PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes in Central Florida

Joanne M
2nd February 2007, 03:03 PM
CNN is reporting devastating tornadoes moving across Central Florida. 14 reported dead and the tornadoes are moving east at 45 miles per hour. I'm going back to the news, the county I heard the reports on were Lakeland County.

Karlin I apologize if this post does not belong here. I got frightened because I know we have board members in Florida.

Lindsay
2nd February 2007, 03:05 PM
:yikes :yikes :yikes

Oh no! Take care, Floridians!

My Wesley
2nd February 2007, 03:10 PM
I have a brother in Orlando. Hope it turns out.

moniechris
2nd February 2007, 03:11 PM
There seem to be an unusual amount of tornadoes recently. This is the second episode of the ripping through the northern part of the state withing the past 1 month (the last was on Christmas day). It was especially bad this time because the twister hit at night when everyone was sleeping. Thankfully, we are safe here in Tampa. But I do worry about the people on this forum who are further north.

Remali
2nd February 2007, 03:34 PM
I'm watching it on TV right now....it looks like the area around Lady Lake was hit very bad. I hope all of our forum family down there are OK!

Lindsay
2nd February 2007, 03:39 PM
Smack dap in the middle. Look to be about 30 miles south of Ocala. (I am the map queen when I am at work.) :flwr:

Shay
2nd February 2007, 03:56 PM
I am deathly afraid of tornadoes! I grew up in New Orleans, and have been through many hurricanes, but at least you have warning. I leave hurricane central and move to tornado alley.:yikes I seriously freak out at the first mention of tornadoes on the news here. Made sure we had a house with a basement .

Vickie
2nd February 2007, 03:59 PM
:shock: that sounds scary.

take care floridians :flwr:

Nicki
2nd February 2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks for letting us know - sending positive thoughts to all our Florida members - hope you're all safe and well, I guess you won't have power for a bit but let us know when you can...

Take care everyone :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I hope that MB in Bermuda is ok too...I think they have lost power :(

Doggydad
2nd February 2007, 09:17 PM
Yep..Doggymom is right now enroute to local SPCA here in St. Petersburg to help with the first load of dogs being brought back to this facility from the Sumter County SPCA facility that was apparently devastated by the storm.

Momma is a FEMA Certified active member of DART and got the call for help for this rescue effort shortly after noon today (EST). She has already been told that they were unable to get all the dogs in one trip so she may have to go back for a second load yet this evening. :drivecar:

Apparently they have two females in the first load that just had litters yesterday so she may stay back with them. I'm expecting the call for her agenda for the next 12 hrs or so any minute.

Shay
2nd February 2007, 09:29 PM
You are all in our thoughts are prayers. :flwr: Please have a safe trip Doggymom.

waveyskies
2nd February 2007, 09:31 PM
oh my goodness, that does sound scary! Take care all those in Florida.
I am glad that people still think of the animals in need in such times.

molly
2nd February 2007, 09:32 PM
Hope everyone is OK in Florida.

Doggydad and Doggymom: God bless you for jumping in to help.

Remali
2nd February 2007, 11:51 PM
My heart just goes out to all of the people, and their pets, that were hurt or killed in this awful event.

Doggydad
3rd February 2007, 01:18 AM
Hope everyone is OK in Florida.

Doggydad and Doggymom: God bless you for jumping in to help.

Dm gets all the credit. She's back for the night :luv: but sounds like will have to go back to the damaged shelter over the weekend. Now if I can just keep her from bringing them all home. :roll:

Remali
3rd February 2007, 02:38 AM
That is so good to know there are such wonderful people helping the dogs down there in Florida!

enchantingdragon
3rd February 2007, 03:31 AM
I hope all you Floridians are safe

Doggymommy and daddy how wonderful its to know that there are people out there who care and love for animals at all times

Doggydad
4th February 2007, 03:29 PM
:updte:

Doggymom & all other local volunteers currently on standby until the damaged areas have been cleared by authorities. Many folks have lost their lives in this terrible storm and the area still hasn't been cleared for routine animal rescue efforts as of 9:00 AM (EST) today.

The head of our local SPCA with help managed to get all of the dogs out of the SPCA facility in Sumpter County on Friday because it was destroyed and they had to be translocated to another facility but now everyone has to wait for the authorities to clear the area for the resue of the lost and injured pets.

All of the families effected by this disaster are in our hearts and prayers.

arasara
4th February 2007, 03:30 PM
thanks for the update doggydad!

It's just awful to think about - I hope they are able to get the animals out of there soon!!

*HUGZ* and prayers to all floridians!

Shay
5th February 2007, 07:49 PM
DoggyDad.....How is the rescue going?

Crittercall
6th February 2007, 07:41 PM
I was putting on makeup and getting ready to go as they started giving news of the storm. From what I understand, most of the damage was in Deland which is a few miles north of where we live. We left the house in pouring rain, some thunder and lightning, but the wind wasn't bad here or at the airport.

Of course we were clueless while in air, and didn't really know how much damage was done until we got into our hotel room. I decided then that I'd better check in w/Erin and let her know we were okay. She said that my Mom was in a panic so I called her too.

So, reporting from Central Florida and the Land of the Mouse, all is A-OK here!

Cicero's Mummy
6th February 2007, 07:48 PM
Thankfully... my granparents and thier Boxer Annie have not been hit by the tornados... just got an email from them today... all is well...

Crittercall
7th February 2007, 12:04 AM
I'm glad to hear that my fellow Floridians are okay. The only person I've talked to who was anywhere near having any damage was the flight attendant on the way back last night. She said that there was damage 300 yards from her home, but that her place was okay.

Remali
7th February 2007, 02:06 AM
Sounds like a very close call for some, I'm glad everyone is OK!