• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Diarrhoea and Pain

Becs

Hi Odie

I have just returned from my walk with Odie and during the walk he squatted quite a number of times trying to go. However, he only passed a very watery substance and was crying. While he was trying I could hear it gurgling inside him before it came out. This also happened on his walk with Jason last evening.

He is in good form and eating as normal, which is not a lot. He could go a whole day without eating his food.

I'm concerned in case there is an obstruction, could this explain the gurgling?

Poor little fella

poor wee fellow :( If it was an obstruction, he would normally be vomiting and nothing coming out the rear end...although if there is a partial obstruction you could get some diarrhoea.

He would be very quiet...and prob not want to eat.

It sounds like he's eaten something that hasn't agreed with him - if you're worried, I'd get the vet to check him out - otherwise if you do a search on diarrhoea or look through some of the posts in this section, there's lots of helpful advice.

Hi Nicki

I've just read advice on diahorrea to George.

I'll try keeping Odie off food and as you suggest make a broth and introduce him back to solid food slowly.

Thank you :flwr:

If Odie is a baby, you might want to take him to the vet right away, as the little ones can get dehydrated very quickly.

Hope he feels better soon :flwr:

Hello

We brought Odie to the vet today, as the diahorrea was containing a lot of blood and he had started to vomit white foam. It turns out that he has Gastroenteritis. The vet was kind of concerned that it may have been Parvovirus due to the smell from the diahorrea. However, she did say that if it was Parvovirus he would have a high temp and be lethargic. He is now on medication and also had a shot

The vet said that he should be about 25% better tomorrow and we've to give her an update then.

My mind is slightly at ease now, we'll see how he progresses tomorrow.

poor odie! oh that's scary to hear the P-word but that's a very good sign that there is no temperature. indy had a few bad episodes of diahorrea when he was younger. they can be scary but the fasting really does help things a lot, and you really should notice a difference with the shot and medication. the fasts are hard because somehow the little boogers still seem very interested in food even when they are sick, but he'll get through!

keep us updated and hope he feels better soon!

k

good luck, that is so hard. glad he doesn't have a fever. i hope he feels better soon.

Hi

Just to let you know that Odie is feeling a bit better today. He has had some chicken and rice, that's the first thing he has eaten since Friday !
He really enjoyed it, keeps looking for more. I've just been giving him small amounts as I don't want to overload his stomach after the fasting. He has managed to keep all of it down, so that's a good thing. On Saturday he did want to eat but when I tried him with a bit of chicken he tried to take it but walked away and got sick.

He is still sleepy, but gets short bursts of energy and tries to play but gets tired very quickly.

He's getting lots of attention from everyone, lots of hugs and kisses and loving every minute of it.

Hi

Odie is back to his little self. We went for a little ramble yesterday evening and he proved how well he was feeling when I had to fish a large piece of a Snickers bar from the back of his throat !!!

It's good to see his appetite back, it has never been this good. I'm hoping that he doesn't go back to being a fussy eater, as he could do with putting a little weight on.

Talk soon :flwr:

that's so good to hear---that must have been quite a scare.

glad to know that odie is back to his old self again :D

k

Just saw this. Glad Odie is feeling better. I've always found that when they have tummy upsets , if you starve them for a day they usually feel better - I think it gives the tummy time to settle down .

Glad he's OK now :flwr:

That is so good Odie is better! I am having some similar troubles with my Bentley, we were up half of the night with diarrhea. So far he seems to not be in any discomfort thank God, but he has had about 5 or 6 bouts of loose stools/diarrhea. So, today I am going to call my vet this morning. I'm a bit worried.

thanks for the good news about Odie. That was a very worrisome episode.
Fingers crossed for Bentley! get well soon...

Thank you for all your kind words.

Hope Bentley is feeling better soon, Renee. If it is just diahorrea, fasting seems to work really well or maybe he just needs to be wormed.

Keep us posted ;)

Back