PDA

View Full Version : I must be crazy..

debjen
4th February 2007, 06:13 PM
I started teaching 2 new intro agility classes yesterday...(luckily only ened up with 7 dogs so will combine them to just one class)..plus started a Shaping class with Riley...that's in addition to classes with Robbie Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday's..oh and let's now forget the dog related meetings the first 3 Monday's of each month..

Yep definitely crazy...I don't think I had a life before the dogs

molly
7th February 2007, 01:28 AM
I bet you didn't have nearly so much fun! Good for you for teaching, you will do a great job. I love shaping. We did 101 things to do with a box with one of mine in class and it was amazing. It is also how I taught one of mine to do a down after everything else failed using shaping. We have also taught them some fun things that way. You have got to love this stuff!.

Karlin
7th February 2007, 02:29 AM
Sounds like challenging fun, though you will be very busy!!

Gracie's Mommy
7th February 2007, 02:33 AM
Sorry...newbie here. I'm curious, what is shaping?

debjen
7th February 2007, 05:11 AM
Sorry...newbie here. I'm curious, what is shaping?

Shaping is basically clicker training..using a clicker and treats to shape a behavior ..you break the behavior into small steps then shape the steps into the end behavior..

For instance we were working on getting my lab into a box..we started with a click and treat for looking at the box..then to get the click and treat he had to touch the box..then he had to put one foot in a box, then 2 feet in a box, then 3 feet in the box...then all 4 feet in a box...once you shape the behavior then you can give it a command..

Lab in a box..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v521/debjen/rileyinabox.jpg