• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weight & Diet

Claire L

Just weighed the girls and Minnie comes in at 16lbs and Cara comes in at 22lbs :yikes what is an ideal weight for two 4/5 yr olds?

I bought James Wellbeloved Turkey & rice kibble for Cara because of her tummy upset. I bought the senior/light bag - I thought that was the correct one but now I'm not sure. I would like to keep both girls on the same food (I had been feeding Minnie Burns chicken & rice but I don't think that's suitable for Cara)

All advice greatly appreciated :flwr:
BTW, when you say "half a cup!" what sizecup are you talking about? is it the equivalent to us cooking measurement ???

:flwr:

There is no ideal weight, Claire. It depends entirely on the build of the dog. They need to have distinct waists to be in healthy weight.

This is the best guide to follow:

http://roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

I don't like low cal foods as all you are paying for is roughage -- much better to feed regular food with a decent taste and smaller amounts of it. Supplement with a handful of frozen green beans or other fruit or veg to bulk it out, if desired.

I wouldn't feed Cara more than 2/3rds a cup of dry food *a day*. Watch the treats and try to stick to healthy low cal treats (eg *very occasional* fruit and veg).

I tried them both on frozen green beans and a piece of raw carrot. They both had a chew and then spat them out :roll: should I just mix them in with their food?

I had a look at the Cav care manual but it doesn't mention J. Wellbeloved or Burns. Which of theses foods would be best?

Sorry if I sound dumb but I want Cara and Minnie to eat the best food that's available here (Ireland)

Thanks...

When Abby came to us at 10 weeks [edited to MONTHS] she was a bit overweight. 16.8# sounds right for a Cavalier, but her body silhouette didn't match the good ones pictured in RC Manual (Karlin's link). I went to my pet supply shop and inquired about a good food that I could feed a senior 90# lab, a 12 week ckcs, and Abby, who needed to lose just a bit. I knew feeding three separate foods wouldn't work for ME!

They recommended Nature's Variety kibble. Abby would have normally gotten 1 cup (US standard measuring) a day (1/2 cup twice daily), so I started her at 1/3 cup twice a day. I mixed in a heaping teaspoon of pumpkin. Abby was looking good at 14.5#.

When I found out the other branch of the store started selling puppies, I had to find another place to buy my dog food AND another food, since there is no where else in town that sells NV. I switched to EVO and, due to the higher caloric level, was advised to reduce her food amount to 1/4c twice a day (1/2 cup daily). That did NOT work! She lost more weight and got down to slightly under 13#. I like the EVO, so I bumped her up to 1/3c per meal, and still mix in pumpkin and yogurt and use carrot sticks for treats. Abby is at a good weight for her, 14#.

I would highly recommend any of the Nature's Variety products (kibble and raw) or EVO kibble for both of your dogs. You'll just need to vary the amount served to each pup. Good luck![/code]

Both of mine eat the same food. Ca Natural chicken and rice. Shelby gets a bit less than Jake. She's smaller and not as active as he is.

As far as the carrots and beans. When I've had a foster and fed them some veggies they look at us like we're nuts :roll: They'll eat it and spit it out. After a couple of days though they are lined up with the other two...waiting anxiously for the veggies and fruits. It's a new taste and something they just get used to.

Claire, I don't think you can get the food from the Natural Dog Food Company in Ireland? That is the most natural dry food available, Burns and James Wellbeloved both still use synthetic vitamins and minerals, but they are the next best...

Avoid anything that says meat and animal derivatives - eg pedigree, Hills Etc.

Royal Canin isn't too bad, but has a lot of fillers.

Mic said:
When Abby came to us at 10 weeks she was a bit overweight. 16.8# sounds right for a Cavalier, but her body silhouette didn't match the good ones pictured in RC Manual (Karlin's link). I went to my pet supply shop and inquired about a good food that I could feed a senior 90# lab, a 12 week ckcs, and Abby, who needed to lose just a bit. I knew feeding three separate foods wouldn't work for ME!

They recommended Nature's Variety kibble. Abby would have normally gotten 1 cup (US standard measuring) a day (1/2 cup twice daily), so I started her at 1/3 cup twice a day. I mixed in a heaping teaspoon of pumpkin. Abby was looking good at 14.5#.

When I found out the other branch of the store started selling puppies, I had to find another place to buy my dog food AND another food, since there is no where else in town that sells NV. I switched to EVO and, due to the higher caloric level, was advised to reduce her food amount to 1/4c twice a day (1/2 cup daily). That did NOT work! She lost more weight and got down to slightly under 13#. I like the EVO, so I bumped her up to 1/3c per meal, and still mix in pumpkin and yogurt and use carrot sticks for treats. Abby is at a good weight for her, 14#.

I would highly recommend any of the Nature's Variety products (kibble and raw) or EVO kibble for both of your dogs. You'll just need to vary the amount served to each pup. Good luck!

I wouldn't put a 10 week old puppy on a weight loss diet (or was that a typo??). They are babies-- when they grow up they should match the outlines.

I certainly hope Abby wasn't a 16+ lb puppy at 10 weeks! :shock: That';s more like Great Pyrenees size for 10 weeks... :lol:

Believe me Claire, if the ONLY extras the dogs get are fresh fruit and veg they learn to love it fast! Especially if one is on seriously reduced rations...

I like James Wellbeloved simply as it is a LOT easier to find then Burns (I cannot even find a Burns distributer within 5-10 miles of me -- if anyone knows one on the northside someone, please post!). At the moment I alternative between Royal Canin and James wellbeloved. The dogs actually do better on Royal Canin in my experience. But I only use kibble as a supplement to meals, not as the main ingredient of meals.

I actually like to alter kibble brands around anyway; none is designed to be fed alone as the sole source of nutrients over the life of a dog, just as you wouldn;t want to live off Wheaties or Wheetabix even if they are fortified. The best diet contains variety and FRESH food at least as a regular supplement if not as the basic element of the diet. I just think a life of kibbles is unbearably grim. :yuk:

Good grief! :sl*p:
Abby was 10 MONTHS when I got her from the vet as an owner surrender.

The next day I got Cappy (12 WEEKS) from a breeder in Dallas.
Sorry for the confusion due to the typo. My bad. :oops:

James Wellbeloved is a lot easier to get but I get Burns from my vet in Fairview Vet Clinic. My 2 love it but then they love food full stop!

I told my Vet about Burns years ago and he got it in. He couldn't believe how many people were buying it. He's in Raheny. If you want me to get some for you Karlin - no problem. Do you think iy would be OK to give some to Cara - it's chicken & Rice .

Burns is also available at the kennels (don't know the name of them) in Malahide. Raheny Veterinary hospital and Marie Louise Vet hosp in Warrenhouse Road .

Back