• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

My Puppy Is Being Stalked

Kodee

We noticed 2 huge hawks guarding out backyard. Obviously Kodee isnt out more than 1-3 min and always with us, but... THEY HAD ME SO FREAKED OUT THIS MORNING. I took her out, she lately seems more interested in a corner of grass by patio edge. she lies down and scratches the dirt. So this morning after her nap she ran straight to her dirt spot and lied down. I looked around and sure enough the &%# hawks were in tall trees one to left then other to right of my back fence line - just looking. It bothers me to have to watch her then check there location. So being the baby I am, I picked her up and put her in the house. She looked at me confused and then went on the paper. :sl*p:

Later I decided to try the collar and leash for front of house. Hmm first she saw a car, then kids going to school and then she shook! I had to cuddle her 5 min. Poor baby too much out front to take in all at once. She may like the backyard, but I dont like those STUPID HAWKS.

Be very, very careful!!! Hawks will swoop down and pick her up without remorse!
I witnessed a lady walking her teacup Chiuaua in my neighborhood and a hawk swooped down and picked it right up! The only thing that kept it from flying away was the fact that it was on a leash!!! The poor little thing survived but had some nasty stitches.

Ok, speaking of stalking. Those of us with multiple dogs-- do any of yours stalk each other? It is a hilarious game. OR-- get on all fours (pretend your a large cat) and stalk your dog. Many of their traits will come to the forefront. Some are bold, some want reassurance-- I just found it very interesting.

Yes, be VERY careful! My daughter's inlaws had their small poodle picked up by an eagle several years ago. Poor thing was killed when the eagle dropped it from way up :(

Sure wish I knew of something you could do to keep the hawks away.

When I first got Lily, a hawk swooped down at her. I have never moved so fast in my life. I scooped her up and went in the house. Totally freaked me out. After that, I never let her more than a couple of feet away when she went out to potty. She was on a short leash, no pun intended. Do be careful.

Woodhaven: Wesley does this and it cracks me up!!!! He will spot Cody or Stewie from across the yard and move veeeeerry veeery slowly towards them, like a creeping panther. Then all of a sudden he will pounce! :lol: Cody caught onto this quickly and they now stalk each other from across the yard. They meet in the middle and attack!! :lol:

Be really really careful of those %$#& HAWKS, I remember when I got Darby and we were up north I was always paranoid when he was in his xpens in case any came around.

Fortunately none were around, that would make me more than a bit nervous. Just take her in the backyard on her leash and be right beside her.

Not a nice feeling, so sorry/ :( :( :( :(

I would be having kittens if I was you keep your eyes on her, so we can see more photos of her -----Aileen and the gang(Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

OK I really I am not so silly then. Yesterday my husband said be careful as he saw one a few times in the day hanging out. BUT today when I looked up and saw two guarding either side of my back yard I realized ok this is not funny.

POOR Kodee, she has only been here under 48 hrs and well lets just say a crash course in collar and lead was not too successful. FULL stop breaks, scratching neck and a somersault or two and then the typical well I will just tug at the leash.

I took her out after she ate (wont touch the kibble we came home with but I have tried bits of canidae (gobbles it up) and solid gold puppy (but really loves this one). But I am afraid to switch her too fast - she looks at me for more of them and ignores the breeder kibble. OH... sorry i got distracted - that is a food post. ANYHOO after I took her out (I know i shouldnt have, without the leash) but I drove her nuts cause i was walking like a step behind her, she kept turning around as if to say "get lost woman I gotta go" She gave up, had a 10min snuggle and I put her in her bed...oh I dread her waking and having to go out....5:30 better come fast, my husband is better at taking her out like this! We are practising the collar and lead 3x a day for short bursts starting NOW. I read somewhere to tie a hellium ballon on their collar - ummm I think that might freak HER out just a tad huh :lol:

WoodHaven said:
Ok, speaking of stalking. Those of us with multiple dogs-- do any of yours stalk each other? It is a hilarious game. OR-- get on all fours (pretend your a large cat) and stalk your dog. Many of their traits will come to the forefront. Some are bold, some want reassurance-- I just found it very interesting.

My daughter was doing this and Kodee charged and scratched her nose. Showed my daughter who was boss!

Wow! Just what you need.......hawks!!

I'd be phoning around to see how to shoo them away....or whatever to try to make them go elsewhere.

There must be something they don't like that you could put up/do.

As everyone else says, hang onto that puppy.....looks like they've picked her as lunch!! :shock:

Kodee is adorable, btw! :)

Debbie

Sorry to say it, but now that they have seen what they think is their prey I doubt that they will leave easily. :bang:

Maybe call Animal Control to see if they can suggest anything, I think you will be fine as long as you are taking her out on her leash to do potty. (y)

Was Linda feeding her Doggie Diner along with her puppy food, I would slowly transition her over. :wggle:

It is normal anyway for them not to eat properly when you first get them, everything is so new to her.

Darby did the same thing with his food, and I transitioned him within about 5 days to Innova Puppy Food.

Keep us posted. :hug:

I had the same thing with a pesky fox when Alfie arrived. He was only 1.4 kilos and the fox jumped down and swiped a teddy from the lawn right near Alfie then jumped the 6 foot fence and away. I didnt even know they could jump so high over fences into the garden. You should have heard me scream I dont know who was more scared me or the fox!

Little pups tend to do better with a harness then a collar. It isn't as akward at first. Also, this way she can't hurt herself from the flip around acrobatics!! (Cody use to do the same thing!) :roll:

Kodee,

I have to agree with monica on this one.. A harness is great because soon Kodee will learn how exciting it is to run on the leash and end up clotheslining herself .. kosmo did this and then started to gasp for air. it was awful and scared the crap out of me so I got him a harness and we never looked back.

How awful you have to watch her like that!! I've never really thought of that - I guess they don't mess with the older dogs then do they?? She'll be grown soon enough I guess?? :flwr:

moniechris said:
Little pups tend to do better with a harness then a collar. It isn't as akward at first. Also, this way she can't hurt herself from the flip around acrobatics!! (Cody use to do the same thing!) :roll:
Oh I ordered a puppia, I just have to wait till it gets here. I figured her first wk she'd have enough adjustments to make, I never really thought I'd need to use either yet! Hawks were not something I even anticipated. I'm going to need a sedative if they dont go away...its about the my husbands hunting gun collection he inherited, hawk hunting legal these days in the city icon_whistling

We had a large owl scoping out the back yeard last night. HUGE!!!! While my DH was staring at it, in awe, I was running towards Arthur and screaming.

I don't know if Arthur at 11lbs is too large for an owl.. DH thinks so and therefore found my antics hilarious. Needless to say....I was not very happy about the whole situation.

oh my god these hawk storys are terrifying!!!!!!!! :yikes :yikes
just the thought of it!!just unimaginable! :shock: :shock:

duncans_ma said:
We had a large owl scoping out the back yeard last night. HUGE!!!! While my DH was staring at it, in awe, I was running towards Arthur and screaming.

I don't know if Arthur at 11lbs is too large for an owl.. DH thinks so and therefore found my antics hilarious. Needless to say....I was not very happy about the whole situation.

I don't know Ashley, probably so. But ever since that hawk swooped down at Lily, I still get freaked. I know at 13 lbs she is too big for a hawk, but every time I see one overhead, which is all the time, I sill get nervous. I had no idea that Owls could pick them up too, but was talking to the Vet the other day about this, and he said Owls can too! :yikes

Can you cut some of the branches? I know this is awful to admit but here it goes. There were two very, large black birds on my lawn and Tucker was barking at them from the gate in the back yard. They were picking at my trash bags and would not leave. Tucker was going crazy, I thought for sure they would swoop into the back to get him. I threw rocks. Not at them but kinda near them. I have never and would never want to intentionally hurt any animal but when it comes to Tucker, I would protect him with my life. I told a friend and she claimed if I had simply clapped my hands they would have flown off.

Back