• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ear Odor

Harley & Carley

My girls ears seem to smell especially " doggy", but they look clean. Is this normal and what can I clean them with to get rid of the odor?

Is this for the outer or inner ear? For the outer ear I use a mild soap, Hylight that I get from the vet's office, it smells like coco butter and it dermatolgist tested so it won't irritate the skin. For the inner ear, I put in a few Flush drops (blue liquid available at the vet) and then soak it up with some cotton and that rids the odor. Hope this helps!

It is possible they might have an ear infection too - especially if they are also scratching their ears. You might want to have your vet look at their ears if you have any concerns about it.

If you are concerned, talk to a vet. People's idea of 'a smell' is highly variable. :) Most ears will smell a bit, slightly waxy. If the odor is strong, it is often a problem -- ear mites or an infection. You can gently clean the outer ear area with special wipes or a lightly dampened cotton ball or pad. Overcleaning can irritate the ear canal and cause problems that weren't there in the first place. So minimal cleaning, then; and check with a vet to see if your idea of a smell is the vet's idea of a problem smell if you are concerned. :) That will set your mind at rest either way. As noted if the dog is also scratching a lot at its ears then get a vet to check them properly.

Back