• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Soft crates...are they safe???

KingstonsMom

I just bought Kingston a soft-sided collapsible crate from Target. I plan to use it when we're away from home because it's so easy to pack. My question is...Is this type of crate safe? It won't collapse on him will it? Also, I figure since it is so lightweight that Kingston can probably tip it over if he jumps against one side, but that's the case with all soft crates right? I don't know, I'm just worried.

Here's the link if you want to see what it looks like:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.htm...25&cpncode=09-26091939-2&ref=tgt_adv_XPND0010

Gus has one similar to that that he sits in when we are in the car. I don't know if I would leave him unattended in it... it does seem like he could tip it over.

I have read tales about s dog moving round the room in a soft crate, rather like a hamster in a ball and also of dogs chewing thier way out.

I can't even leave Teddy in some metal crates, because he can escape.

We used to have a couple for travel. We found that our dogs liked to chew on them and we were afraid they could get out. We have given ours away.

We use the plastic crates to transport our dogs in the car. When Kris flies to a show, the dogs go under the seat in a sherpa bag. The crate is packed with her clothes and grooming supplies and goes in the hold of the plane. That insures she always has the secure plastic crate for the dog.
Oh, and she always puts a note on the crate that says "No animals in this crate" just in case a baggage handler might think they lost a dog.

I bought one similar to that recently and then I read on this forum that they are not as safe as plastic crates for use in a car as they will not absorb any impact in a car crash :yikes I have now bought seat belt harnesses instead.

I would imagine a chewer would be able to get through the mesh pretty easily too!

The carrier is still useful to have though when I am away from home with the dogs. It folds away nicely and is not too heavy.

The one I bought Tucker cost around 40 dollars. He never tipped it over, he did however, escape from it twice. The first time I neglected to latch the zipper that closes the mesh panel and he dragged it down and got out. The 2nd time he escaped, he chewed through the rubberized mesh panel that looked very secure to me, in fact, I have my doubts that I would have been able to get through it with a knife or scissors. I never used it in the car, it was to be his crate here at home when I was out and he was alone.

I have been really happy with the soft crate we use. Riley loves his soft crate and sleeps in it at night. It is collapsible, so we have taken it anytime we take him with us to visit family or for outdoor situations where we need to confine him for a bit. He has never rolled it over or tried to chew his way out. For outside it does have ground stakes to anchor it so it won't roll. I have found it to be a great help and very convenient. However, Riley rides in a hard crate in the car. I just feel better that the hard crate can provide more protection for him while traveling.

I've said this a few times but will say it again s it is so important:

Soft crates are intended for use inside the home where they can make a great (and more attractive) alternative to a hard crate for adult dogs (puppies will easily chew holes in them). They are also useful when travelling, for INSIDE a hotel or guest room. But not all dogs take to them.

They are UNSAFE in the car for transportation and you might as well just have the dog loose for all the protection a soft crate will provide in even the mildest collision or need for a sharp manouevre. Please use a hard crate or a properly designed seatbelt harness in the car for travel. Think of whether you'd consider a human baby safe lying inside a soft crate on the back seat (NO!!) and you will understand better why a soft crate provides NO PROTECTION AT ALL.

I have a soft crate for Lexi (for use inside the house only) and she, like Tucker, chewed through the side of it and escaped. :roll: I don't use a crate anymore because both of my girls are housetrained, but I personally would stick with a metal or plastic crate if you want security. Of course, that's just my opinion! ;)

It does make a nice den for her though . . . :D :D
DSC01015.jpg

KingstonsMom said:
Just for the record, I'm not using it in the car. He has a carseat.

I was thinking about getting a carseat for Lexie. Where did you find yours? We currently use a plastic carrier.

I was thinking about getting a carseat for Lexie. Where did you find yours? We currently use a plastic carrier.

I bought it from Petsmart. I like it because it lifts him up to where he can see out of the window and it has a strap that hooks to his harness so he can't climb around. He loves to curl up and go to sleep in it.

Back