• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spoiled puppie?

JADE AND LADY

Hi everyone,i like to get some opinions on my puppies behaviour recently.
Well first of all she has started this kind of spoiledness ,when she is on my lap and anyone try's to lift her up to cuudle her she growls and barks at them
like to say don't touch me i'm on my mammy's lap and she is getting like that if you try move her when she's asleep in an arkward position :x
Also she is getting very possesive over food if she rob's something of your plate as they do and you try take it of her she puts her snowt to the ground quite firmly and growls and her grip on it is quite strong :?

BUT the one that worries me most is when she starts playing she gets aggressive and the bit is quite soar,even if she is playing on her own the toy gets a death its like the head shakes from side to side while growling thats the only way i can describe it.And when playing with my little sister she won't let her sit on the sofa or go up the stairs without intimidating her with her barks there like two bold kids running around the house like lunatics after each other.
any advice or similar stories would be great :D :D :D :D

You need to get her into a training class as a starter -- I'd recommend checking out the Dog training Ireland classes asap and while you are doing the basic class, Tara or Lisa can give you home advice for the lap and feeding behaviour. This is a form of resource guarding and can become a serious problem. You need to address this properly right away.

The other playing with a toy behaviour is normal. Mine do this all the time.

We just had a discussion on all this here, if you read thru the whole thread:

http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6766

I also recommended a good book (Dr Ian Dunbar's) for puppy owners to get to understand behaviours better. (y)

I would quickly correct the growling on your lap when anyone tries to touch her! It is to my understanding that this is the dog saying she owns you. This kind of behavior is not good, it rather agressive! It could lead to her biting someone if they go to pet her or something.

My aunt's chihuahua was like this... would growl at you if you try to touch her while she was on my aunts lap. It became so bad that the dog would bark, snarle and snap at anyone in a 3 foot radius (literally). They had to take her to a doggie behaviorist for one on one classes because they let it get out of hand. Now, she is a little better... but everyone in our family (the extended family) just think she is the most foul mannered little dog! And most of them like chihuahuas, so it's not just the breed!

Thanks for the tips i'll have to look up some training classes asap because she is such a good dog apart from that and i don't want her ruined. :)
she did snap at my boyfriends mother when she tryed to take her of my lap but as soon as she took the biscuits out she was of my lap and straight over to her , would this problem be related to her anal gland s being emptied could she just be uncomfortable as she only started doing it a week or two ago :sl*p: :sl*p:

I cannot offer any expert advice but one thing that I have done since I got Tucker was if during our play he even accidentally nips me, I immediately stop the play. This way he associates a nip with the loss of the play he so enjoys. I'm also very careful not to pull anything from his mouth, by that I mean a toy. We play catch/fetch all the time if he does not drop the object/ball at my feet or in my lap, I do no take it from his mouth. He's never nipped me, and probably needless to say never let him bite on your finger for any reason. On the food issue, I have no advice because I have no experience with this problem. I've taken things from Tucker's mouth if I find him chewing on something and I don't know what it is. Even with a doggy treat, he'd let me take it out of his mouth.

While your waiting to start the training classes I have a suggestion for the meantime. If someone wants to pat her etc.. put her on the floor and ignore her. They can then sit on the floor and call her. She will learn affection comes from others as well as you.

BUT definately, start the training classes now (and practise what your taught every day for 2, 15 min sessons), you dont want to instill this behaviour to the point of no return.

Guarding people, food etc has nothing to do with anal glands (if only it were that easy! :)). It is a behaviour issue and needs to be addressed but addressed *correctly*. Putting her on the ground immediately and then ignoring her is a good way to do some basic work but I'd really recommend getting out to Tara's classes where they will give you precise directions on this. Whatever you do, don't go to the IKC classes as they nearly all use punishment-based training. :( Please get some training advice on this though as now is the time to address it. If the behaviour is allowed to go on and on, this can become a fairly serious issue (some of the pounds will put down dogs with food guarding issues as they can attack children -- so it is im[ortant to do something while this is just baby behaviour and easily corrected.). Also please do get Ian Dunbar's book which will answer a lot of your questions on puppies and give guidance on training. You can easily order it from Amazon in the UK. (y)

Natalie said:
if only i could get my lady to snap at my mother in law to be!

:badgrin: i know how that feels! I wish my baby could do that too ! She can't even bark or be angry.. :sl*p:

I just wonder sometimes, cause we are going to mom-in-law someday.. (hopefully) are we going to be like that ? is it because they were treated like that too from their in laws and they just wanna vent it or what ? darn. I never could understand what she is thinking of me!

any experienced mom-in-laws here?

sorry for diverting from the main subject here! just curious. really c-u-r-i-o-u-s! icon_blshing

babyC said:
Natalie said:
if only i could get my lady to snap at my mother in law to be!

:badgrin: i know how that feels! I wish my baby could do that too ! She can't even bark or be angry.. :sl*p:

I just wonder sometimes, cause we are going to mom-in-law someday.. (hopefully) are we going to be like that ? is it because they were treated like that too from their in laws and they just wanna vent it or what ? darn. I never could understand what she is thinking of me!

any experienced mom-in-laws here?

that's an intresting point my mil to be has a really bad attitute towards her mil (my boyfriends grandmother) so maybe she's just venting at me. However, my parent's love my boyfiend treat him like a son and my mum gets on really well with her mil. Hopefully i will be like my mum and love my in laws. God i feel really old and kidda grown up thinking about a child that i don't even have yet getting married! Is been broody for babies the same feeling as been broody for more furbabies?

how funny is that ? My mom loves my bf, so far she said he's her favourite and my mom is getting along well with her mil .. :shock: so..afterall.. we can draw a pattern here ?

Back