• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do you do with your dog when your driving?

Natalie

In tonights puppy class our trainer mentioned that puppies need to be restrained in a car, she told us some terrible stories about dogs and owners loosing there life because dogs were allowed loose in the car.
I know this is bad but whenever we are in the car lady always sits on my lap in the passager seat. What's best a crate, a harness that clips to the seat belt. I want her to be secure in the car in case we ever had an accident. I am thinking a harness would be eaiser for us less bulky in the back seat. What's the best make?

Hiya,Sorry not much advice for you but im sure the others will on this site :D
But i just wanted to say Hi as i see your from Lincs too!
Im in Skegness where are you?

I always put Lily in her travel crate in the back seat when we are in the car. It has loops that the seat belt goes through to secure it.

hi i am in lincoln so were not far away from each other at all, how exciting do you want to meet up and go on a cavvy walk?

I am using a Celltei pet carrier that has the ability to be strapped in once Cicero comes home... I am also looking into a pet harness (saw a nice one for sale at petsmart the other day).

shay: is it a soft crate or a wired one? and have you always put her inside the crate when you travel in car from day one if not how did you get her used to it? thanks

Raven i love those carriers they look like normal handbags, quite pricy though are they well made? I could justify it if there worth the money. Just thought of another question how much movement does the dog have if it's in a harness? Anyone know.

mine all go in a large travel crate if all 5 are with us
if not i have 2 harness's i use

Hi Natalie...It's a soft crate. We started putting her in it about a month after we got her. Now she associates it with going in the car. I keep it in the garage, and put it on the floor next to the car and unzip the front flap. She goes right in by herself, no problem. When we get where we are going, mostly my Mom's, we bring it in. When it's time to leave, we say let's go girl, open the flap and she flies right it. She never makes a peep when she's in it. For long trips, it would be too small. I would use her hard sided crate for that. But for short trips it works great. She knows now that if she is going with us, she has to get in her carrier. :)

i am going to look into a soft carrier at least then she can lie down and will probably get used to it quicker as she's used to been in the crate in the house.

We use a seatbelt harness for Mary Alice.

It doubles as her walking harness as well.

The seatbelt goes through the back, we tighten the seatbelt once it's connected, so that she can either sit or lay down.

The only problem, if I leave her in the car, she can escape in less than a minute!!! :shock:

But, it's better than having her loose in the car.

For longer trips, I make her use the hard crate but she hates it! :flwr:

Chester rides in the back seat in a seatbelt harness ALWAYS.

Why you should always have your dog secured in the car: My Aunt lost her beloved little Pomeranian some years ago when she got into a very small fender-bender accident. She was at a stop sign when some idiot ran into the back of her car at a low speed. Her little dog was sitting un-restrained in the passenger seat and he was slammed into the windshield and died instantly from a broken neck. Horrible and definitely preventable.

Mine all sit in their Lookout Carseat . They love it because they sit up high so they can see out of the window and they can also lie down and take a nap if they want to !

I ordered a Lookout from Roxanne last week and can't wait for it to arrive!!!

Lucky is too big nowadays for a normal carrier and loves riding and going places with me. I hope the Lookout is as great as I think it will be. :flwr:

We use a soft sided crate for Molly & Max. (it does have a metal frame to support the sides) I bought a small rectangle pet bed from LL Bean and that fits perfectly in it. I seat belt the crate into the back seat so it won't fly around if we should get into a crash. They seem very comfy in the car with this arrangement.....many times when we get home, they don't want to get out! I used to put toys in it too for them...but not now. All they want to do is sleep when it's time to go in the car.

Back