PDA

View Full Version : SORTED: Can any of our US members help this lady ?

Barbara Nixon
8th February 2007, 07:47 PM
Can anyone in the States help this poor lady ?

On Feb 8, 2007, at 1:14 AM, XXX wrote:

It is with great sadness that I write that I need to find a forever home for my six year old retired AKC Champion Blenheim male Cavalier. If any of you knows someone who would love this sweet fur boy, please contact me as soon as possible.

I have had him since he was 10 months old and love him dearly, but our financial situation has become such that we can no longer financially meet our own needs let-a-lone his needs. His veterinary needs are NOT excessive, just more than we can afford now and our situation is not expected to improve anytime soon. I think we have even stumped the financial expert from our church that has been trying to help us. He agrees that we are not wasting our money or spending it foolishly and that we are doing all that we can to change our situation. Also, I am disabled, which does not help matters. I want what is best for my fur boy and given our current situation, it is best for him that I find someone else who will love and care for this sweet little fur boy.

Again, if any of you knows someone who would love this sweet fur boy, please contact me as soon as possible. The way things look now, I may only have until February 18th or 24th to find a home for him before I might be forced to turn him over to cavalier rescue and that would break my heart even more than it already does that I have to find him another home and can not keep him myself. It is very hard but I can handle having to find another home for my fur boy, but It is really tearing me up to even think about having to turn my furboy over to rescue. Please help me find a forever home for him.

Additonal details about our situation or this fur boy are available privately upon request. (Permission to crosspost granted.)

(details removed by Karlin)

__._,_.___

Cicero's Mummy
8th February 2007, 07:52 PM
Oh my that is so sad... i hope they find a good home for him!

matties mum
8th February 2007, 08:59 PM
Oh how sad ---Aileen and the gang(Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

My Wesley
8th February 2007, 09:03 PM
As I'm obviously looking for a buddy for Wesley, I sent an e-mail to her. I'd love to help if she likes us! We'll see. Now there are two in the running....

Barbara Nixon
8th February 2007, 10:43 PM
I hope something works out. The poor lady seems really desparate.

Cathy T
8th February 2007, 11:25 PM
I talked with her by phone for a while this morning. She is in contact with Kathy Hebert (did I spell that right?!) but wants to try to place him herself. I was saddened by her comment about rescue being a last resort and called to talk to her about rescue. She has already placed a b&t she needed to rehome. Hopefully she'll find him a good home.

My Wesley
9th February 2007, 12:22 AM
I totally feel for her. That would have to be the hardest thing to do. I spoke with her on the phone and she's doing her absolute best to place Spencer with the best family possible. He has a few minimal medical needs that will need attention, but it's worth it!

Maxwell&me
9th February 2007, 02:15 AM
I wish nothing but the best for this dog and his mummy.....

Nancy
9th February 2007, 12:51 PM
The dog is going back to his breeder. There is a lot more to this story than you know, and this is really the best thing and the first thing that should have happened.

arasara
9th February 2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the update Nancy. :( I know I keep repeating myself but this type of stuff is exactly why insurance is out there. I couldn't imagine being in this lady's situation - I would probably end up selling muffins on the street corner in lieu of giving them.

*fingers crossed* that things go well with Spencer's transition :flwr:

Nancy
9th February 2007, 01:10 PM
His Vet bills were not a huge amount if indeed this arthritis was the problem which it appears was.

Barbara Nixon
9th February 2007, 01:31 PM
Unfortunately some people have the image of rescue as being kennels, ie a pound situation, rather than staying in a home and perhaps going directly from old to new owner.

I talked with her by phone for a while this morning. She is in contact with Kathy Hebert (did I spell that right?!) but wants to try to place him herself. I was saddened by her comment about rescue being a last resort and called to talk to her about rescue. She has already placed a b&t she needed to rehome. Hopefully she'll find him a good home.

Karlin
9th February 2007, 02:23 PM
There's often several sides to some of these stories, as Nancy notes. Bottom line: any retired champion should always have gone back to the breeder as the very first step and usually that is actually stipulated in the homing contract -- at only 6, he cannot have been retired very long. If that was not possible, next step would be contacting the local or regional breed club who would undoubtedly have many likely homes for a retired breeder dog -- if the breeder were deceased, many colleagues would step in to help. If he is intact this would have been of the utmost importance, too.

Also most breeders don't insure dogs -- they have way too many for that -- and anything he has was probably uninsurable as a pre-existing condition (eg arthritis). Insurance is expensive too for many people; don't forget. People's financial situations change, not all, especially retirees, can do anything to pay for a dog's medical bills. Just to emphasise it is important not to base the decision on the affordability of a dog over its lifetime on insurance covering illnesses as many can get excluded or will not be covered anyway.

I am not surprised many moved quickly to help on the breeder side of things, and am glad this is being sorted -- and thanks to those who tried to help. :) I have removed the contact details from the original post. :thmbsup: