PDA

View Full Version : Put your hands together for Kosmo!!!

arasara
27th January 2007, 10:12 PM
Introducing Kosmo:

The newly certified THERAPY DOG!!!

:w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**:

I am SO proud of my little boy!! He passed his test(s) with flying colors!! They put him through 12 tests. He was the best behaved doggy as well as the youngest of all of them! :)

The funniest part of the test was when a senior who was pretending to be an alzheimers patient was moaning and flailing around her arms and she ended up whacking him in the side and he went belly up so she could scratch his tummy! :lol: :lol: :lol: He's no dummy that's for sure! ;) ;)

He's going to make the greatest big brother ever and a wonderful role model.. :)

Congratulations Kosmo!!!

:mexwav: :w*w: :jmp2:

Roxanne
27th January 2007, 10:18 PM
YAY !!!!! CONGRATULATIONS KOSMO !!!! WTG !!

Joanne M
27th January 2007, 10:28 PM
Congratulations Kosmo and Sara. Wow, i'm impressed. I think therapy dogs are amazing. I've seen several television programs on them. I have a niece with Crohn's disease. When she was diagnosed she was in the hospital for 12 days, it was a very depressing time for her and she was only 11 at the time. Anyway, one day while I was visiting her we heard the clicking sound of nails, looked to see what it was and in walked a therapy dog. I think it was a standard poodle, at least that is what it looked like to me. It walked directly to Rosa in her hospital bed, and laid his head in her lap. I'm tearing up thinking about it. This dog was so gentle. We were at the Children's Floating Hospital in Boston. He stayed about 5 minutes and then went on his way to visit the next patient.

KimNIndy
27th January 2007, 10:41 PM
Congratulations Kosmo and Sara!!!1 :jump: :thmbsup:

such a young therapy dog! you two must have worked so hard. he'll be such a comfort and a fantastic therapy dog---just looking at your avatar makes me smile!

keep us updated on kosmo's work!

k

Mary
27th January 2007, 10:53 PM
Woohoo! Way to go Kosmo and Sara. You will be bringing lots of smiles to many faces!!!!!!!

coconut
27th January 2007, 10:58 PM
go Kosmo CONGRATS :flwr:

Andrea&Diva´s mom
27th January 2007, 11:03 PM
:w*w: that´s amazing !!

CONGRATS KOSMO :rah:

you will make soo good brother :D

:jmp2: :jmp2: :jmp2:

matties mum
27th January 2007, 11:09 PM
:jump: b*n*n* :jmp: Welldone Kosmo----Aileen and the gang( Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

Gracie's Mommy
27th January 2007, 11:13 PM
WTG Kosmo!!! :mexwav:

So impressive for such a young'un! :lol:

Sara, I'm sure you're a very proud mama....what an exciting week you're going to have! :flwr:

*Pauline*
27th January 2007, 11:47 PM
This is great news. Well done both of you cl*p What kind of tests did you have to do?

enchantingdragon
27th January 2007, 11:48 PM
:pi*no: Oh wow congrats!!

misty
27th January 2007, 11:54 PM
Kosmo, you're amazing :D :D

Well done you and your momma for all your hard work.

arasara
27th January 2007, 11:57 PM
The tests weren't too hard they were just more looking into temperment testing. There was one where there was a lady (doctor) in a white coat and she comes to say hi to you and shake your hand and the dog cant jump on her or be scared of her. You have to tell your dog to "stand" and she makes a full circle around you and then comes back and examines each of their paws

There was another "loose leash walk" thing where you have to halt twice and make them sit down when you halt..

Another one was walking in between people with wheelchares, carts, and walkers to make sure your dog respects others and the traffic..

And there was one with a LOUD lady in a wheelchair "OHH LOOK AT THAT DOG!!" screaming and when she's talking to the dog another lady ran by and then another one dropped a bag full of something metal and LOUD! She dropped it while the wheelchair lady was trying to feed the dog a treat to intentionally try to scare the dog and make sure that when they get scared they don't get violent.

Then one to see how your dog reacts to other dogs but you can't say ANYTHING to your dog during it..

Basically we did a lot of temprment testing.

There were a few others but those are the ones I remember right now.. :D

duncans_ma
27th January 2007, 11:58 PM
cl*p cl*p cl*p cl*p cl*p cl*p

Congratulations Kos!!! You are too cool for words!!

Barrster
28th January 2007, 12:06 AM
Woohoo Kozmo!!!!

Im not surprised about how well manner and behaved he was.

Sara spends alot of time with him.

Congrats to you both.

P.S.
Next week you get to start on Faith =)

Joanne M
28th January 2007, 12:17 AM
Kosmo is quite a well trained dog, you should be very proud of yourself sara. Congratulations to you both. :flwr:

Gracie's Mommy
28th January 2007, 12:34 AM
Sara, what's your "training regimen" like for Kosmo? How many obedience classes have you taken with him and how long do you work each day?

I'd like to do the therapy dog certification with Gracie at some point...just curious what we need to do to prepare.

molly
28th January 2007, 12:50 AM
Way to go Sara and Kosmo! Good job. Kosmo wil be a great therapy dog.

Charleen
28th January 2007, 01:25 AM
Congratulations to both of you. You both worked hard to past those tests. Well done.
:w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**:
:rah: :rah: :rah: :rah:
:thmbsup: :thmbsup: :thmbsup:
cl*p cl*p cl*p

arasara
28th January 2007, 01:36 AM
Sara, what's your "training regimen" like for Kosmo? How many obedience classes have you taken with him and how long do you work each day?

I'd like to do the therapy dog certification with Gracie at some point...just curious what we need to do to prepare.

To be honest with you the test here really wasn't that hard at all. I worked a lot harder than most people it seems but I am confident in my dog and I'm really glad for that. Some people have dogs that passed but they're going to have to be watched like HAWKS. There were 2 dogs that were trying to constantly jump up on people and a few more that were really hard for the handlers to control.

There was even a few dogs in there that had no formal training at all, but, again, they are going to be the ones that the handlers are going to have to watch closely.

For me and Kosmo, I put him in classes as soon as I could. That was around 4 months. We go on 2 walks sometimes 3 EVERY day with no failure and I still don't let him "slip up" on walks. Our walk time is our "work time." When we're out there I'll stop with him every few minutes and make him sit, speak, lay down, play dead, heel etc.

When we're learning new things I spend about an hour a night with him. We'll watch TV or something and during the commercials I'll just work with him.

I LOVE training him because it makes him tired really quick.. :D In addition to all of that though I will work with him when we are playing.. for instance I'll take the ball and I'll say "do you want it?" "SPEAK!" So he has to speak before I'll throw it.. and the next time "Do you want it?" "WAVE to me!" and we'll go through a whole bunch of stuff.

He's not too good with dead but we're still working on it. :) I think you jus tneed to be on top of things and work with your pup all the time! :flwr: :flwr:

molly
28th January 2007, 01:49 AM
Gracie's Mommy

Here's some links to therapy groups and each of them have a section describing the test required for that group. They are all pretty similiar.

1. TDI (Therapy Dogs International) one of the biggest and they also have a therapy dog children's reading program:: http://www.tdi-dog.org/
The TDI test: http://www.tdi-dog.org/tditesting.html

2. Bright and Beautiful Therapy Dogs: http://www.pet-therapist.com/

3. The Delta Society: http://www.deltasociety.org/home.htm

arasara
28th January 2007, 01:53 AM
thanks Molly ~

I also forgot to add that if you're planning in visiting children there's a whole different criteria and another additional test that they have to go through. I don't know anything about that one yet! :flwr:

Mic
28th January 2007, 02:30 AM
:flwr: Congrats! :flwr:

Forest
28th January 2007, 06:09 AM
Congratulations Kosmo and Sara!!! Great stuff!!!! :D
Julie and the girls

debjen
28th January 2007, 06:16 AM
congrats to you both

Claire L
28th January 2007, 12:33 PM
:hug: Congratulations Kosmo :flwr: Congratulations Sara :hug:
:mexwav: You'll have to have a party for him now!! :pi*no: :jmp2: :*nana:

Maxxs_Mummy
28th January 2007, 02:17 PM
:w**h**: Way to go {{{{{{{{Sara and Kos}}}}}}}} :w**h**:

Congrats to you both. Looks like all the hard work's paying off now Sara xxxxx

Lindsay
28th January 2007, 02:24 PM
Sara that is fantastic! Congrats to you and especially Kosmo!!! :w**h**:

merlinsmum
28th January 2007, 03:23 PM
Way to go Kosmo! What a wonderful role model little Faith will have :D

Dottie
28th January 2007, 03:51 PM
Congratulations! You must surely be so proud of Kosmo! He will make such a positive impact on so many needy people!!! :flwr:

Natalie
28th January 2007, 04:38 PM
Congrats to komso and to you sara i am sure he's going to brighten up people's day when he visits hosptials.

rory
28th January 2007, 04:45 PM
Congratulations!! That is fabulous!!! :D :D :D

I would love to get Shiloh (maybe Rory, but he isn't well trained enough) into that. She would be fantastic, considering she was raised to be a service dog.
I just have NO time!! :(

Zippy
28th January 2007, 04:52 PM
Congratulations Kosmo :flwr: :flwr:

It's very rewarding work, you'll love it, Sara, when you see folks eyes light up. :)

moniechris
28th January 2007, 05:45 PM
Wow Sara!!! What an exciting month this has been for you!!! Does he get to wear the neat little vests now? That is so wonderful!!!

Coco's mom
28th January 2007, 06:04 PM
:mexwav: Congratulations Kosmo and Sara! :D :D
That's amazing!
I knew you would pass the exam- you guys are such hard workers.
way to go!
:wggle:

Vickie
28th January 2007, 07:56 PM
:rah: :rah: :rah: :rah:

Yey!!!! Well done Kosmo and Sara what a fantastic achievement :mexwav:

selina
28th January 2007, 11:25 PM
Thats fantastic Sarah and good on ya Cosmo. I am still trying to find info on Therapy dogs in Australia. Have been looking for months now and havent found anything.

judy
29th January 2007, 04:35 AM
sara, congratulations to you and kosmo. You say the tests weren't hard, but what you describe sounds really hard for a dog who isn't well trained and of sweet temperment. A dog can't pass tests like that without some good work with his mom. that was funny, when the lady hit him in the side and he laid belly up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

LauraD
29th January 2007, 06:46 PM
OMG Congratulations Sara and Kosmo!!! :jmp2: Sara you have done an amazing job with him, you are a wonderful trainer. :thmbsup: Kosmo will be a wonderful therapy dog. You are both a great example of what hard work and dedication can do. Great job! cl*p
I'll use you as an inspiration for me, I have so very far to go with Riley. But someday I would like for him to pass the therapy dog test.

Jackie
29th January 2007, 07:25 PM
Congratulations Kosmo and Sara. What a wonderful accomplishment. I'm sure Kosmo will warm many hearts as he does his TD visits. :l*v:

PS: We had the crazy lady too. She was a little freaky to me but Candle didn't seem to mind. After the test was over the lady wanted to visit more with Candle. I told her it depended on who she was now...the crazy lady or the trainer :shock: