PDA

View Full Version : how did you name your Cav ?

Sharon 7
7th February 2007, 11:40 AM
by that I mean, where did you get your baby's name from?
Did you look up baby (human) names?
Did you hear the name on TV

I am trying to think up a name for my next Cav, that is not even on order as yet :paw:

Chelle
7th February 2007, 11:57 AM
Bella's name (kind of) pays tribute to her mother, who is named "Belly Dancer" (it's part of one of those long registered names), but "Bella" seemed like a cute spin-off.

Scouty girl
7th February 2007, 12:06 PM
I've been trying not to name my dogs people names. There are some really cool names to use out there. My cav, Scout, was named after a fictional character though, the little girl from the Harper Lee novel, 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I guess that name could go either for a person or a title. My newfie, Breeze, who happens to turn 10 today, was named after a girl from a talk show. I was watching a talk show one day and there was a girl named Breeze on the show. I thought that was an interesting name, so that's where that came from. When I think of names I usually write them down, because if I don't I will forget . :lol:

Andrea&Diva┬┤s mom
7th February 2007, 12:15 PM
When Andrea was born her breeder gave her that name and after 10 weeks she was getting to know her name, first we thought it was strange but we got used to it and when we finally got Andrea home there was no way to change it :lol:

When Diva was born her breeder told us that we could choose her a name but it has to start with a D, so we had 8 weeks thinking of a name and gosh we had a loong long list of names, but we thought the name Diva would really suit a ruby cavalier so we choosed that one :D

*Pauline*
7th February 2007, 12:28 PM
I started to list a few names and Dylan was one we all agreed on. I was just pleased we agreed for a change! Dylan after Bob Dylan. I was thinking of singers names as they can be unusual, not that Dylan is an unusual name but anyway...I call him Dilly too.

Maxxs_Mummy
7th February 2007, 12:38 PM
Maxx was originally called Albert by his breeder. I rather liked this and was going to keep it but my kids wanted to call him Maxx so that was it :roll:

Charlie already came with his name :lol: Our GSD now at the bridge was called Teddy because the kids kept saying she looked like a little teddy bear - we are soooooooooooo original with dog names in this house :lol:

Our cats (also all at the bridge) have got their names in strange ways too Tinkle because he weed as soon as he got in the house, Tufty because she was all black with a white tuft that stuck up on the top of her head, Mogg after the cartoon cat with an M on his forehead (so did Mogg) and Felix after the cat food cat LOL.

enchantingdragon
7th February 2007, 12:39 PM
I knew my first little girl would be named Ellie. My husband and I had a special thing with that name (Its a long story but it started off with a greeting card set we discovered but is no longer available Unfortunately Ellie is a name that sounds rather odd with our last name so we decided it would be our first puppy's name Most of the names I pick out for my furbabies are names that I couldn't see using for a child or one that my husband vetoes for a baby and thus they become names in our reserve for our furbabies I learned the hard way to with one of my cats (Griffin) that if I remotely think I like it for a baby I should save it in reserve rather then use it on an furbaby oh well :sl*p: I love names so I have millions reserved here and there :D

Ste
7th February 2007, 01:05 PM
Cody was named for Brian Cody, Kilkenny team manager :roll: OH is a Kilkenny native :D Our terrier is named Gavin and i've no idea how we came up with that name :lol:

casshon
7th February 2007, 01:13 PM
My Aunt came up with the name Tiki - I think it was a brand of moisturiser or creme she used!

Cassie was the name of a dog on a calendar we had. My Mam always called Cassie 'Honey' and thought that was what we should have called her so when our next dog arrived there was no doubt as to what her name would be - Honey! She has really lived up to her name.

I always liked the name Bella and our Bella is such a beauty she really suited the name. Molly looked just like a 'Molly' and loves to be loved and cuddled!

Some of the names on this forum are fantastic - I do like the more unusual ones. I might start thinking of new names for my next dog.....although that won't be for a long time!

Shay
7th February 2007, 01:30 PM
When I decided I wanted a Cav, I wanted an English name, and Lily came to mind. I'm not sure if it's English or not, but I like it. Her middle name Rose sounded English to me too, and it was my Grandmother's name. Then I realize she had two flower names. :flwr: Oh well, I like them both. When I'm mad at her, which is hardly ever, she's Lily Rose. Most times she's Lil-Lil, Baby Girl, Lil, or Sweetie Girl.

cavlover
7th February 2007, 01:45 PM
I don't know if anyone ever saw the Johnny Carson show that James Stewsert was on and he wrote a poem about his dog named Bo, who died and he loved so much. My husband loved that so much he wanted to name him bo, I didn't like it because it's so plain so we settled on Bobo.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1463490705

Shay
7th February 2007, 02:12 PM
I don't know if anyone ever saw the Johnny Carson show that James Stewsert was on and he wrote a poem about his dog named Bo, who died and he loved so much. My husband loved that so much he wanted to name him bo, I didn't like it because it's so plain so we settled on Bobo.

I did see that show, and loved the poem. I'm telling my age now ;)

blue_star
7th February 2007, 02:32 PM
Toby got his name as someone suggested he looked like a Toby Jug when he was born?????? Don't ask

Taffy because he came from Wales.

As Archie isn't mine, I really don't know where the name came from.

Our collie when I was little was called Lucky, apparently when my nan went to pick him out he was the last one to walk out of the sleeping area he was in.

Cicero's Mummy
7th February 2007, 03:06 PM
I sat around for weeks trying to think of names... we came up with our top 5 girls and boys names... went and picked out our boy... and decided he looked like a Cicero... we let my sister pick out the "middle" name...

So Little Cicero Alexander was named...

Lindsay
7th February 2007, 03:16 PM
Spencer was nameless for about a week. We went back and forth on EVERYTHING, then Josh walked in one day and said "I think his name is Spencer." I agreed.

Izzy was named before we got her. Just something about Izzy stuck with me, and it fit her perfectly.

Tilly's real name is Matilda, which was a royal's name way back when. I think I googled royal names and there was a queen or a princess Matilda at some point, and we just loved it. We were going to call her Mattie, but it just didn't still as well as Tilly.

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Harley & Carley
7th February 2007, 03:24 PM
We let each of our daughters pick out a name and they wanted them to be similar - hence - Harley & Carley

Natalie
7th February 2007, 03:26 PM
saw a film called lady and the tramp when i was little and knew when i could have a cav i would call her lady.

sarahg
7th February 2007, 04:31 PM
Same as you Natalie but i let my daughter pick Ladys name and she was in love with the film Lady and the Tramp ten years ago.

aleethomas
7th February 2007, 05:08 PM
My boyfriend & I wanted a name that meant something to us and his only request was that it wasn't too girly.

The breeder had named her kelly but we didn't like that or think it was fitting.

We named Padden after Lake Padden in WA where we went to college and met. We are definitely west coasters even though we now live in the east and wanted to name her after something from back home.

We get so many weird looks out here when we tell people her name since no one is familiar with it! It's kind of annoying having to explain it every time and spell it out. I think we should just come up with a different name for people we don't know!

Kodee
7th February 2007, 05:21 PM
Well, as my post 2 wks ago showed... I DIDNT IT...DISGRUNTED MOM HERE. Actually, Kodee has come to suit Kodee, as she is much more energetic and comical then we first thought. My daughter picked it as it means pillow which she felt was mighty suitable for a "lap" lovin dog. Apparantly Kodee is an unusual U.S. concenus reported female spelling for Cody. NEXT DOG IS MINE TO NAME!

Lani
7th February 2007, 05:56 PM
I decided to name Lucky "Lucky" because I got him the first week of my new job, and I figured he'd be my little "good luck" charm. It was actually just one of those "aha!" kinda things ...

And if you'd have asked me a month or so before I got Lucky if I'd have named my dog Lucky, I'd have said "no way!" for sure ... too much of a "dog" name!!!

Lucky's name was destiny too ... because besides the new job, when I took Lucky out to go to the bathroom on our way home from getting him, I sat him right in a field of 4 and five leaf clovers. I picked 45 of them and printed up little cards with his picture on them for my friends and laminated a clover on the back for each of them!!!

Here's a scan of his picture with a few of his clovers:

http://static.flickr.com/111/269650030_2754b7b1dc_m.jpg

Once I sat him in the field of 4 leaf clovers, I knew for sure that he was DESTINED to be named Lucky. :flwr:

Linda'nQuincy
7th February 2007, 06:17 PM
Quincy was with us for a couple of weeks before we decided on the name. We wanted one that would "fit" him. I have an elderly uncle named Quincy whom I have not seen for years as he lives far from us. I remembered Uncle Quincy as being humourous and fun loving, just like Mr. Q. Once I said the name to our puppy, we knew it was the one.......It is so funny as all of our neighbors greet him by name when we take our walks. I guess the name is unusual enough that people remember it.

Shay
7th February 2007, 06:25 PM
Here's a scan of his picture with a few of his clovers:

http://static.flickr.com/111/269650030_2754b7b1dc_m.jpg

Once I sat him in the field of 4 leaf clovers, I knew for sure that he was DESTINED to be named Lucky. :flwr:

That is such a cute picture! You're right, he looks like a Lucky

molly
7th February 2007, 08:17 PM
Lani, love your story on how Lucky got his name. It was just meant to be!

My DH and I are golfers. When we got our Duffy, he was almost 5. My Dh said "He's an old duffer just like me." And Duffy it was. Murphy was the name of another wonderful dog we had years ago and the name just seemed to go with Duffy. Casey is another recylced name from a prior beloved dog and we kind of decided to keep the last name thing going. Katie was just a "Katie" from the time she entered our home. But I have to admit I had Kate Hepburn in the back of my mind.

Claire L
7th February 2007, 08:23 PM
:rah: :mexwav: :hppybdy: Breeze!! :jmp2: :*nana: :thmbsup:

StacyC
7th February 2007, 08:44 PM
Charlie just looked like a Charlie. He either looked like that or a Sammy. But Darla is a funnier stroy. On top of teaching, I do medical billing out my home, and I was entering patient information, and I came across the name Darla. I had been throwing names around for her months, but then I heard that and I thought it was so cute. So thats how Ms. Darla came to be Ms. Darla!

Sharon 7
7th February 2007, 08:47 PM
They are all great stories, thanks everyone :D

Friday's Mommy
7th February 2007, 08:49 PM
My teenage daughter picked out Friday's name. She wanted something unique and different....typical teenager, of course! She spent a long time thinking it through and the name Friday just seems to fit her perfect.

It gets comical at times especially when I'm trying to make an appointment for her on a certain day of the week. We were planning on her having puppies and naming them other days of the week but we decided not to breed her.

markcpops
7th February 2007, 09:37 PM
Sweep was the breeders name.
Dudleys breeder name was Tinker but we did not like it. We named him after the angel in the Bishops Wife!

msunter
7th February 2007, 10:00 PM
Hi All

Our boy's name came from my younger sister Kimberley, the night he arrived home, she started shifting names around then we did a few searches for dog's names to no avail, then she just came up with the name Rio, she still doesnt know where it came from and there are definitely no dogs round our way called Rio :lol:

She just looked at him and called him Rio, she said "he just looks like a wee Rio" plus my Dad loved the name.

It was better than what he was called at the breeders "Scooby Junior" :roll:

Very original :sl*p:

Melissa

Lynn
7th February 2007, 10:06 PM
Our first dog's name was Maggie. (she was a terrier/sheep dog mix who died in 2001) When we decided to get another dog I knew that I wanted a name that sounded somewhat like 'Maggie'....and 'Molly' does! (PLUS, I love the name Molly.) 6 Weeks after we got Molly, we decided to get her a sibling...so we needed a name that went well with 'Molly' and we settled on 'Maxwell'. To me, 'Molly & Max' are easy to say...rolls off the tongue easily. I know that they are two very common names for dogs, not very original...but they are easy to say/remember and that is important to me.

This is a GREAT topic...love reading the stories. Thanks!!!

Lynn

PamH
7th February 2007, 11:19 PM
When we saw Miss Madeleine at the breeders we had no idea what to call her. My husband asked me and out of the blue I came up with Princess Madeleine. The breeder said she already had a Lady Madeleine registered so I picked Miss Madeleine. Which really, really suits her.
But I have no idea why I liked it. Miss Madeleine's name at the breeder was something I didn't care for, but her sister's name was Lucy. Which I really like.
Pam

Cicero's Mummy
7th February 2007, 11:47 PM
When we saw Miss Madeleine at the breeders we had no idea what to call her. My husband asked me and out of the blue I came up with Princess Madeleine. The breeder said she already had a Lady Madeleine registered so I picked Miss Madeleine. Which really, really suits her.
But I have no idea why I liked it. Miss Madeleine's name at the breeder was something I didn't care for, but her sister's name was Lucy. Which I really like.
Pam

have you ever seen the kids cartoon madeleine... everytime see your avatar or you have written her name I start singing the song... :)

huesiemama
7th February 2007, 11:56 PM
Well our pup's name was Ariel when we adopted her at 6 months of age. So we kept the name. (Also, I am a huge Joss Whedon fan, and Ariel is the name of an episode and planet on the short lived TV show Firefly)

Remali
8th February 2007, 04:16 AM
I really wanted a British-sounding name, seeing as Cavaliers are a British breed. So, I looked up dog names online, pondered over a few, and then I saw the name Bentley, and that was it!

:)

lbyerline
8th February 2007, 04:40 AM
When Belle arrived in our home she immediately let us know that we had a Princess on our hands. My youngest daughter who likes to think she is also a princess came up with the name of Belle. So Princess Belle came about, we call her Belle for short.
Sammy just happened and the name fits him so well. If we were to change it, it would be Bob. I know that sounds silly but Bob is just as fitting for him as Sammy.

We adopted our cat from the local shelter and her name was "Fleur" a little to French and it did not suit her at all.
She soon turned Sammy into a cat and the 2 of them tear through the house and she is a complete and total "Spaz" so we had no choice but to change her nae

judy
8th February 2007, 08:24 AM
Enjoyable thread.
thanks for the photos of the 4 leaf clovers.

zack's call name from the breeder was casper. The broker's 8 year old daughter changed it to Zack, she thought Casper was a sucky name that didn't fit him. i got used to thinking of him as Zack so i didn't change it. Before i met him, i had looked at names on the internet and had picked out a list of them. I thought i was going to get a female and i liked the name Chelsea. there were lots of boy and girl names i liked, some of which are the names of dogs on this forum.

I must say, Zack seems to be a pretty unusual dog name. I haven't met another dog named Zack yet, although someone on this forum, i dont' remember who now, said they had a dog named Zachary, it was a large breed. Zachary is Zack's proper name which i put on his AKC papers, but i only call him Zachary if he's done something really annoying, and then i use it together with his last name.

our cat Fluffy was very small when we got her from the pound and we didn't know what she was going to turn out like. My daughter who was 9 at the time had always wanted a pet named Fluffy so she named the cat Fluffy. Fluffy turned out to be a thin small sleek short haired cat though.

My daughter, at age 22, got her first dog, Belle the cavalier. Lisa chose the name Belle because she is a huge Disney fan and Belle is named after the main character in Beauty and the Beast. Their cat, Aurora, is named after the main character in Sleeping Beauty.

When we got Fluffy, we had been planning on getting another cat at the pound instead that we had visited the day before, it was an adult cat with a damaged eye. The cat was very friendly and stuck its paw through the cage to connect with us. So we named that cat Loving Paw. But then the next day when we went to get Loving Paw, Fluffy was there, and my daughter had a hard choice between the two, and Fluffy was crawling up desperately on the cage trying to get to us, as if to say "Take me, Take me," and wistfully we chose Fluffy instead of Loving Paw.

We had some strays in our backyard that lived and hung out in our backyard which we came to consider our cats, they were Pretty Face, Broken Ear and Stamp Face. We tended to be very literal and concrete with these names.

Our neighbors had two cats, Huey and Sebastian. Hughy was named after Huey Newton. Then, new neighbors moved in and they had a kitten named Champ. The name fit his personality perfectly. When they moved i was really sad to see him go. i wanted to steal him, he was charismatic, quite the personality.

Fraggle
8th February 2007, 08:42 AM
Bella came out simply because I wanted a pretty name that wasn't that common. I thought Bella being Italian for 'beautiful' was entirely appropriate for my lovely girl. I also wanted a name that was short and simple to call and not too wimpy sounding.

PamH
8th February 2007, 12:53 PM
have you ever seen the kids cartoon madeleine... everytime see your avatar or you have written her name I start singing the song... :)[/quote]

No, I haven't. what's it about?
Pam

Cicero's Mummy
8th February 2007, 01:03 PM
have you ever seen the kids cartoon madeleine... everytime see your avatar or you have written her name I start singing the song... :)

No, I haven't. what's it about?
Pam[/quote]

Here is a link that tells more about the cartoon... I used to watch it when I was young...

http://www.tv.com/madeline/show/5893/summary.html

and here is the theme that I sing in my head...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sj2XOhC1YlM

It is actually a great theme song for a Cavalier... now that I listen to it all, not just the chorus... :) Her friend Pepito was my favorite!

Nean
8th February 2007, 01:10 PM
I let my granddaughter name our Laci. The Scott Peterson trail was going on at the time and I was really concerned that maybe I had had it on to often when my granddaughter chose "Laci". It didn't occur to me until several months later that she had not picked Laci because of the Peterson trial invading our livingroom almost daily, but she had chosen "Laci" after a teenage babysitter that I sometimes used! I was so relieved!

Nean

enchantingdragon
8th February 2007, 02:29 PM
I love these stories and learning why your pups have their names! :D Im a big name fiend as well so I love hearning new names to add to my lists!

KimNIndy
8th February 2007, 05:03 PM
Indy is from Indiana Jones. In the third film there is a scene where it comes out that Indiana (whose real name is Henry Jones Jr. I think...bit tired and spaced out today) actually called himself Indiana after his beloved dog.

it stuck in my mind as a great name for a dog and when indy came along i got to use it. i did have to fight for it though because my DH wanted to call him Leonard after Leonard Cohen... leonard is cute and all but indy is just so much more of an indiana jones than a leonard cohen.

the only problem is that no one ever connects it with indiana jones and always think he is a girl called indy.....oh well!

whenever we get another (hopefully sooner rather than later) i want a ruby girl and i'll call her scarlett after one of my all-time favourite heroines....

k

jill
8th February 2007, 06:01 PM
max got his name from my favorite beatles song, maxwell's silver hammer...

my fiance's little 4 year old niece wants a puppy and she is set on naming it starburst... i think little kids come up with some of the best names.

Cicero's Mummy
8th February 2007, 06:06 PM
max got his name from my favorite beatles song, maxwell's silver hammer...

my fiance's little 4 year old niece wants a puppy and she is set on naming it starburst... i think little kids come up with some of the best names.

when my littlest sister was born, my younger sister (the middle child) wanted to name her Webigail (from DuckTales). We still tease both of them to this day...

enchantingdragon
8th February 2007, 06:08 PM
when my littlest sister was born, my younger sister (the middle child) wanted to name her Webigail (from DuckTales). We still tease both of them to this day...

Ducktails a woo hoo!!

KimNIndy
8th February 2007, 08:44 PM
yes they do-----and some of the silliest!

when my brother was 4 we had a turtle live with us for a couple of months...he named her lulu.

k

msunter
8th February 2007, 10:55 PM
Hi All

Talking of weird names my friends dog that they rescued a few years ago from a block of flats is called "Weegil" mostly because she was a tiny little thing covered in fleas and obviously not cared for. :( Vet thought she was about a year old. She stayed with the police overnight and nobody claimed her, my friend said she is the best dog they've ever had. Her name just means "Wee girl" We are scots so we pronounce "Wee" as in tiny or small. It really suits her. Now she is blind and diabetic, but still a lovely little dog. :)

She also has fish called Mario and Luigi (Super Mario Brothers) Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo and Raphael. (The Turtles) :lol: She named them all too when she was young ! My friend also has five birds, three are cockateils and two are budgies. Cockateils are Millie, Mixie, Scotty, and budgies are Timothy and Cheeky, her other Cockateil died last Christmas, he was a wonderful very tame bird, and called Jancen.

My friends aunts five dogs are also called Taz(golden retriever), Jenna(border collie), Tiegan (boxer pup), Megan (black lab cross) and Rory (golden labrador) and her other relative has a tri-colour cavvy called Trudy, we nicknamed her "The Trudester" as she is so mischevious.

She also used to have Breha (pronounced Breea) which was Jenna's Mum.

Her hamsters were also called Smokey, Ginger and Thingmajig as she couldnt think up good names for them. :lol:

I also had a goldfish called Abraham, loved the wee thing bless his fins! Devastated when he passed away ! :( :( My sisters called theirs Cuddles and Marina. :roll:

We also had two white budgie brothers called Felix and Oscar and my adopted cat called Monsieur Black Jack ( I was five when I named him) :roll: :sl*p:

My great aunt also has very nice names for her cats - Bugsy, who recently passed away at Christmas, poor thing was knocked over by a car and left to die. :( She also had a ginger tom called Hamish and two tabbies called Tara and Tammy, two sisters. Now she only has Josie and lost her beloved Tamzin earlier last year, she also has a dog called Shona.

Hope you enjoyed the post, with all the weird and wonderful names.

Melissa :flwr:

katc10
12th July 2007, 01:53 AM
Both our dogs were a struggle, because we had names picked out, but both times wound up with the opposite sex we had planned on!

Our first was supposed to be a boy and we were going to name him Bowser (we had a Super Mario theme going on with pet names at the time, with a lizard named Yoshi), but wound up with the boy's twin sister, and the breeder was from Indiana, so we named her Indy!

When we got Charlie we went to the breeder thinking we would pick out a girl and name her Kali, but then we fell in love with a little boy instead, and we're both into Japanese Anime and wanted to give him a Japanese name, but he didn't seem sophistocated enough for one, so we named him Charlie (after King CHARLES Spaniel, of course), and it suits him perfectly. :D

Karen S.
12th July 2007, 02:37 AM
Cooper was named after Agent Cooper on the Twin Peaks tv series.(named by my daughter)

Princess Puddles was named Princess becaused she acts like one and Puddles because she was hard to housebreak and always making a puddle in the floor.

Lucky got his name because we felt so lucky to get him. He almost went to another family. We actually call him Luckypup most of the time.

Willow was named for the little person in the movie Willow. (named by my daughter)

Grace was also named by my daughter but she never gave me a reason so Grace is just Grace.

loveisokay
13th July 2007, 10:41 AM
I had no idea what to call my puppy. I wanted something that wasn't a common person's name nor a name that wasn't a name, if you see what I mean. I had been looking at mythilogical names & so on. In the end, I couldn't find one I liked so looked on a baby name website & got as far as Aoife in the A section. :o I love the name Eve/Evie/Eva anyway but not to "waste" on a puppy.

Rj Mac
13th July 2007, 01:39 PM
When we got Jake, our Black Lab he was around 6 months old, and we got him from a local rescue home, so we liked the name and by that age we didn't think it would've been fair to change it :D

Lucy was different, we've had her since 8 weeks old, and we'd racked our brains for ages for a name, and had a massive list to pick from.....and it was Kieran that picked out Lucy....which we loved, and it suited her from day 1 :thmbsup: Plus it's an easy nam for Kieran to say :D

And Megan allready had her name when she came home, and it's a name we both love :luv:

Jen
13th July 2007, 02:09 PM
We got Abbey when she was two. Her breeder named her Amy; sold her when she was a year old--her new owners changed her name to Abbey. We kept it, she looks like an Abbey and we just couldn't change her name for a third time.

We had a few names for Gus, but none of them fit once we got him. He was nameless for the first day we had him! :o Then we realized he looked like a scruffy old man and somehow came up with the name Gus and thought it was fitting. :-p

Our cats are Niko and Jackson, both names we just liked; no special meaning behind them.

Now what do we really call them?
Abbey is Little Mama, Gus is Gusser, Niko is Boobie and Jack is Doodle :-p

katc10
13th July 2007, 05:24 PM
Grace was also named by my daughter but she never gave me a reason so Grace is just Grace.

My parents have a Gordon Setter named Gracie (Lady Grace on her papers). We named her that because when they got her, she was a huge klutz! Well my grandpa used to say "careful grace!" whenever I tripped as a kid, and we were saying it to the dog all the time until one day it just clicked! Name her Gracie! :)

Justine
13th July 2007, 06:46 PM
Alfie name came from me,i didnt hear it ,we were driving to choose a pupy and i said to hubby ,we are going to call him Alfie.And that was it.boring i suppose.

jld
13th July 2007, 07:55 PM
When we decided to get our first cavalier puppy a few months ago, I started thinking and thinking of names for her. I had lists going, but nothing ever stood out or seemed exactly right. One day I happened to be watching TV and they were talking about Dixie Carter, the actress, and the name Dixie just seemed to be the name that was right for her. I especially liked it because we are from Texas and it seemed like a good 'ol southern name. Now that we have her, it fits her perfectly she truly is a little southern belle.

gocamping
13th July 2007, 09:31 PM
Riley our lab got her name, because both times I was pregnant, my hubby used to never agree on names. Thank goodness we never had a boy, because we could never agree on boy names! I really like the name Riley. Finally, one night I yelled at Bob. Ok, that's it. When we get the lab, if it's a girl I am naming her Riley! So we did.

Libby was so much harder. The litter was due on July 4th. So we started thinking it should be a name that stood for that holiday. I really liked the name Spirit. For three reasons, the holiday, the cavalier spirit because we wanted to do therapy work. Since we also travel, I liked traveling free Spirit. Once we picked her up, my girls kept saying she doesn't look like a Spirit. So for a whole week, she didn't have a formal name. My husband kept calling her Biscuit and still does. The kids started called her Libby, dibby doo. So we extended it to be Lady Liberty Belle. Belle, because I absolutely love Beauty and the Beast. Plus, since we trained her to ring the bell to go out, there are days I want to wrap that bell around her neck!

I am still thinking the next cavalier will be named Spirit! lol

Harry & Heidi's mom
13th July 2007, 09:44 PM
Harry is named after Harry Potter, he was called Bentley by his breeder but that seemed too "posh" for us lol, when we told his breeder what we'd decided to call him they started his nickname "the wizard"
He suits his name and he also has out of control black hair just like harry potter!

We were trying to keep the Harry Potter theme, and we quite like the name James for a boy, and melissa is desperate for a girl cav to name her Ginny!!!
but i also love the name Morgan

mrsfarmer
16th July 2007, 10:06 PM
When I first started thinking about getting a cavalier, I started making a list of names. But we ended up getting a mini schnauzer first, so I let my husband choose a name from my list. Trace was a dj on the radio, her real name is Tracy, but they were always calling her Trace. So that is the name my hubby choose. But since our mini is a male, his full name is Tracer.
Our two cats don't have very original names, Goldie & Blackie. Since cats don't usually come when you call them, we didn't really think about naming them good names!;)
I still have my list for when we do get a cavalier! After reading this post, I love the name Breeze! I might have to add it to the list!:dogwlk:

Bronte
17th July 2007, 01:08 AM
What a great thread!!

Well, Chesney got his name from his daddy "Kenny" and our favourite "Kenny Chesney."
Him being a Blen, the chesnut color combo it fits even more.

His full name is Kalidunn Kenny's Chesney.

http://static.flickr.com/104/260895825_333be1cf23_o.jpg

Dad Kenny:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/softwaregirl/Kennyadult.jpg

Kalidunn Kenny's Chesney:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/softwaregirl/Chesney060707-2.jpg