs -- eventually that was waived, but many pounds continue to charge rescue, which is an ongoing issue for many cash-strapped rescues (for a litter of puppies they get charged €25 PER PUPPY for example -- you can see how that depletes rescue funds).

I guess with shelters you need to imagine the reverse -- you have lots of hard to place dogs and one really cute puppy and every time you have a cute puppy someone wants to 'help' you by taking it and leaving all the others behind. That can make people feel resentful even though from our perspective, we are trying to help. I'd say as soon as there are more cavaliers than can find homes, shelters and pounds will turn them gladly over to rescue.

For us in Ireland, we have to leave the dog in the pound for its mnadatory 5 days to be recliamed, If no one also books the dog (eg wants to home it) during that time, then they give it to rescue. If someone wants to home it, they usually don't give it to us (though some wardens will turn over surrenders right away as techinally they can be pts immediately or generally after 24 hours so have a lot chance of being rehomed. They are always our priority dogs to get out).

Sydney
27th January 2007, 10:21 PM
Ruby and Sydney here,

"Pearce was turned in by a local breeder because he is too big for the breed standards. He is just over 1 yr old and weighs about 25 pounds."

This makes us furious. A wonderful little Cavalier pushed out for something as simple as being too "large". This is not a true cavalier breeder. No reputable Cavalier breeder would turn such a beautiful dog in to a place like this. Today is Ruby's birthday so maybe this is an omen. I'll make sure Mom and Dad send an email tonight. Dad and Mom love Cavaliers and would be more than happy to go to Indiana to help Pearce. I'll let you know what they say and how things turn out.

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

Cathy T
28th January 2007, 01:41 AM
We're with you Ruby and Sydney!! I can't imagine that this is a true Cavalier breeder.

Correct me if I'm wrong you wonderful breeders out there...but I'm gonna bet if you had one that was "too big" you wouldn't turn it into a shelter but instead would find it a loving home. Am I right?

merlinsmum
28th January 2007, 06:30 PM
Ruby and Sydney

Keep us up to date with what Mom & dad are up to - hopefully they will be able to help even if its just short term

Merls and Oaks

Sydney
28th January 2007, 06:57 PM
Ruby here,

I left the computer on with the PetFinder web site up. Dad saw it and sent an email. He got an application back today and he is filling it in and sending it back. Wish us luck. We'll help Pearce however we can.

Cathy T
28th January 2007, 07:51 PM
Excellent job guys! Keep us posted.

Maxxs_Mummy
28th January 2007, 11:20 PM
Well done Ruby - let us know if you are going to get a new 'brother' :thmbsup: :flwr:

My Wesley
29th January 2007, 02:22 AM
YAY! I'd love to hear how it goes. If it falls through, I will try as well, as I'm just 5 hours from there. And then I could place him with actual rescue personnel. That just was awful to me that they were getting rid of him due to his weight. :(

Glad to hear someone else can possibly help!

My Wesley
29th January 2007, 02:27 AM
I just looked at Pearce again on Petfinder and it now says PENDING! I hope this is for you Ruby & Sydney!

Zippy
29th January 2007, 02:54 AM
It said pending a couple of days ago ....... unfortunately. :(

I hope the pup goes to join Ruby and Sydney. :flwr: :flwr:

Sydney
29th January 2007, 01:39 PM
Ruby and Sydney here,

Dad sent the application off this morning so keep your fingers crossed. Sydney and I were shocked that a site like this exists and how how many other Cavaliers were listed on the PetFinder web page. There are several adorable puppies and several older dogs. Sydney and I didn't think that Cavaliers could ever go homeless and it broke our hearts to see that some humans don't want us despite the love we give them. I'll let you know if Mom and Dad are successful with Pearce. At least we can try to save one.

arasara
29th January 2007, 02:27 PM
Ruby and Sydney -

Fingers crossed for you two!! I am so glad that you're trying - I hope everything turns out well for you. What a wonderful thing that you guys are willing to share your space with Pearce - I am sure he will appreciate that a lot! :flwr:

Sydney
29th January 2007, 02:27 PM
Ruby here,

An update. Dad has been told that the shelter has a potential loving family in the local area that is willing to adopt Pearce. Also, the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club rescue coordinator for the Midwest is also in touch with the shelter and has passed them their rescue application. In the future, the CKCSC rescue group will be notified when and if another Cavalier comes into the shelter. Mom and Dad's application is still pending so if the potential family adoption falls through we are still in the running for a brother. I'll keep everyone up to date on developments.

Cathy T
29th January 2007, 04:02 PM
Excellent news..that he has a potential home, that rescue is involved and will be involved in the future! That's exactly what we want.

Joanne M
30th January 2007, 10:44 AM
I had no idea that Humane Societies and Cavalier Rescue Groups, or any rescue group for that matter didn't always work hand in hand. It's very surprising to me. But I understand it better after your explanation Karlin.

carla_clemartill
10th February 2007, 07:43 PM
Excellent news..that he has a potential home, that rescue is involved and will be involved in the future! That's exactly what we want.

Have been reading through all the posts, how sad that the agencies involved find it so difficult to work together for the best interests of the dogs. Sounds like a step forward in the right direction at the moment though.. well done all.. keep up the good work.

misty
11th February 2007, 10:18 AM

Have been reading through all the posts, how sad that the agencies involved find it so difficult to work together for the best interests of the dogs. Sounds like a step forward in the right direction at the moment though.. well done all.. keep up the good work.

It is very sad that the different organisations can't work better together and it was something that shocked me when I got involved in rescue work myself.

It's not always like that though - look at all the miracles that happen through Karlin and members of Cavalier Talk's hard work all over the world.

I'm just off to a local kennels to collect a springer to take into spaniel rescue, so it can work :).

laurenlyn1
11th February 2007, 04:31 PM
It now says that he has been adopted. I hope to a very loving home.

it does make me sick that the breeder would do that to her own dog. she must not be doing something right in her breeding if she had a cav that large. very sad, but he has a home now.

Sydney
12th February 2007, 06:23 PM
Ruby and Sydney here,

Although we knew a local family was interested we thought maybe we might get Pearce until now. Its a good thing the local family worked out although we were rooting for Mom and Dad's application to win out. We really wanted a brother. Now that he's been adopted, we wish Pearce the absolute best of luck and hope he has a good long life with his new loving family. Ruby and I will keep browsing this topic and make sure Mom and Dad know about any other Cavaliers that might need either adopting or a helping foster home.