• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

scared of vet appiontment?

JADE AND LADY

lady has a vet appointment on friday for an ANAL GLAND EMPTYING which i'm quite upset about as i don't no what it intales ,i worried about how it will affect her i don't no what they do so i'm sending my boyfriend with her to get it done because if i'm there and they hurt her i start crying and i've often smacked people if they hurt her by accident so i'd feel sorry for the vet if i was to go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
But if anyone can enlighting me on the procedure i would be greatful and would take a weight of my shoulder thanks :D

I'll let someone else go into the gory details but it is just a little uncomfortable for them and doesn't usually hurt much. They also feel a lot better when it is done as if the glands are full it is more difficult for them to go the toilet.

Try not to worry and good luck :flwr:

try not to worry it takes seconds and normally painless ..........can stink a bit though icon_whistling

thanks i just a bit worried how she'll be afterwards cause when she got her boosters i could'nt even pick her up without her crying,i just a wreck with worry it's so stupid thanks for your comments

its not stupid at all .....she will be fine after the empty probably GREAT .............as for the vac most of mine have a wee yelp but soon realise a gravy bone is in my pocket :)

I do Izzy's myself and he just gives a little grumbly growl. Joly's are not so easy to do (dogs vary in this) and so he had to go to the vets. Joly did cry a little, but he is a wimp.

I saw Cedar have her anal glands expressed once when she was a puppy. It didnt phase her at all, and it took like 5 seconds. The vet was quite experienced and he did it and removed the nastiness in one swoop. It was gone so fast it didnt even smell!

I'm sure everything will go fine.

Try not to worry too much Jade, Maxx has had an anal gland infection and they were too impacted to be emptied the other day so he's going back today.

The Vet will put his gloved fingers up inside Lady's butt and just squeeze the gunk out of her glands. She might squeal a little bit but the relief they feel once those glands are emptied is enormous. I have seen a dog barely able to walk before anal sac emptying, run out into the waiting room wagging her tail madly after having it done. This little one had her Mamma so worried that she thought she was going to lose her - it was like the Vet had waved a magic wand!

One warning though - turn your face away when the Vet is doing it as it stinks :grnyuk:

Thanx for the info maxx mammy thank god i'm not goin in with her my boyfriend is so he'll be doin the hard part :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

She'll be fine Jade :flwr: Maxx had his done properly yesterday - now that the antibiotics have worked and he's got to go back and get them checked again next week. He's more than happy today though - not to say comfortable :flwr:

The anal gland sacks feel like two little peas just inside the bottom, they are situated at 10 o'clock and two o'clock!

You squeeze them gently to empty them if they feel full and you can do this little job yourself at home....but not something for the faint hearted :lol: :lol: :lol: ask your vet to show you when you go... icon_whistling

Alison..

Well lady went to the vet on saturday but my boyfreind went in with her cause i had to stand outside incase i heard her cry :(
But he only found a little bit but was enough to irritate her poor thing and i asked the vet about sm and he said its so rare he wouldn't entertain it no matter what i said so ill have to look for a more sympatatic vet :D

Did you bring Karlin's printouts to show SM isn't at all rare in Cavs? He might take official ish papers more seriously. But how rude to be so dismissive!

Back