View Full Version : Ear Odor

Harley & Carley
6th February 2007, 08:42 PM
My girls ears seem to smell especially " doggy", but they look clean. Is this normal and what can I clean them with to get rid of the odor?

6th February 2007, 10:37 PM
Is this for the outer or inner ear? For the outer ear I use a mild soap, Hylight that I get from the vet's office, it smells like coco butter and it dermatolgist tested so it won't irritate the skin. For the inner ear, I put in a few Flush drops (blue liquid available at the vet) and then soak it up with some cotton and that rids the odor. Hope this helps!

7th February 2007, 12:32 AM
It is possible they might have an ear infection too - especially if they are also scratching their ears. You might want to have your vet look at their ears if you have any concerns about it.

7th February 2007, 01:45 AM
When my dogs ears smell, it has been ear mites with an ear infection.

7th February 2007, 02:27 AM
If you are concerned, talk to a vet. People's idea of 'a smell' is highly variable. :) Most ears will smell a bit, slightly waxy. If the odor is strong, it is often a problem -- ear mites or an infection. You can gently clean the outer ear area with special wipes or a lightly dampened cotton ball or pad. Overcleaning can irritate the ear canal and cause problems that weren't there in the first place. So minimal cleaning, then; and check with a vet to see if your idea of a smell is the vet's idea of a problem smell if you are concerned. :) That will set your mind at rest either way. As noted if the dog is also scratching a lot at its ears then get a vet to check them properly.