• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Put your hands together for Kosmo!!!

arasara

Introducing Kosmo:

The newly certified THERAPY DOG!!!

:w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**:

I am SO proud of my little boy!! He passed his test(s) with flying colors!! They put him through 12 tests. He was the best behaved doggy as well as the youngest of all of them! :)

The funniest part of the test was when a senior who was pretending to be an alzheimers patient was moaning and flailing around her arms and she ended up whacking him in the side and he went belly up so she could scratch his tummy! :lol: :lol: :lol: He's no dummy that's for sure! ;) ;)

He's going to make the greatest big brother ever and a wonderful role model.. :)

Congratulations Kosmo!!!

:mexwav: :w*w: :jmp2:

Congratulations Kosmo and Sara. Wow, i'm impressed. I think therapy dogs are amazing. I've seen several television programs on them. I have a niece with Crohn's disease. When she was diagnosed she was in the hospital for 12 days, it was a very depressing time for her and she was only 11 at the time. Anyway, one day while I was visiting her we heard the clicking sound of nails, looked to see what it was and in walked a therapy dog. I think it was a standard poodle, at least that is what it looked like to me. It walked directly to Rosa in her hospital bed, and laid his head in her lap. I'm tearing up thinking about it. This dog was so gentle. We were at the Children's Floating Hospital in Boston. He stayed about 5 minutes and then went on his way to visit the next patient.

Congratulations Kosmo and Sara!!!1 :jump: (y)

such a young therapy dog! you two must have worked so hard. he'll be such a comfort and a fantastic therapy dog---just looking at your avatar makes me smile!

keep us updated on kosmo's work!

k

Woohoo! Way to go Kosmo and Sara. You will be bringing lots of smiles to many faces!!!!!!!

WTG Kosmo!!! :mexwav:

So impressive for such a young'un! :lol:

Sara, I'm sure you're a very proud mama....what an exciting week you're going to have! :flwr:

The tests weren't too hard they were just more looking into temperment testing. There was one where there was a lady (doctor) in a white coat and she comes to say hi to you and shake your hand and the dog cant jump on her or be scared of her. You have to tell your dog to "stand" and she makes a full circle around you and then comes back and examines each of their paws

There was another "loose leash walk" thing where you have to halt twice and make them sit down when you halt..

Another one was walking in between people with wheelchares, carts, and walkers to make sure your dog respects others and the traffic..

And there was one with a LOUD lady in a wheelchair "OHH LOOK AT THAT DOG!!" screaming and when she's talking to the dog another lady ran by and then another one dropped a bag full of something metal and LOUD! She dropped it while the wheelchair lady was trying to feed the dog a treat to intentionally try to scare the dog and make sure that when they get scared they don't get violent.

Then one to see how your dog reacts to other dogs but you can't say ANYTHING to your dog during it..

Basically we did a lot of temprment testing.

There were a few others but those are the ones I remember right now.. :D

Woohoo Kozmo!!!!

Im not surprised about how well manner and behaved he was.

Sara spends alot of time with him.

Congrats to you both.

P.S.
Next week you get to start on Faith =)

Kosmo is quite a well trained dog, you should be very proud of yourself sara. Congratulations to you both. :flwr:

Sara, what's your "training regimen" like for Kosmo? How many obedience classes have you taken with him and how long do you work each day?

I'd like to do the therapy dog certification with Gracie at some point...just curious what we need to do to prepare.

Congratulations to both of you. You both worked hard to past those tests. Well done.
:w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**:
:rah: :rah: :rah: :rah:
(y) (y) (y)
cl*p cl*p cl*p

Sara, what's your "training regimen" like for Kosmo? How many obedience classes have you taken with him and how long do you work each day?

I'd like to do the therapy dog certification with Gracie at some point...just curious what we need to do to prepare.

To be honest with you the test here really wasn't that hard at all. I worked a lot harder than most people it seems but I am confident in my dog and I'm really glad for that. Some people have dogs that passed but they're going to have to be watched like HAWKS. There were 2 dogs that were trying to constantly jump up on people and a few more that were really hard for the handlers to control.

There was even a few dogs in there that had no formal training at all, but, again, they are going to be the ones that the handlers are going to have to watch closely.

For me and Kosmo, I put him in classes as soon as I could. That was around 4 months. We go on 2 walks sometimes 3 EVERY day with no failure and I still don't let him "slip up" on walks. Our walk time is our "work time." When we're out there I'll stop with him every few minutes and make him sit, speak, lay down, play dead, heel etc.

When we're learning new things I spend about an hour a night with him. We'll watch TV or something and during the commercials I'll just work with him.

I LOVE training him because it makes him tired really quick.. :D In addition to all of that though I will work with him when we are playing.. for instance I'll take the ball and I'll say "do you want it?" "SPEAK!" So he has to speak before I'll throw it.. and the next time "Do you want it?" "WAVE to me!" and we'll go through a whole bunch of stuff.

He's not too good with dead but we're still working on it. :) I think you jus tneed to be on top of things and work with your pup all the time! :flwr: :flwr:

Back