• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

If you feed twice a day.....

My Wesley

How much do you feed?

Wesley is now 4 months and I see this is around they time they are moved to two meals a day. He used to get 1/3 cup, three times a day. Now I'm looking at having him have 1/3 cup, twice a day. One in the morning, and one in the evening.

Does this sound right? He's eating Innova EVO.

Thanks!

i am wondering the same thing lady hasn't been intrested in lunch for the past week so i am assuming that she ready to go down to 2 meals is that right? I feed 100grams per day with mixers on top peas, carrots etc so i am thinking about doing 40 grams for breakfast and tea then 20 grams in a kong does that sound about right?

That sounds about right. Jolly stopped being interested in lunch around that same age and I switched him to 2 meals a day. I am giving him 1/2 cup in the morning and another 1/2 in the early evening.

He was such a picky eater, I was giving him 2 serving spoons of canned dog food mixed in with the dry food. At 7 months old he started to not be so picky, so I stopped the morning mixing of canned food. I kept up on the evening mixing with canned food.

He burns it all off. He is still a very skinny little thing.

He will be 8 months old on Feb. 15th and I am planning on stopped his canned food at that time. He isn't a fussy eater anymore and gobbles all his food, so I don't need to tempt him anymore with wet food. I also think he is slowing down on his growing, so he doesn't need as much food.

I plan on cutting him back on the dry food, but now sure when yet and to how much. I thought I would wait until he fills out a little. Right now he is so scrawny.

My Wesley said:
Now I'm looking at having him have 1/3 cup, twice a day. One in the morning, and one in the evening.

that's exactly what i feed monty. he's neither too heavy or light - just perfect! :D monty is a little over 3 years old now.

Charleen, I'd sure advocate giving him more variety in his diet than only kibbles (not least because it's fun! :)). An all kibble diet, especially the same kibble for months and months or especially years, can of itself encourage pickiness in eaters and an overly sensitive stomch to any dietry change, and risks not giving a rounded, complete diet. The current issue of the Whole Dog Journal notes that even when a food says 'complete diet' on the package this does not mean it is nutritionally complete over the medium to long term.

I also feel that only kibbles are a dull diet for a dog over a lifetime -- these are omnivores, just like humans, who enjoy a broad range of foods; and kibbles are just a highly processed convenience food. We would be horrified to rewuire a child to eat the sme processed food every day rather than fresh and wholesome real foods.

I definitely don;t feel people need to choose a cooked or raw diet alone and kibbles are good for working the teeth and gums and making sure an overall diet is blanced. but with so many great premade raw foods, tinned foods of excellent quality, and just plain good real food we can make and add to supplement the diet, why not add something different at least a few times a week or feed entirely the canned or whatever meal now and then? Add some diced chicken or lightly cooked ground beef. Add some raw fresh or cooked veg, a spoonful of canned pumpkin, cottage cheese, yogurt, a cooked or raw egg, healthy leftovers... the possibilities are endless and you'll have a much happier dog. I make stews, varying the meat and veg and grain ingredients, and either feed that alone or on top of some kibble. And feed a bit of raw, a bit of other fresh foods, sardines or mackeral once a week, etc.

Animal nutritionists also say fruit and veg are as healthy for dogs as they are for humans and should be part of the diet.

A diet of only kibble is like a diet of only Wheaties for us. Sure it is complete -- but would you want to eat that every meal for your whole life? :lol:

Back