• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do your dogs like zucchini and yellow squash?

GudrunTheRed

Last night for dinner I was making my zucchini/yellow squash/onion sauté for dinner and as I was transferring all the veggies to my big cast iron chicken fryer pan (my favorite for sautéing anything!) a few pieces of the zucchini and squash fell on the floor and lo and behold...Chester gobbled them up like they were candy!

So I gave him more slices and he gobbled them all down one after the other! I'm so happy my boy likes these raw veggies and I'm going to start keeping some sliced up in the fridge for him for snacks. For some reason he doesn't care for baby carrots as treats, but heck, if he likes the squash and zucchini I guess they're just as healthy and low-calorie too! The vet said he could stand to loose a pound or two so I guess I'll be giving more veggies and less baked treats from now on. Now if I could follow the same advice and shed some pounds myself....

i wish zack liked raw zucchini and yellow squash. I make it fairly often and cut it into round slices and munch on them myself, and i give one to zack and he seems to like the size and shape of it, but then he carries it into the living room and leaves it rotting on the rug.

Gudrun, Chester and my 3 have the same tastes. :)

My hubby cooks a stirfry every week, and he noticed the same thing! They like the green and yellow squash as much as they like green beans and carrots.

And these veggies are all safe for cavs? I saw a news report that said onions can be toxic to dogs because it dehydrates them and causes kidney failure, so I've been afraid to "experiment" with different veggies.

What kind of veggies besides zucchine, squash, and green beans work for cavs? Are they as healthy for them as they are for us or are they just a good treat alternative?

carrots are good. I give raw carrot sticks. Zack seems to like them better at room temperature than cold. Usually he takes it to the living room and then leaves it on the floor. The next morning he lays down with it and eats the whole thing for breakfast, instead of his kibble.

check the ingredients on some of the premium kibbles, they include corn, sweet potato, apples, and lots of stuff. Onions and garlic have a chemical in them that can cause hemolytic anemia, i think. Last summer i gave Zack chewable tablets which he loved that were a combination of garlic and brewers yeast, made for pets, sold at the health food store. He got sick not long after that, but there could be a lot of other explanations, the vet didn't really know but his his blood count had a few abnormalities, scared me to death. It all started with fleas. Antibiotics cured him.

Back