• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weight?

Kelly

Hi there, was just wondering what your little babies weighed when they were 6 months.

I weighed Chester yesterday and he is 14lbs, does that seem about right?

Also, at what age will he be fully grown?

Hi Kelly,

Chester is gorgeous!!

I was wondering at what age they stop growing and will be fully grown aswell - i read somewhere that they grow to approx 30cm tall but i'm not sure if thats right as Harvey is not far off that now and he is only 16 weeks???

Sonja x

Lucky was a little heavier at 6 months - I can't remember exactly, but think he was close to 16 lbs. Now he's 18 lbs at 7 months.

Lucky seems to be on the larger end of the scale for dogs on this board.

That said, Cavaliers vary greatly in size and weight, so if you're vet is pleased with his progress and he's not too thin or overweight, then I'm sure he's doing great!

That's good to hear. I dont think he is going to be an ickle' doggie like some of the others on this board.

He doesnt look overweight to me - but then I am a little biased on anything to do with my little man! :D

We've got his 6 month puppy check on Saturday so I'll see how the vet thinks he is doing.

Do you know how old they are when they stop growing?

Hi Kelly......My Lily is about 13 lbs at 5 mos. My Vet told me that toy breeds should be fully grown at around 10 mos and large breeds at a year.

Mia was on the small side at 12 lbs. at six months. She's up to about 13 lbs. now and she just turned one year. But, like I said, she's on the petite side, I think...

They pretty much stop growing but continue to fill out at around 1 year. They will probably be about their adult weight by then. Roughly a male will be half his final weight at 4 months and girls at 3 months -- but it varies. Breed standard is 12-18lbs in the UK and 13-18lbs most elsewhere. The 'right' weight is the right weight for your dog's build :) but anything bigger than 18lbs is over breed standard.

Harley & Carley ~

:lol: :lol:

Your post has me laughing out loud - 5 months and 7lbs.. Faith is 3 months and 6.2! :yikes :yikes :yikes

I have a little horsie girl on my hands! :flwr:

Sara: little Faith is just making up for lost time! She weighed what? 1.8 lbs 3 weeks ago? :lol:

Faith is 3 months (13 weeks) and weighed 4.5lbs a week ago when we took her to the vet. The little thing seems to have put on weight and probably weighs over 5 now, maybe more. Her breeder let her graze before and she was the last pup in her litter. She now gets two meals a day and scarfs them down. She also has competition with my boys lurking around. That's quite a difference from my Cody who weighed 16.6 lbs at 4 months :yikes

Skinny animals don't fair well at my house, neither do people :?

hehe I told KOsmo this morning he is now the minority as he is the skinniest of all of us! Hopefully soon Faith will realize that there's more to life than food and we can get on with our lives, LOL. ;) She's nuts she will kill for food. Last night I got home and she was on the couch away from Avi and I asked what was wrong and he said she was in trouble - he tried feeding her a chicken jerkey and she almost bit his hand off.. :lol: :lol: We've been doing "sit" exercises with cookies since then - she can't have it unless she's sitting down.. LOL it's killing her - she just wants to gobble it. I'm trying to teach her patience and that life is long enough to sit down and at least TASTE the food! lol Wish me luck.

Zoey is such a cute little woman. ;) She's so long and thin compared to Faith who waddles when she walks.. It's the funniest thing ever!!

I thought at first (so did the vet) that she must have internal parasites or something as her tummy is HUGE but her fecal came back negative ( :w**h**: ) so her love for food has been confirmed that it's just a love - nothing else!

If I remember correctly, I think Cosmo was around 14 pounds at 6 months. He is almost 9 months now and he is around 20 lbs, which is probably a little on the large size, but he's not chubby.

Cappy is 10.5 months and weighs 12.5 pounds. He's weighed the same amount for a few months now. I think he'll gain a bit when he fills out, but I don't expect him to go over 15# or so. Time will tell.

[OFF TOPIC: Sara, call me crazy, but it seems like Faith/Trixie/Brandy is simply "Faith" these days. Anything official yet, or is everyone calling her something different? That'd probably be okay with her since that's what happened for the three weeks she stayed with me: Faith/Fay/Rhonda/Purle/J-Lo]

As for Faith's weight...
  • * She weighed 1.8# when I got her.
    * Two weeks later when she got spayed, she weight 4.5#. She didn't eat much for two days, which the vet said was normal, as long as she was back to her spay weight with in a week.
    * 5 days later she weighed 4.7 (two days before Sara picked her up).
    * Sara brought her to the vet the day after she got her and Faith clocked in at over 6 pounds. That would mean that she gained almost a pound and a half in three days.
Amazing.

eh. It happens to women too, once we find out perfect match and settle into a relationship we tend to pack on the pounds :lol: Faith has definitely found her soulmate :luv:

Seems as if Faith was making up for last time. Yes I have shortened it to Faith - well Faith for short but I mostly call her "faithey" It's more of a cute little baby name and i heard that if the name ends in an "e" sound the dog responds better to it. ;) She recalls better than Kosmo does - no reason in killing a good thing.. :yikes :lol:

She was 6.2 as of this morning but last week was 5.5 so she's gained .7 in a week which I think is pretty standard for a puppy.

If she weighed 4.7 before I picked her up and 5.5 the day after that's still almost a whole pound within a couple of days. Seems crazy bit I've tested it with my own scale too.. icon_nwunsure She is definately 6.2lbs.

I think she is just making up for lost time. ;) She probably is so not used to having food that when she came to you and me she was snarfing everything up Mickey. ;) Apparently she will grow out of this - so that's something to look forward to, lol. :p

Hopefully she stays within breed standard. If not it just means there's more of her to love.. ;)

And I had no idea that Cappy was so young! I thought he was much older - how old is Abby!?

LOL Monica - that was just her settling in gift - Too bad she didn't take it from me! :yikes

Sara:
Abby is 18 months. She was "surrendered" on May 31 and joined my family that evening. She was 10 months old at the time.
Cappy is 10.5 months. I got him when he was 12 weeks old, on June 1, twelve hours after we got Abby.

How old did you think they were? Shoot, how old do you think I am? Never mind, I don't want to know the answer to that last question!

There's alot of factors that go into size ....... litter size,genetics ect. Colby was only in a litter of 2 and he was very big in the beginning and kept growing and growing and growing :lol: At 6 months he was 13 lbs 12 oz ..........now at almost 13 months he is 17.5 lbs .He's slowed down ALOT .

Back