• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Food for a Pup

noelie

Hi,

I have 12 week old Cavalier. :D

All I have been feeding him is some Mixing of biscuits (put in boiling water to gert soft) and Tinned dog food in Jelly. :(

Can I feed him Raw Vegetables. Potatoe/ Carrots / Brocoli. Pata in Sauce or can you feed him rice.

I have been told that dogs like Hamburgers boiled and mixed with boiled rice. If true can you serve it hot??

Noelie :roll:

You can feed all those things (except potato which isn't considered very good so I'd avoid that), but it is VERY IMPORTANT that a puppy get correct nutrients. You need to really study some dog nutrition books to make sure he is getting what he needs from a home designed diet and also -- this is probably a bit too much soft stuff as the basis of the diet. That means teeth can be more at risk because he isn;t getting any good scraping activity (though carrots and broccoli stems for example are good for this! :). By biscuits do you mean treat biscuits or actual dogfood? I know different people use different terms -- but treat biscuits are treats, not the basis for meals. Also you really don;t need to soften the food unless you want; at 12 weeks his teeth are more than sharp enough to handle the crunchiness! You could add a small amount of warm (not boiling) water if you like.

I would get a good quality ADULT dry food -- I recommend either Royal Canin 27 (for small breeds) or James Wellbeloved -- which you can get at most petshops (supermarket food is all of very so-so quality). Feed half dry food, and half whatever of these good things you mentioned that you want to add. The best tinned food available in Ireland IMHO is Butchers but not many places carry it anymore. :( You could go for puppy food of the above brands but most breeders I have discussed this with say and adult food is better and more balanced.

Here's a recipe or two for some good balanced homecooked diets. This is primarily what I feed my dogs.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=748

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1713

In the same section there are recipes for dog treats.

Karlin,

Thanks for the links. There some good ideas in there. I didnt realise that you can feed dogs so much variety.

I generally feed him half tinned food and half mixer nuts(large bags in supermarket).

He generally gets treats that are full of Vitamins etc.

Noelie

Karlin said:
You can feed all those things (except potato which isn't considered very good so I'd avoid that
Confused here, isnt potatoe what Innova Evo substitutes grain for, claiming its better than cereal? Or do you mean, if she is cooking from scratch she should avoid adding extra potatoe?

Back